Atria Port St. Lucie - Port Saint Lucie, FL

assisted only; 70 apartments; approx $3800 for 1 br.

Great Memory Care facility with outstanding caregivers.

Our mother has been living happily and well-cared for at Brookdale Port St. Lucie Clare Bridge Memory for four years. She has a lovely room with wonderful, loving caregivers who take excellent care of her every need as quickly as possible. As we go to our respective jobs every day, we know, as her daughters, that Mom is safe and secure, that she enjoys her meals and snacks, that she has activities that fit her abilities and skills, and that she receives her medications in a timely manner by a quality nursing staff, who monitor her throughout the day for any possible issues which might arise. We have constant communication with the nursing staff and her caregivers so that we know what Mom needs and what the staff need to help keep her as happy and healthy as possible in her continuning struggle with Alzheimers. We are grateful every day that our Mother is able to live in this wonderful, home-like atmosphere with caregivers who treat her as if she were their own Mother. Very often she believes her caregivers are her children which tells us there is a mutual respect and love between them that only comes with genuine kindness and sincere concern for the residents. For all the loving care Mom receives and also for the Memory Care Unit director who continues to make certain that her residents are safe, secure and comfortable; that they receive any necessary medical care as soon as possible; and who is readily accessible to us to answer our ever-continuing questions as we learn daily of the new issues Mom faces with this horrible disease, we are so very thankful. It is a second "home" for us not only because Mom is there, but also because the directors and staff have created a family atmosphere that works.....and it works well. Four years......and we're still very happy!

A very cheerful and nice facility. [Removed] took her time in showing me around. There are activities from 10 am til 8pm so there's lots of time to socialize. I will go back to see again, but I thought it was a possibility for my mother.I can't remember prices so I will definitely have to return for another look.

Impressive Community

From what my brother has told me this is a wonderful community. My mother has adjusted very well to this community, and she likes it. He says the people at the community are beyond kind. The meals are wonderful, she is pleased with them. She loves her room, and she is overall very happy here. We are very impressed with this community.

DO NOT put your family member here

The memory care unit is HORRIBLE! DO NOT put your family member there. The staff doesn't truly understand how to take care of residents with Dementia or Alzheimer's. The Assisted Living residents are the only ones who get to participate in the events that happen there. Most of the staff are two-faced and document incidents differently than what really happens, especially in the higher positions. Communication between the staff and family, as well as, the staff and resident's doctors is horrible. I have so many complaints about this establishment. There are only a select few staff members who truly understand and care for the residents how they need to be cared for. From what I have seen, heard, and dealt with at this facility, the resident's safety and well-being is definitely NOT their priority; nor is providing quality care and service to the residents, unless it is from one of the very select few staff members whom actually care. Sadly, most of the staff members would rather the residents be overly medicated and more dormant than anything, especially if the resident is in the Memory Care Unit. Resident items are constantly being lost, medications are being mismanaged and even missed completely at times, residents aren't checked on as often as the staff claims, and the resident rooms aren't checked for appropriate temperature, cleaning or maintenance. My list of complaints can go on and on.

Great property, excellent staff and very welcoming.

Nice size apts. with beautiful hardwood floors. "Opulent" community areas. Newly remodeled.

Didn't feel comfortable!

I was able to take a tour at this community and I would have to say that I did not like it. The people were nice and helpful, but the comfort level was not where I thought it should be. The place didn't seem friendly at all. I probably would not recommend this place.

Great Care for

I am happy with this community. The staff members are very nice and friendly. The meals are outstanding here and a good variety. The activities are wonderful for her. I would highly recommend this for other families for excellent care.

Brookdale Port St. Lucie is a great place for respite care!!!!

This community is beautiful and a place where you would want a family member to be. They make you feel like part of the family. The food was great. The staff went above and beyond I had no worries while she was there. This community is clean and I would choose this place if we needed a full time community.

Very disappointed with everyone. They sent my mom to the ER then never did I hear from anyone on her condition. I never got a call from Wendy to find out my refund even tho I talked to someone that was suppose to have her call me later the day I picked her stuff up an told them she was in hospice care. Almost a week later still no call from anyone to check on her. She has passed away

Things are coming along

Well things are coming along. There are a few things going on that I am checking into and they are working with me and they seem really nice. I am sure my folks are doing alright. It's a really nice place. They are very cooperative there.

Horizon bay very nice.
Loved the staff and the location.
Would be my first pick.

Too bad it couldn't have been longer

The process of getting my mother into Horizon Bay was excellent. Unfortunately, the day after she moved in she became ill and spent only 3 nights in residency and was then taken to the hospital where she passed away. Mother was a very particular and I found her very happy about moving to Horizon bay, both for the services and value. I wish she could have enjoyed more time in her new home. Sales Representative, Barbara, was easy to work with and very compassionate during our experience.

The best place for my mother!

I was devastated when I was told my mother needed 24/7 care. I vistited several facilities in the area but had a really good feeling about Horizon Bay. I wanted my mother to feel she was "at home". Some of the other facilities looked like 5 star hotels. That's not what we needed. We needed a comfortable, friendly, homey place where she would be taken care of and be happy. My mother's room is huge, freshly painted, looks out over the garden. She loves it. Mom says the food is great. Everyone treats her with respect. Whenever we go she is clean, well fed and happy. She is no longer alone, there is always someone for her to talk to or something to do. There isn't a "hospital smell". We can go visit anytime. This was not an easy decision to make, but Barb didn't give up on me, and helped me out along the way. Now that she's been in for a while and has adjusted, I can honestly say it was the best choice I could have made for my mother. I would highly recommend Horizon Bay for anyone looking for a safe, clean, caring home for their elderly loved ones.

Horizon Bay - friendly and helpful

My brother and sister-in-law are current residents at Horizon Bay Assisted Living.
I usually visit for a week, twice a year. I stay with them the entire day, have meals with them, other than when we go out for dinner occasionally.
Meals are good and balanced in nutrition. Fast service.
Coffee is available in the lobby from 6:30 am.

I have found the staff, from the director of the facility, and finance, wellness and activity directors not only to be very friendly, but assisting in those areas as well when needed.

I've made many phone calls and they are usually returned the same day.
Hugs from 2 directors when I leave.
Entertainment is very good and the residents usually get into the activity (applauding)
Spent a lot of time outside on their rocking chairs and other residents were friendly and talkative.

Grateful Caregiver

I found Horizon Bay to be a wonderful, caring, home for my husband. The employees were over and above in their caring for the residents. Their activities were not the best for my husband, who spent most of his day walking. He never cared much for sitting activities. He did join in on the dancing, however. The food was delicious and he was cared for very well.

They did a good job.

They did a good job. We weren't there very long, before my mother passed. They were wonderful and kind and helpful, though. They couldn't have been nicer. They took very good care of her.

Very nice place!

So far they've done an excellent job at Horizon Bay of Port St Lucie! My loved one couldn't be happier here! The staff are all very friendly, and the facility itself is well kept and clean. They have a wonderful dining service, everyone is seated and given a menu, just like a restaurant! I have heard my loved one complain that there could be a bit more variety, you'll see a lot of the same things available every few days, but the food itself is good!

very impressed with facility

Caring, hands-on staff

We've had a good experience so far with Horizon Bay, they do an excellent job here. It is a smaller facility, so there is a good caretaker to resident ratio. Each residents gets a lot of hands on one-on-one care, and they really do a great job looking out for the people who live here!

They are doing an excellent job.

They are doing an excellent job. They are doing everything they said they would do, they are keeping their promises. I don't have any complaints or concerns. We are very happy with them.

Nice looking place, but very expensive

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. Overall this seemed like a nice enough place, it was clean and the staff all seemed very friendly. However, it was also much more expensive than similar options we looked at, nearly twice as expensive as where she is now. She seemed to like it however, and it was somewhere we are considering.

Didn't care for the facilit...

Didn't care for the facility. Residents seemed to be wandering around without direction. I don't think they are prepared for memory care.

It's a good facility, I would recommend it.

I was quite pleased with the experience at Horizon Bay. They have been quite accommodating. My parents have been together for a very long time, and they really were having a hard time being separated. They needed different levels of care. They have gone out of their way to make sure that they get to be together enough of the day. It's a good facility, I would recommend it.

Unsatisfied Customer

I was very disappointed in Horizon Bay. I placed my father in their memory unit and felt that the care he received was poor. My father was a heavy man and they did not tell me before I placed him their that they didn't have the facilities to help him in and out of bed. When he had to go to the hospital they refused to take him back but didn;t tell us this until we had paid for another month of fees.

Loved this place but financ...

Loved this place but finances are a problem. Wonderful people, bright, nice without any bad smells...lots of activities...and if I had to go to a place I would like it to be this one. But I can't afford it for both parents

Home

Everyone at the facility seems very helpful and friendly and care about the people under their care. My mother-in-law had to enter the memory care section and they keep her busy with activities. They take her out for lunch and or ice cream once a month so that they are out of the building and in the real world. They work with you when you are placing her things in her room to make her feel at home.

Only have Assisted Living a...

Only have Assisted Living and Memory Care options available.

Avoid

Do not send family members to the dementia unit. Not enough staff or safety, care is subpar and activities are not done. People lay in bed all day and sleep. So sad

Had a few issues here

This is a nice enough facility, the staff are friendly and the care is decent. They definitely have room for improvement, however. I feel like although they listen to an acknowledge my comments that they never implement any changes. I also dislike how the front entrance is surrounded by people smoking, and makes the lobby area smell as well. I also have had trouble with their automatic billing service, and when I was overcharged for the first month it took 5 months to get the issue resolved.

Bad for COPD

My brother is a facility administrator at another place; he pointed out several things that we didn't like for someone with COPD. It mostly had to do with the cleanliness of the air conditioning ducts. I think that was the main negative issue. It is an older building and they are probably due for some renovation. On the plus side, we liked the dining room; it was much more spacious.

Attentive, Available Staff

I think they do a good job keeping it clean and they're very attentive. I can call at any time and ask questions. I'm very satisfied with that. I still have sticker shock a little bit. When I think about it, they are managing a lot. I don't think they're super expensive but it is a lot of money and it goes up for managing the medications. It's about $300 or $400 a month depending on how many medication you have. I think it's a lot but then again, I'm not having to run up and do that everyday. It's worth a lot to have them take care of that.

The people that take care of the room my mother is very happy with and the nursing staff is good. The people that do the maintenance are good too. The activity director is very sweet. They've really done a lot to include my mom. I'd say they do a really good job. The exec director is very attentive and available.

It would be nice if they could have more fresh vegetables and things like that. There could be more communication between the family about diet restrictions. It would be nice if there was a set way to request things like that.

Placing mom in assisted living

I flew to Port St. Lucie to line up a place for mom who was in a rehab facility following a fall at her home. Senior advisor had sent me several recommendations to look at as a starting point. My sister and I visited all but one on the list, and chose Horizon Bay. What impressed me the most was the attitude of the residents at the facility who came up to us while we toured and offered the highest praise of Horizon Bay. None of the other places had that same result. The place was clean and well lit, and most of the rooms had some sort of decorations outside the doors. It also helped that this was the least expensive of those visited, and had the best planned activities which mom liked. Finally, the room was small, (as were all those visited), but at 93 this would require very little physical care on mom's part. She has been happy with the choice, and loves the meals.

Horizon Bay located in Port St. Lucie, Fla., is on the west side of US-1 just a half mile west of the St. Lucie Medical Center.

Our apartment-style community offers all of the amenities of home without the work. Imagine a life without household chores, yard work or home maintenance. Invite guests to a meal, special event or social outing.

With our on-site Resident Program Director, scheduled transportation and dining program – there are opportunities to make new friends or entertain old ones right outside your front door.

City Info

Port St. Lucie boasts warm temperatures year-round, as well as good support systems for veterans.

- Median age in zip code: 52.9

- Average weather: Port St. Lucie has an average temperature of 73.15 degrees F, with an annual high of 81.7 degrees F and an annual low of 64.6 degree F.

- Veterans' facilities: Veterans are well supported in Port St. Lucie, with both a PTSD clinical team outpatient program and a veterans services office.

Transportation

Port St. Lucie has an affordable public transit system with additional options for individuals with disabilities, as well as a variety of more private transportation options.

- Buses: Port St. Lucie is served by the Treasure Coast Connector Plus, a local transit system. It has seven main routes, and rides are free for anyone of any age. The Treasure Coast Connector Plus also offers a community transit program for disabled residents. This community transit system picks up the passenger from wherever they request and drives them directly to their destination.

- Taxi services include All Around Town Taxi, Patrick Transportation and Taxi Service, Adam Taxi, Americas Taxicab, Brave Express Taxi, Affordable Taxi, and Aloha Cab Company.

- The rideshare services Uber and Lyft are both available in Port St. Lucie. Seniors can easily download one of the services' apps on their phone and find a ride.

Health and Safety

Port St. Lucie provides lots of options for health care, and Brookdale Port St. Lucie provides additional support for seniors.

- Hospitals: Port St. Lucie boasts dozens of hospitals, which serve the needs of individuals covered by a wide variety of health insurers.

- Port St. Lucie: Guests at Port St. Lucie also have access to physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, a podiatrist, doctors and nurses on call, and hospice care.

Sports and Leisure

Port St. Lucie offers all sorts of options for sports and leisure, whether you're interested in golf, tennis, or hitting the gym.

- Golf courses: There are dozens of golf courses in and around Port St. Lucie, including the top-rated Champion Turf Club at St. James, Palm Cove Golf and Yacht Club, St. Lucie Trail Golf Club, PGA Golf Club at Village, and Eagle Marsh Golf Club.

- Tennis courts: Port St. Lucie offers 19 tennis courts, including the top-rated Tesoro Club, North River Shores Tennis Club, and Lakes At Tradition Hoa.

- Gyms: Port St. Lucie contains dozens of private gyms, such as Gold's Gym, Anytime Fitness, Orangetheory Fitness, Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, and Hard Exercise Works.

Shopping and Entertainment

There are all sorts of shopping and entertainment options in Port St. Lucie, whether you're looking for a bite to eat, a Hollywood blockbuster, or a calm walk in a lovely park.

- Clothes shopping: There are dozens of shopping malls in Port St. Lucie including Treasure Coast Square, a shopping center with a multitude of options for both women's and men's fashions.

- Grocery stores: There are hundreds of grocery stores in and around Port St. Lucie, with options for any price point.

- Restaurants: With hundreds of restaurants covering a wide range of cuisines, it's easy to find a satisfying meal in Port St. Lucie .

- Movie theaters: The AMC Port St. Lucie 14 movie theater not only makes it simple to see Hollywood's new releases, but it also offers discounts for seniors.

- Libraries: The St. Lucie County Public Library System offers three branches in Port St. Lucie, including the Port St. Lucie Branch Library, which offers a vast catalogue of books and public computers.

- Attractions: Port St. Lucie abounds with interesting attractions, including First Data Field, Walton Rocks Beach, the Port St Lucie Botanical Gardens, the Savannas Preserve State Park, Veterans Park, Oak Hammock Park, Spruce Bluff Preserve, and the Treasure Coast Model Railroad Club.

Religious Facilities

Port St. Lucie offers religious facilities for people of many faiths, whether Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu.