Elmcroft of Point Loma - San Diego, CA

Welcome to Elmcroft of Point Loma, located in San Diego, California, offering exceptional Alzheimer’s and dementia care options for seniors.

Elmcroft of Point Loma is an intimate, memory care community designed to provide optimal comfort, care and privacy. Some features include:

• Private and shared memory care apartments
• Charming, home-like community settings
• Common areas for socializing, dining and entertaining
• Easy access for those with limited mobility

Elmcroft of Point Loma’s Heartland Village offers a memory care program utilizing the Best Friends ® approach. Built around each individual’s life history, cultural heritage, current abilities and interests, this “person-centered” approach allows us to care for our residents as we would a beloved family member.

Clean Community!

When I had taken a tour of this community for my loved one I noticed that everything was very well maintained as well clean. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to give us lots of great information on everything they had to offer. It was just not the right fit for my wife in the end decision.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your tour and had a positive experience with us. We are sad to hear you went a different direction.

Care and Comfort

I am happy knowing that my grand mother is in a community with excellent staff. The community is clean and has a good environment. She is happy with the menu of nice meals. I like knowing that she likes to participate with the community activities. We would gladly recommend this community for the care of a loved one.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your positive review! We are so glad to hear that your experiences have been pleasant. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we want to let you know that we love having your grandmother here.

Ask questions first...

Communication is an issue. We didn't get a completely for-right price. We requested a finger nail trim that didn't happen for close to a week. She can damage herself with her fingernails so that was a concern.The food seems to be adequate for a senior. What we were told intentionally for price turned out not to be what we are paying. We were told she could be in a shared room before moving in then they told her she had to be in a single room. We told them intentionally she wears diapers and they added a cost for that. We chose this community because it was close to us and the cost they told us would be feasible.I would urge anyone who is looking into Elmcroft to do their own research before committing.

Megan Strothman

We are sorry you to hear you feel this way. Our mission is dedicated to enriching the lives of the individuals who live and work with us, and we take this mission very seriously. We encourage you to call our Ethics Hotline at [removed] to discuss your concerns.

upon entry

My friend got admitted 3 weeks ago. I keep in touch with staff but have not been able to visit him yet. The staff handled the transition the best they could. I am deeply grateful for their patience and attitude.

Mom Is in Good Hands

This is a community I would recommend, they are taking good care of my mother and her needs. The community is very well maintained, everything is nice and clean when I visit. The staff is great, they are kind and friendly. The food is good, she is satisfied with the meals. I know she is safe and in good hands. They provide great care.

Less Than Perfect Care

I would Not Recommend This Nursing Home. My mother in law was there for 7 months....and the care was less than stellar.They were Always Short Staffed.....and the Aides Seemed To Be More Interested In Socializing Among Themselves...then Taking Care of The Clients

Elmcroft

Cleanliness is awesome.
Rich in maintenance is great; reacts to any special requests in a timely manner.
We are very impressed with the medical care provided by

Very good community!

Things are going fairly good since moving my father to Elmcroft of Point Loma. He is doing pretty well adjusting and doing well. He is well taken care of. Unfortunately, he has lost a couple of things since living there, including a set of dentures. He does participate the best he can in some other their activities they have. The food is good, he eats, which is definitely a good thing. The staff are very friendly. I would say this community is a very good option for others.

over medicating

I am currently upset with the facility. They are grossly over medicating my mother. I have asked to speak with the doctor and it has been over a month and still have not heard anything. My mother can barely walk now because of all the medicine they're giving her.

several things that need improving

At Elmcroft of Point Loma there are several things that need improving. They need to walk the patients more. Also they don't take immediate action on certain things. I have long term insurance coverage for my sister-in-law, they pay part of the payments. Well, the insurance company has requested information from the facility and if they don't get it by a certain date they will cut off the insurance. If that happens I will have to take her out of this facility. So that is something they need to get done.

They Care and Value the Resident

The food was amazing and gourmet. The location was difficult to get in to, with traffic and everything. They are friendly people. The reason Care Services was only 4, is that they don't seem to keep the residents mouth's clean, like brushing their teeth, but I really don't know any place that does. They care for the resident though and value that they are there.

Love it!

Its my father that stays here, and he loves everything. He likes the food and loves the staff. They have done everything that I wanted.

friendly place

Overall the experience with Elmcroft of Point Loma. There have been a couple of challenges with the billing. There have been a few issues here and there with things not being correct. The facility itself is very nice and the people there are very friendly.

Well Kept Facility

All of the staff are really friendly and supportive, well kept facility and enjoy going there. The entry staff was especially helpful and facility was able to provide patient with specific food needs.

Wonderful place for later stages of dementia.

My mom has dementia and is truly in her own little world now yet she is still physically healthy and walks constantly. I am more than pleased with Elmcroft of Point Loma for many reasons. They are caring, kind and compassionate. They are small enough that mom isn't "lost" in the facility, yet she has room to do the walking she loves. Elmcroft is not the facility I would have placed her in when she was first diagnosed with dementia. It's been a gradual progression of finding the right "fit" for the right "stage" of her illness. She has gone from assisted living in her own room at one facility, to a bit more assisted living with shared room at another facility and now her final home is Elmcroft. I would view it as a wonderful place for your loved one when the disease has progressed to the point that they don't need trips to the museum, flower arranging classes, movie nights and such.

Very nice place

This definitely provided the right level of care that my client needed. It was also clean, and the staff was friendly. I did receive more hospitality at another place that I toured though, so I wasn't as impressed with Elmcroft. It is still nice though; I would suggest visiting it yourself to see if it would be a good fit for you.

Toured 1-24-14 I liked the...

Toured 1-24-14 I liked the open layout and it being only1 story. Nice, clean rooms and big dining area, friendly staff, daily walks and activities.

Very Nice Community

Very very nice! It's very clean. they've done a little remodeling and painting down there. I like the fact that they don't let any of the patients stay in their rooms.

They bring them all out into the common area where they have activities., They have two nice porches, sunny areas and covered areas. There's plenty of room to go up and down the hallways so you're not just in a confined area. I needed a place that was secure for my mother because she has dementia.

Toured with director; facility was cl...

Toured with director; facility was clean and residents were well cared for but dining area had a "greasy diner" smell which was a turn-off for me; residents appeared lower-functioning than mom, and likely older; could not envision her fitting in well with current residents and would not recommend this one for her; staff wss attentive and engaged in each patient's care; grounds were beautiful--lovely garden setting; location is perfect, just not a good match for her.

I like their stated philosopy. They ...

I like their stated philosopy. They give opportunity to help out with little daily "chores" to feel productive. They encourage, but do not force participation. It felt very homey there.