Elmcroft of Florence - Florence, SC

9 months in...

My experience with Elmcroft began back in February of this year...9 months ago. There have been good times and not as good times but all in all, the good outweigh the not as good. It’s difficult for anyone to give up their freedom and their home/lifestyle. Elmcroft has been good in that respect. There are daily activities of all sorts and outings to various places on certain days. The food service could be better but three meals a day with choices has to be difficult to plan and prepare perfectly every meal. At times, I have felt the costs are too high for the services received. When I step back and realize that the stress and daily pressure a caregiver carries, it’s worth every dime!

Not good

Very unhappy that was refused access to my father in law they tryed to tell me he didn’t know me and thus couldn't
Say he wanted to see me wrong he was totally aware and called me by name before they made me leave Very disappointed

A Good Fit For My Father In Law

My father in law is taking some time to adjust with his move to this community. However we do feel this is a good fit for him, and his needs. We do feel comfortable with his move to this community. It is a nice community with kind people. The staff is very pleasant, and they have been helpful whenever needed. They do a good job with the cleanliness around the community. There are good activities offered, and nice meals provided. We know he is safe, and in good hands. This a community I would recommend to my family, and friends.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear your father is apart of our Elmcroft family. If there is anything we can do to help him adjust, please let us know!

Wouldn't recommend

I agree with the person Before whose mom
Broke her hip. Absolutely not trained to handle ahlz. Patients. Not proper sanitary care, NEVER have cleaned dentures, supplies we leave aren't used. Bathroom empty of anything and no way for techs to even wash their hands after taking her to toilet. She's been left in filthy depends, stuff missing or broken in room. Patients wonder completely on their own and in others rooms. People left to sit alone in living room while staff socializes in kitchen And about. It's obvious It is only a paid per hour job for them. Our mother lost 50 pounds, they haven't been feeding her as requested or giving water, she stays dehydrated. I must say there are a couple of girls there that absolutely do care, but far and in between. Also, not staffed properly at night or on weekends. It's a tragesty.

Megan Strothman

We are sorry to hear that this has been a negative experience for you. Our mission is dedicated to enriching the lives of the individuals who live and work with us. We take this mission very seriously and we are saddened to hear your comments. What you described in your review is certainly not indicative of how Elmcroft does business or treats their residents. We are known for our compassionate, friendly, and experienced staff who goes above and beyond for our residents. We are truly sorry you felt differently and therefore would like to apologize. With that said, we do have new management that is taking place and we are more confident than ever that we will continue to enrich the lives of others. Again, I am sorry to hear this has been a difficult experience for you.

Loves This Place

My mom and I love this place we are so thankful we found it The staff is wonderful here so kind and attentive. They take mom out to different places for lunch or shopping. She loves the food no complaints. The community is lovely with the landscaping and the inside is so clean

Megan Strothman

Thank you for the kind review! There is no greater honor than to be trusted with a very special member of your family.

Helpful Staff!

My loved one has recently moved into this community and so far things are going well for him. The staff have been helpful and made sure to accommodate his needs as best as they possibly could. They do a great job at maintaining a clean facility for all of the residents which I was impressed with. The only complaint he seems to have is that he is not impressed with the meals he receives.

Megan Strothman

Thank you for your positive review! We are so glad to hear that your experiences have been pleasant. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we want to let you know that we love having your loved one here.

The director said she eats the food-that speaks volumes. The activities look great. There was a lot of visual appeal. Looked like a caring staff.

To many calls!

This community was very nice. The staff that showed us around were very friendly and helpful. We did not see many residents out. The only thing that turned me off from this place was that they called me so much and at inappropriate hours that I had to block them.

Safe Place For My Husband

My husband is doing well here at this community. He is being provided with great care, and the family is pleased. It is a nice community, and they do a good job with keeping everything very neat and tidy. The staff is good, they are thoughtful and kind. We are pleased with all they have done for our family. We know he is safe and in good hands. I would recommend this community.

103 year old mom there for respite care 15 days

I needed a place to leave my mom for 15 days. She was treated very well. She was given assistance as needed and she enjoyed the meals. The cafeteria area was nice with round tables, tablecloths and menus and the individual service was great. Everyone was extremely friendly. Mom enjoyed sitting in the common living room reading the news just like at home. The studio apt was clean and cozy. At the time I believe that she was the only resident of color but she was treated with dignity and respect. Overall a great experience as she had never been away from home and family for that length of time

Elmcroft of Florence seemed like a good community!!

I was very impressed with Elmcroft. The person that took us on tour was very nice and knowledgable. The community is clean. I would move my grandma here if I was to move her closer to me. They offer a wide variety of activities.

From what I have seen and experienced Elmcroft has been good for my mom. Many activities for her to take part in. I live out of state and receive a weekly update on my mom. So far very pleased with care given to my mom.

Quality

The overall quality of life here feels amazing. Feels like home.

Unique place

I use to work in nursing homes. I feel that this place does a lot for their people, it smells good and not like urine. I like the decors and the hugs that they give to the residents even the cooks are nice and that's hard find. Unique place.

Going very well!

Things are going very well at Elmcroft of Florence! It took our loved one a little bit to settle in and get used to things, but now that she is comfortable she really seems to be enjoying it! It's a nice looking facility, the staff is friendly, and they do a great job looking out for everyone.

very kind and helpful

The lady who went over the paperwork with us did an excellent job. She knew her job through and through. She and everyone else is very kind and helpful.

The only area I can even think of where they might could improve (and this is not a big deal at all) is that the place could have better lighting. It has more of a somber rather than sunny feel to it.

But we are very happy with the experience we had with Elmcroft of Florence and would highly recommend them!

Disgusting and negligent in all aspects

This facility is a joke. They didn't have enough staff for the Alzheimer's unit or the assisted living unit. My mother was in the Alzheimer's unit which was a joke They didn't have the staff that was trained to handle these patients. The patients would wonder into other patients rooms take there clothes of and urinate in the hall. When they would sundown in the evenings there wasn't anyone with them. My mom fell 4 times within 6 weeks of staying there. I had the head nurse calling my moms doctor to change her meds. I even had a night nurse when I went to get her because of a fall tell me I need to hire someone to stay with her. The last time see fell. The next morning they called and said that there was something wrong with her that they couldn't get her out of bed. When I left that night at 10:00 she was a sleep. She had broken her hip sometime during the night. No one knew when it happened or how she got back in bed. I stayed there most of the time because I saw that none of these patients were getting the help that they deserved. I would give anything if I could have moved her sooner. When she got out of the hospital I was in the process of getting her moved but had to let elmcroft place her in the Heritage because they couldn't give her the medical needs she needed. Frankly I wouldn't take my [DOG] there. Oh and when the ambulance brought her back when she was finally released from the hospital they wouldn't let her sleep in her bed she slept on the love seat in the foyer. There reason was they didn't have the staff to stay with her that night.

Awesome activities director

The activities director is awesome; they are very involved with the residents. There just seemed to be too many residents for the amount of care providers they have. The residents here seem to have a very wide variety of abilities and need different levels of care, so it seems like a distraction for those residents that do not need as much care. It was a pretty good community but just wasn't the right fit for our loved one.

They Know Memory Care

We chose this community because when my sister visited it, the staff really gave her the idea that they knew what they were doing. She had visited other communities and this one really showed that they knew more about how to deal with memorty care then the rest. We have had a couple of issues here and there but the staff does try and correct them as best as they can. One of the issues was when I went to visit my mom it was during a shift change and seemed to be a gap in coverage but since then have not had any problems with it. The other issue involved the care services, my mom had and issue and they could not tell me how or why it happened eventually the issue went away on its own but I did not feel confident in that they knew what happened. No one could tell me anything about it. The setting of this community is really beautiful and appearance wise I would give it a 5 out of 5.

Elmcroft of Florence is conveniently situated off Interstate 95 and 20. A small southern town known for blooming magnolias, palmetto trees and grits and shrimp, Florence is just ninety minutes from the shore and a welcoming destination for family and friends.

Elmcroft of Florence is an assisted living and Alzheimer’s Care community offering accommodations for those who may require assistance in their daily living activities. It is staffed 24 hours a day with trained healthcare personnel and offers as much or as little care as a resident may want or need. In addition, Elmcroft of Florence has a licensed Health Care Director on call 24 hours a day.

Elmcroft of Florence features a full sprinkler system and each apartment is equipped with an emergency call system that may be used whenever the need arises. In addition, all exterior doors may be locked so that a secure environment can be maintained.