Like Family

My mother has been in the care of Amelia Gardens as a hospice patient for nearly 2 years. Several years ago mother was diagnosed with Dementia, and Alzheimer's disease. It got much worse after she had to have two surgeries on her right elbow. My mom has not walked in two years, yet with the care that Amelia Gardens has given to mom her skin is in perfect condition. She has no bed sores.

Mother is on a feeding schedule, making sure that she is up and out of bed in a wheel chair to the kitchen to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Usually after eating mom wants to go lay down. To make sure that she does not aspirate, she is kept up for 30 extra minutes to an hour to make sure that her meal digests. Mom is a feisty woman, and voices her opinion in this matter, but the staff take it all in stride.

Mother has had an issue with her surgery site on her right elbow since the surgery 2 years ago. Mother is a picker. She likes to pick at things that irritate her, this site irritates her. The care giver, [name removed], came up with a way to keep her from picking at the site. Between [name removed], and her nurse [name removed] the site has been healing. Mom's disease keeps her from remembering not to touch it.

The care team makes sure that I know what is going on with my mother through text messages, and phone calls since I travel for work. The team is awesome, I could not ask for a better team for my mom.

I know that my mom will eventually pass. With my being on the road, the team has become my mom's family. Mom does not recognize many people any more, but she does know her care team. If I am not able to be there when the time comes, at least mom has people that she is familiar with.

Thank you Amelia Gardens for all that you do.

Amelia Gardens II Recommended

My mother was a resident here for a year until her death. She received awesome care. She needed assistance with all activities of daily living. She was treated with love and respect. She was not just a resident to them, but a member of the family. The owner and caregivers were super. I would recommend this small group home to anyone looking for small group care for their loved one.

As far as accessibility, my mom could walk a few steps with assistance. She had a wheelchair/walker, but preferred not to use it. There is a ramp into the home. and a wheelchair accessible bathroom, but we didn't need it. As far as activities, my mom didn't want scheduled activities. She just wanted family and friends to be able to visit her. We took her out on Sundays. She liked that the schedule was flexible and adaptable to her needs.

Did not care for outside surroundings.

Did not care for outside surroundings.

Bathrooms are not wheelchair accessib...

Bathrooms are not wheelchair accessible.