Riverwalk Meadows - Bay City, MI

Not what you think or advertised as barrier free.

I currently lease a two bedroom apartment for almost 2 years. I moved here because it was advertised as being barrier free. I am fully disabled and use an electric wheelchair and scooter. The following information is verifiable. The biggest problem for me is you cannot even get in the building because the only door to get in opens outward and is NOT handicapped accessible. There is no security for packages delivered by USPS. They sit in the common area on the floor next to the mailboxes. So if you're expecting a package you go through all of them and see everybody else's personal mail. [removed] They refused to make any changes According to local postmaster there's nothing they can do and this is unusual. There are no thermostats in the apartment. Just a dial that goes 1 through 5. Which in my case has never worked properly and has needed a lot of attention. The heat just stays on and you can't turn it off. As of today it's still not fixed. There is no overhead lighting in the bedrooms. I live on the third floor, both summer and winter you have no control over the heat. It is very hot always. I have to run an air conditioner nine months out of the year in my bedroom to keep the temperature below 80 degrees. Any repairs or problems need to be reported to management. There is very little communication between management and maintenance. Anything you want done you have to contact them at least 2 times. There is also no respect for your privacy. I also had to install a security system because people kept walking in my apartment. That problem seems to be remedied. By a change in tenants. Another big problem for me is the kitchen is very small and the smoke detector in the hall will go off if you try to broil in the oven or use the stove to fry anything. The Fire Department shows up here on a regular basis for that reason. Even when you dial 9-1-1 They still have to make contact with you and reset the system. I was told that mine was an older one and they would install a newer one which was just done. So when I tried to pan fry a steak the fire department showed up again. I was told there very sensitive because this is a senior facility. This discourages you from cooking and setting a fire I guess. It took 2 fire inspections and 7 months for me to get the new one installed. This could be a nice place to live for senior citizens. It is 90% women. Many who seem to spend a lot of time in the common area on the first floor by the entrance. Some of these people are always asking me and my guests what your doing and where you're going and ask uncomfortable questions. (very nosey). They are very helpful for letting me and my guests in the complex. These are my personal experiences. The other tenants that use scooters need help to get in and out of the building. For me if I want to get back in this building and I'm alone. I have to wait for someone to show up so that I can get in my own place. I believe that the doors in the entrance of this building are not up to code and violate the Fair Housing Act and the ADA. I complained for a year and management will do nothing about that. So I am looking for a new place to live and I'm currently checking on the legality of the entrance to this so called barrier-free apartment complex. This is an honest review based upon my experiences.

Fine the way it is

The staff and residents are friendly and the community is very clean. I wouldn't change anything because the community is fine the way it is. I am pleased with Riverwalk Meadows and I would recommend them.

Riverwalk Meadows is nestled along Bay City’s Veteran’s park offering spectacular views of both the park and river. Designed with seniors in mind we are conveniently located just 2 blocks from Riverside Senior Center and are also close to shopping and medical facilities.
Heat, water, sewer and rubbish removal are all included with your rent. Small dogs and cats are welcome. Riverwalk Meadows is a smoke free environment.
Enjoy Affordable maintenance free living at Bay City’s Premier Senior Housing Development.
RESERVE YOUR SPOT ON THE RIVERWALK TODAY!