Carmel 1 - Sherman Oaks, CA

The Best Decision

There are really no words to express our gratitude to :

A Place For Mom ...... with their help we decided to put my
mother-in-law in Carmel 1. She has been there for almost a year now and is doing 100% better than when she was in
her own home where she had around the clock caregivers.

We thank the entire staff and everyone associated Carmel.

A very special and sincere .... thank you ........ to the owner
[Name removed].

No No No

I would strongly NOT recommend this facility. The bathrooms have no access for wheel chairs or walkers. My perception of The 24 hour care is the cook spending the night, and maybe one more person, who I never saw. My mom is in a wheel chair, so there was no way for her to use the antiquated intercom system on the wall. Therefore, there was no way to contact anyone from a bedroom. The patient has to shout. They say it is a board and care for Alzheimer patients, yet they said my mother was too much work , because she slept during the day (this was one day after she left a very noisy rehabilitation center .), and wouldn’t take her pills. In my opinion, this is the last place you should put anybody with dementia if Altzheimer.

Carmel is a very nice board and care home. The staff have been awesome in their care of my mother. The home is very friendly and clean,my mother was very happy there. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a place for a loved one.

Great Place

It’s a great place. It’s a great facility. I’ve known about it for years – just driving by. Wednesday they are having a little in house barbeque. They have exercise. They go for walks, have a memory class. They have monthly classes. They had a memorial party. It’s very bright and filled with light. The interior and exteriors are very well maintained.

Very pleasant community

They've done a good job here, so far. Overall it's a very pleasant place, and its a relief knowing that our loved one is somewhere where she is safe and comfortable. The staff are all very friendly and professional, and the facility itself is always well kept and clean.
The only complaint I have is that their activities seem a bit lacking, I haven't seem them doing much when I visit.

Suspicion in care and intent

I had quite a few issues during my loved ones stay at this facility, and I would not recommend anyone place their loved one here. Right off of the bat I felt I was misled by the tour; they have a few houses in a row that they operate as board and care facilities, and the house that I was shown was much higher quality than the one she was placed in when we moved her. My loved one took a turn for the worse and passed, and when I spoke with the owner about settling up any final matters she was very cold. My loved one passed near the beginning of the month, and when I inquired if there was any way I could be refunded the remainder of the month that I had already paid for she grew openly hostile. I didn't feel like my loved one was getting the attention and empathy that she deserved at this facility.

CARMEL BOARD & CARE

Los Angeles

AGE WITH DIGNITY Is what we believe in all our Carmel Facilities where we provide services for men and women sixty years and older.

We are a team of caring people, dedicated to serving the needs of the elderly and their families.

We have been in business more than nineteen years, licensed by the State of California.

Each facility offers a home-like environment in quiet, residential neighborhoods with the option of luxury private or semi-private room accommodations.