Beechwood Assisted Living - Catonsville, MD

My mother is very happy here..

My mother has lived at Beechwood Assisted Living for the past 18 months and she really likes it there. Her room is nice and we decorated it with her furniture and accessories. My mother is fairly particular about food, but she seems to like what is on the rotating menu. They have various activities throughout the month, and she especially loves the lady that comes in to sing the old songs. Somehow she remembers all the words. The staff is always friendly and helpful, and the owner is very accessible. The neighborhood location is very nice and the grounds are nice to walk around when I visit. I would recommend Beechwood to anyone looking for a Catonsville assisted living facility.

Looks arent everything

From the outside Beechwood is one of the loveliest big old homes in Catonsville the grounds are well-kept as is the home itself
What for struck me when we walked in was there were residents on the couch and chair staring at the TV nodding off and sleeping I was there on different days of the week and different times today and that was the activity sleeping in front of the TV . We were told they were activities but they never did materialize .
If your love one has any serious health problem that needs to be monitored this is definitely not the place to go .
There are nursing assistance and medicine aides there's no nurse in the building to make any judgments or decisions so things get missed and that is dangerous .
Yes they cook the meals in the kitchen right there quite often it's a pan of frozen lasagna or the such And sometimes pizza .sometimes greasy hamburgers not healthy homemade choices .
The decision to say no was easy for me when I saw the residence faces heads down sleeping I.like Gods waiting room. very, very depressing, and in the next room staff talking laughing and texting not the kind of place I want my family member.

Beware

If 0 stars were a choice that is the rating I would give Beechwood. The manager tells you all the wonderful things you want to here and then you get there and there is nothing. no activities. i was there on different days and times to find the residents plopped in front of the tv asleep.
When we arrived for admission there was not even a lamp in my family members room. No nightlight either. No way to call for help! We were told a phone was "supposed to be on the bedside table. it never materialized. a phone in the dark for an elderly person to call a number is a poor excuse for an emergency call at best. ( the assistant manager did provide these things later)
The residents are treated like children, naughty children if their needs are more than the staff feels like dealing with. I must admit some of the staff are caring and hardworking. ([Removed])
The "home cooked meals" often consisted of family sized frozen dinners
Med management was bordering unsafe depending on the staff once again. My family member ran out of supplies! How does that happen and often i was asked to bring to the AL what was needed.
No medical support that I could find. When there was an issue I had to make the decisions because there was no NP or doc on call. At least that i was told about
So if your loved one needs nothing but to be sat in front of the tv all day with no interaction, if they have no needs other than the bare necessities then you may want to take a look for yourself.
tour with a checklist and don't take answers at face value.
In my opinion this was more than a poor fit for my family. It was out and out unsafe

We are very pleased with Beechwood!!

The owner of this home is very conscientious, communicative and treats the residents like family. They offer some activities however my Father in law does not yet participate in any. The food is healthy and tastes good. The home is clean and well maintained. The staff are very nice and helpful. I have recommended this home.

Loved the house, staff, own...

Loved the house, staff, owner. Wanted to put my mom on the list but he is no longer taking the medicad waiver. Beautiful

lovely old home with beautiful ground...

lovely old home with beautiful grounds.15 residents with only one caregiver on site today.