The Heathers Senior Care, Inc. - Costa Mesa, CA

Great place for mom

Beautiful home, very kind caregivers, very helpful!

Be advised

The owner of these facilities puts on a good show for the tour but you quickly find out she is money hungry and does not care about the well being of the patients. She sees the patients as money signs. The staff turn around is very high which is a huge indicator of a poorly run business. My father was at one of the homes for one month and during this time there were about 4 staff members that left his home. The owner claims home-made meals on her website and even in person but all I saw was salad and frozen food warmed up in the oven. We brought this up several times to the owner but she did nothing about it. The last straw was finding another patient's medications in my father's bin of medications. The price this home charges is ridiculous for the poor service they provide. Luckily we found a home with staff members that took the time to learn the patients names and truly cared about my dad. He had fresh made meals three times a day as promised and was cared for as if he were family for lower than what the heathers was charging. I would never recommend the heathers to anyone.

Not what they promise

My experience with this group home was abominable. Assuring us that they were experienced and capable of dealing with elders with progressing memory issues, we found the exact opposite to be true. The lack of care giving to my loved one was so appalling that I am considering legal action. There was a constant barrage of telephone calls blaming him for his memory issues. In three months, he had to be taken to the hospital twice because of so-called "falls". Also, they will tout many services when you tour with them, however, all of these are outside contractors with whom you must deal separately and pay for out of your own pocket. I was told that they could provide a Pet Therapist and after being billed $250 for 5 one hour visits, I found out the "therapist" was the owner's sister and her dog - not certified in any way! Additionally, they violate HIPPA rules in the most egregious ways. The homes are beautiful - with the exception of Wintergreen which is crowded, messy, and dirty - but don't try to get a burned out light bulb changed even in one of their "premiere" residences. After two weeks of asking, we just brought a new bulb ourselves. There are some very nice workers in the homes, however, the owner and her policies are unacceptable. Our monthly average expense was between $6,000 and $7,000. For that price, there is excellent care available out there. Seek it out and avoid these homes. We ended up using A Place For Mom to help us find a better facility. It is like night and day. There is a good reason The Heathers is not included on the list of recommended facilities.