What to Do on New Year’s Eve at Home
Five Outlandish Ways to Celebrate
There are fun ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve at home without jumping into all the noise and chaos of the outside world. You can either have a party at your home or a “quiet night at home with just the two of you” evening.
1. If you’re having a party at your home, why not a sleepover? Yes, a sleepover! Have your family and friends bring a sleeping bag or air mattress and move all your furniture in your living room to make space for the rows of sleeping bags. Make sure you include plenty to munch on, some fun board games like Monopoly, Taboo or Clue, and some “I can’t believe I’m watching this” horror movies. The great thing about this idea, if that if you’re serving alcohol you don’t have to worry about anyone driving home. At midnight, you can serve breakfast such as pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon and even a quiche. Everyone can fall asleep when they want and you can have juice, coffee and muffins for a light morning eye opener.
2. Here’s another fun idea for a party with friends. This tradition started in Columbia and spread. It could be the start of a tradition among you and your friends if you do it too. How it goes is when the year ends, many South Americans destroy all their bad luck, their faults and mistakes from the past year symbolically. Here’s how they do it: Make a small dummy from cardboard or wood for each of your guests that will represent the old year. Then have each one of your guests write down their mistakes, fears, regrets or just words like “bad luck” on the dummy. They can even add an item of clothing to represent an issue if they want to. At the stroke of midnight, everyone throws their dummies into the fireplace or a bonfire, and lets the regrets from the past burn away. Be aware of potential fire hazards while doing this.
3. If you are at home and it’s just you two, why not review the year through images? On New Year’s Eve, make some snacks or pop some popcorn and snuggle in together. You can make a slide show from your digital camera by hooking it up to your DVD player and watch a year’s worth of memories through pictures then. If you don’t have a DVD player, then you can watch it through your computer or digital camera. You can pause between pictures and talk about any memories which surface. Ok, so maybe this one ISN’T so outlandish – but when was the last time you took out your digital camera to view older pictures?
4. Another way to celebrate for just two of you is to take to the kitchen! You and your significant other can try a new recipe that you have never cooked before. You can make something that is a chore into a new adventure to both the taste buds and the culinary side in this. Or maybe some decadent dessert you have always wanted to make but never dared to could be had. When the meal or dessert is finished, you can top it off with some fine wine or champagne.
5. Celebrating with just the two of you can be a lovely way to spend New Year’s Eve. Put a log on the fire, put out some cheese and crackers and maybe shrimp on ice. Make your favorite alcohol or non-alcohol beverage and settle in and talk. Reminisce about the past year and what resolutions and expectations you have for the New Year. Rediscover the two of you as a couple and enjoy every moment you spend together.
Staying in with family and friends or just the two of you is a terrific option that’s perfectly festive and fun too! How do you plan to spend New Year’s Eve? Let us know in the comments!