Senior Discounts in Houston
There’s so much to see and do in Houston that it would cost a fortune to take it all in. Senior discounts make it easier to enjoy some “retail therapy” and visit some of the city’s top attractions without paying full price. These 10 top senior deals in Houston are just the tip of the discount iceberg.
- Get around town for less with a Metro Q discount fare card from the Houston transit authority. Seniors age 65-69 and all Medicare card holders get 50% off local bus fare, park-and-ride shuttles, and downtown light rail service. Seniors age 70 and up ride for free with their discount card.
- Tuesday is 50 Plus Shopper Perks day at Houston Premium Outlets in the suburb of Cypress. Seniors 50 and older get 10% off their purchases at participating stores, which include Vera Bradley, Calphalon Kitchen Outlet, Jones New York, and the Brooks Brothers Factory Store.
- Selected Thursday and Saturday shows at the Alley Theater have senior tickets available for 25% off the lowest regular price. To get the deal, theatergoers age 65 and up can buy by phone or at the box office on the day of the performance.
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science is one of the city’s most popular attractions. Seniors get 25% of admission, making this a great destination for a day with the grandkids. Ancient Egyptian archeology, modern chemistry, Texas wildlife — if it’s related to science, it’s here.
- The Menil Collection is a great love story on several levels: the marriage of John de Menil to petroleum exploration heiress Dominique Schlumberger, their lifelong love of art, and their decision to open their Philip Johnson-designed home, filled with great art collected over decades, to the public for free.
- The Houston Zoo gives one of the biggest senior discounts going: 43% off general admission. This small zoo in Hermann Park is a shady, easily walkable gem that features Komodo dragons, South American maned wolves, and the giant Pacific octopus.
- Remember the moon landings and see the state of modern space exploration at Space Center Houston. SCH offers a 5% senior discount on general admission, which includes a movie, museum access, and a tram tour of the Johnson Space Center that includes a stop at Rocket Park, home to a truly impressive Saturn V rocket.
- Military history buffs and patriots of all stripes will enjoy a trip to the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, which commemorates the achievements of African American military units, from 1866 onward. Seniors get 50% off admission every day; admission is free for everyone on Thursday afternoons.
- Seniors get a 10% general admission discount at Houston’s Downtown Aquarium, where habitats include a stingray reef, Louisiana swampland, rainforest rivers, and even a central Indian habitat for the aquarium’s unusual white tigers.
- The Cockrell Butterfly Center gives seniors 12% off admission to a beautiful 3-story rain forest terrarium filled with free ranging butterflies. Visitors can also learn about other insects from around the world, check out the 50-foot indoor waterfall, and get close (but not too close) to creatures like the vinegar-spraying whipscorpion from the desert Southwest.
Learn more about Financial Assistance for Houston Seniors here:
Read reviews and find assisted living in Houston on SeniorAdvisor.com.