Consultant Hours
  • Mon - Fri: 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM PT
  • Sat - Sun: 5:00 AM - 5:30 PM PT

Tampa Nursing Homes

Is it time for your senior loved one to receive care from a nursing home? Are you no longer to provide the quality of care they need? If the answer is yes, then it is essential to do some research to make sure you fully understand the type of care provided, the cost of this care, and other important information regarding nursing home care. Taking some time to get to know the facts will help you and your family make an educated decision regarding the nursing home that is ultimately chosen.

Tampa nursing home facts

There is a total of 683 licensed nursing homes in the state of Florida.

Almost 40% of all long-term care is paid for with private funds while the remaining 60% is covered by Medicaid.

By the time 2026 arrives, the population of Americans over the age of 65 will double to over 71.5 million.

Of the individuals turning 65 today, approximately 69 will require some type of long-term care in the future.

Compared to neighboring states, the cost of nursing home care, on average is higher than in Alabama, Georgia, and the national average.

Average length of time seniors spend in Tampa nursing homes

The amount of time seniors are spending in Tampa nursing homes varies based on their overall health. Medicare patients who enter into nursing homes for rehabilitative purposes typically stay, on average, 33 days. Those who have a more chronic condition, typically stay around 386 days.

The length of time a senior stays is largely dependent on why they entered the location in the first place. A large majority of residents enter into these facilities for a short period of time, usually less than three months. However, approximately 17 percent stay for more than a year and seven percent for more than three years.

Services to expect in a nursing home

All nursing homes provide skilled nursing services, as well as help with activities of daily living. Also, most facilities typically offer mental and dental care services, either on or off-site. Other services a nursing home may provide residents include palliative care, restorative care, pain management services and dementia care.

In addition to care, there are a number of other services that are offered at nursing homes. For example, most locations plan and provide activities and events for residents, as well as laundry service, housekeeping services, and transportation. If you are looking for a particular type of service, it is a good idea to ask about this prior to choosing a location.

Tampa cost of nursing home care

One of the biggest contributing factors to transitioning a loved one into a nursing home is the cost. Knowing what you can expect to pay for this skilled care is important. In Tampa, the average cost of care in a semi-private room in a nursing facility is $245 per day. Annually, this will cost $89,425 on average. If you prefer a private room, the cost will be $280 per day or $102,200 annually. These figures are higher than both the state and national average. This is something that needs to be remembered since many people find the cost of this care one of the most difficult aspects to cover.

How to find a quality Tampa nursing home

There are 122 nursing homes in the Tampa and St. Petersburg, Florida metropolitan area. This can make it quite difficult to know which one is right for your loved one’s needs. Taking some time to evaluate the options will help choose the right nursing home in Tampa.

One of the best ways to evaluate a nursing home is to actually visit it. While visiting, take note of a few different things such as:

The overall appearance of the facility – is it clean, how does it smell?

Attentiveness of the staff and staff to resident ratio.

Sample the food that is served if possible.

Participate in activities and events that go on during the day.

It is also a good idea to ask about the type of training and experience staff members need to work there. You want to ensure your senior loved one is getting care from quality staff who knows what they are doing.

Taking the time to evaluate a few different nursing homes in the Tampa area will help you make an educated decision about what nursing home should be selected. When it comes to the long-term care of your senior loved one, taking the time to find the right location is a must.

Learn more about Tampa Senior Living here:

Tampa Assisted Living

Tampa Alzheimer's Care

Tampa 55+ Communities

Tampa Low-Income Senior Housing

LGBT Senior Services in Tampa

Pet-Friendly Senior Living in Tampa

Catholic Health Care in Tampa

Baptist Health Care in Tampa

Best of Tampa Senior Living 2016

How Much Does Tampa Assisted Living Cost?

How Much Do Tampa Nursing Homes Cost?

Find assisted living in Tampa near you.