What services are provided by Senior Move Managers?
Senior Move Management is a rapidly growing niche in the moving industry. Due to the increasing numbers of Baby Boomers who are starting to retire and seek out alternative active adult living situations as well as the G.I. generation who are no longer able to keep up their homes, these services help fill a widening gap.
Who Uses Senior Moving and Downsizing Services?
According to the National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM), people aged 65 and up will account for 20% of the U.S. population by 2030. Due to an array of challenges rising from today’s modern world, families may no longer be the first line of contact in relocating a senior. In fact, NASMM reported that over 50% of clients who contacted the non-profit regarding moving were calling for themselves while only 30% were calling for their loved ones.
Families may live in other states and be too far to help. Some families may have career obligations and be unable to take the extra time off of work. Other seniors may not have any surviving children. In some cases, the move may come as a sudden result of an illness that cannot be treated at home or even death of a spouse.
According to NASMM, a staggering 51% of clients contact a senior mover only 2-4 weeks in advance of a move which indicates loved ones and their family members are grossly unprepared or underprepared to handle a drastic change in living accommodations. Only 34% of clients make contact 1-6 months before a move.
Senior Move Managers may offer a combination of the following services:
- Developing an overall move plan
- Organizing, sorting, and downsizing services
- Customized floor plans to fit the client's needs and wishes
- Move coordination/oversight - before, during, and after the move
- Interviewing, scheduling, and overseeing movers
- Local and long distance moving
- House de-cluttering services
- Professional packing
- Junk removal
- In-depth handling of the client’s estate sale and donations to charities
- Shipping heirlooms to family members
- Arranging for storage services
- Unpacking and setting up the new home
- Connecting the client with realtors who specialize in selling homes for seniors
- Cleaning and staging the property to be sold
Senior Move Managers ® can help with the above as well as creating an “aging in place” plan to help organize the current living space so that the loved one may stay in their home for as long as possible. These specialists provide assistance to the senior and involved family members in preparing the individual mentally and emotionally for the transition ahead.