Assisted living facilities provide care for residents that are able to live independently, but who may require a certain degree of support and supervision. In Texas, assisted living communities are divided into either Type A and Type B. Type A facilities are reserved for residents that don’t need supervision during nighttime hours and that are able to evacuate safely by themselves in the event of an emergency. Seniors that need assistance at night or help evacuating during an emergency must stay in Type B assisted living facilities. Texas residents can also receive help at home through homemaker or home health aide services.
Not all San Antonio seniors will have the same assisted living experience. In-home services and care facilities strive to allow seniors to live as independently as possible and provide a minimal level of intervention in daily activities. Depending on your needs, assisted living can help you with day-to-day tasks such as:
Cooking and cleaning Medication schedules Bathing, showering, dressing and grooming Transportation
In 2010, there were 1500 assisted living facilities in Texas with over 50,000 beds available.
Texas expects to see a boom in the senior population needing long-term care over the next several years, with the population of residents over 85 projected to double between 2007 and 2030.
Home and community based care costs significantly less than nursing care, and Texas Medicaid can cover the costs of about three assisted living patients for every one nursing home resident.
In 2009, Texas spent 40% of its Medicaid funding on in-home, community-based and assisted living care while the other 60% was spent on nursing home care.
San Antonio residents can easily find quality care at affordable rates. If you’re looking for help at home, homemaker or home health aide services in the area cost an annual median of $45,760 in 2015. This rate was similar to national median cost for in-home assistance. While national rates are not expected to rise much within the next five years, the prices of home health services in San Antonio are expected to increase by 4%.
Many San Antonio residents choose to move out of their home and into an assisted living facility in their later years. The median annual cost of a room in a San Antonio facility was $47,100 in 2015, which was just a little bit pricier than the national median cost of $43,200. City residents can expect to see assisted living prices rise by 3% in the next five years.
When considering care costs, you need to look at more than just an assisted living facility’s monthly fee. Sometimes, a community will charge extra for certain services and amenities. It can be helpful to create a list of questions to help you understand the cost breakdown of a facility’s fees, such as:
What forms of insurance do you accept? Does your facility accept Medicaid? What meals and housekeeping services are included in my fee? Does my bill include utilities? Are there additional charges for transportation services?
Receiving assistance at home is cheaper in San Antonio than moving into an assisted living facility. If your home is in good shape and doesn’t cost much to upkeep, you can save money by hiring homemaker services or a home health aide to provide the care that you need.
Sometimes San Antonio seniors are forced to move out of their homes for health and safety reasons, or occasionally for financial reasons. Luckily, many assisted living centers allow seniors to bunk with a roommate in order to save money on room and board. Some facilities also offer affordable housing with sliding-scale rates for those in need.
Paying for the care that you need may seem daunting at first, but there are plenty of ways that San Antonio seniors can cover the cost of assisted living. Texas Medicaid helps seniors that meet the program’s financial requirements to pay for long-term care, while the VA Aid & Attendance pension helps housebound veterans to cover their healthcare expenses. Seniors with long-term care insurance may also be able to pay for necessary services through policy payouts.
Homeowners that are having trouble paying monthly care fees may want to consider the option of selling their house. Especially in cases where a house is in a state of disrepair, in an area with high property taxes, or not fully paid off yet, it may be the most financially sound choice for a senior homeowner to sell their house and use the proceeds to move into an assisted living community. Those that wish to keep living at home may want to speak to their lawyer about taking out a reverse mortgage in order to cover care costs.
Find assisted living in San Antonio near you.