Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Review of The Westwood Ottawa, ON

Location: very good Cleanliness: very good
Laundry: timely and responsible Care: my mother in law was placed there for reasons of immediate need for care and a respite room was made available overnight. She was in a nursing section which was good as we were uncertain as to whether or not her needs required nursing or not. It was a great opportunity for the family to get feedback on her needs. Admin.: Excellent intake efficiency, feedback to family, flexibility to extending her stay in respite in order for us to make the right decisions for and with her. Room: very good (recently updated), linens/decor were fresh and current. Unfortunate choice of dark wood and wall colour of grey in a north facing room makes the light very sombre. Activity: [Removed] did not partake in many activities as they are all ( or most) in a sub ground level room (she did not like that there were no windows) Dining: She liked that the dining was similar to a restaurant style with table cloths (this seemed important). I never tasted the food, but she was not a fan (this is a problem in many of the facilities that we have seen). Staff: I did not feel a real connection with the floor staff (perhaps because [Removed] was there for respite only?). Mind you I was always taking her out of the building. They did not appear to know her well but said nice things. It was understandably a difficult time for [Removed] who would have stayed to herself during these months. Her needs were definitely taken care of. The reason we did not place [Removed] there permanently was that the rooms available for her needs were very outdated. Otherwise she would have stayed. The family did not feel that it was a very cheerful place (compared to others). Sometimes you walk into a place and you can feel that it is a place where people with care needs go to live and others feel like it is a place where people go to die. I am grateful to Westwood for the role that they fulfilled for us but for longterm intake they have areas of their service and atmosphere that need help.

Great

Moving in and getting settled was seamless. There has been a wait to get the telephone switched over.

A gentle transition

We've just been at Westwood for a short time but certainly feel like my mother is in good hands. She is fiercely independent and so being in care is hard for her but I feel very comfortable that the staff understand what she and the family are experiencing during this transition.

Happy my friend has found a home.

This is an older building, originally built as a seniors' residence and well maintained and refurbished. It has a lovely garden. It's only negative is that the activity rooms are in the basement which is not as bright as I would have liked but not all activities take place there. Parking can be a bit tight but I've always found a spot. The staff are friendly and watchful. Any questions have been answered promptly and completely. We also lucked into a signing bonus which made things more affordable. This place has been around for a long time and has lived up to its good reputation.

Overall things are working out well.

Overall things are working out well. She complains about the food from time, it seems like it's the quality, it's just bland. The staff is excellent, and friendly, it's very clean, and well kept. The bill was so complicated that the first bill had to be explained to us. They are so patient with my father and so sweet to my mother. We chose this because we liked the location, and we thought it was the nicest place.

Revera – The Westwood in Ottawa, Ontario is a modern updated retirement community with two elegant towers, combining an informal yet energetic atmosphere.

Over the course of more than 40 years, this retirement community has developed a reputation for supporting its residents in maintaining their independence and privacy, while enjoying a full social life.

In continuing to participate in the activities they love, residents can choose to take advantage of a full recreation calendar, the lights-camera-action of the movie theatre, organized outings, excursions and more.

With nursing care and staff on duty 24 hours, residents can also benefit from the support offered in this warm and friendly environment. The Westwood also features a special memory care unit that offers personalized programs and peace of mind to both residents and their families.

The Westwood retirement community is conveniently close to restaurants, medical services and great shopping at the Carlingwood Shopping Centre, one of the first major malls in the city. The onsite property pubic transit also offers residents easy access to the whole city.

The Westwood is part of the Revera family, one of North America’s leading and most trusted providers of seniors’ accommodation, care and services since 1961.