The Fountains at Millbrook is located on 200 stunning acres in Hudson Valley, an area of inspiration for artists and writers moved by the majestic scenery. Mom can choose from a variety of apartments or cottages to become her home. She can meet with her friends to dine in an elegant dining room served by our friendly wait staff. The Fountain's Community Life staff, coupled with resident's interests, plan daily activities such as trips, walks, concerts, dining out and almost anything else one can conceive. We have a myriad of exercise programs, social, educational, cultural, recreational and spiritual programs. Mom can participate in as much or as little as she wants.

If you feel mom needs assistance with life's daily chores, the Inn at The Fountains at Millbrook located on campus offers a home environment. Mom can choose a studio,one or two bedroom apartment. The Inn, a licensed adult care home, offers a full range of services, fitness programs, preventative health screenings and fitness lectures to name a few. Mom will meet with her friends in an elegant dining room overlooking a mountain range for breakfast, lunch and dinner served by caring staff. Our skilled housekeeping staff provides full weekly housekeeping services.

A bigger community for mom

I toured this community for my mom. This community seems to be smaller than what we were looking for. The staff seems to be very positive. They do offer a good variety on the menu of meals. I liked knowing that they do have activities. We would recommend families to tour this community

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for the high marks! I’m glad you had a positive experience when you visited and I hope we see you again soon. If you have questions along the way please feel free to give us a call. Sincerely, Deb Slocum, Executive Director

What I heard

This community is a little pricer than the community we chose and it is not as nice. The people are nice, however this community is more like a nursing home and we were looking for independent living.

Watermark Ambassador

I’m glad you had a positive experience meeting the Fountains family. We love what we do and I’m glad it shows. If you’d like to join us for a class, excursion, club meeting or special event we’ll show you a lively side of The Fountains. Thanks for visiting and all the best to you and your family, Deb Slocum, Executive Director

I liked Everything About this Community

I really enjoyed my tour of this community. I liked everything about it. The community looked great, everything was very well-kept. The staff was very kind and friendly. They have many resources available for the residents. It is truly a great community, but my family didn't think this was the best choice for me. Overall it was a very nice tour, and this is a good community.

Perfect Community For My Mother

It has been a great experience for us here. My mother is doing okay, but I know she is being cared for well. The community looks great, they do a very good job with the cleanliness. The staff is perfect, they have been wonderful to work with. She is safe and in good hands. They are providing her with great care. This is a community I would recommend, it has worked out very well for us here.

Awesome, staff extremely friendly, beautiful grounds, excellent food, very clean, great living conditions. I know where I'm going to be at age 62.

Cottages needs updating

Very nice people. The independent living apartment we saw was lovely. The grounds are very nice. The apartments are spacious. It's unfortunate the views from the apartments either face an old brick building that is located in the courtyard or a parking lot. The property is a bit run down. We noticed quite a bit of chipped paint, cracks, rust and a general need of maintenance, especially around the cottages. There were quite a bit of weeds and a lack of landscaping around the cottages as well. Except where the residents have made the effort. Most of the cottages look like they are empty so that may explain the need of landscaping and maintenance around them. The cottages have shared laundry room that are very old and outdated and in need of new appliances and a coat of paint. The two we looked at had cobwebs and dead flies in them. The machines were mismatched and there was no place to fold your clothes. I don't think the laundry rooms were heated either. That would be a concern. The food was excellent even if the photos of the dining room and cafe are misleading. The furniture is quite chipped in both of those areas. The property is large but there aren't any activities offered onsite to do outside which was surprising given all the space they have. There wasn't even a walking trail on their 200 acres. The biggest disappointment was they don't have a pool which is a shame since my mother likes to do water aerobics. We were told they had a greenhouse for gardening but that didn't turn out to be the case. It looks like they have turned what once was a greenhouse, if there ever was one, into a storage shed. That would have been a nice feature especially since this is located in farm country and most of the residents are from the area. The gym was small as well. I would recommend this if you wanted to be in the apartments and not the cottages and aren't active. The transportation options seemed adequate for going to the pharmacy, grocery store, shopping.

Would not feel safe here

I wasn't particularly impressed. It's an awfully old place. My impression is based strictly on the cottages because that's what we looked at. We visited the cottages and the first thing we noticed was the chipped paint, cracks, rust on the doors and bad landscaping behind them. Then we saw the shared washer and dryers that you have to go outside to get to were mismatched and very old. They were inside a very dirty room. Granted a laundry room doesn't have to be a decorators dream, but these were simply dreadful. The cottages weren't in much better shape. Chipped formica countertops, old appliances. Completely out of date. The outsides were in need of alot of maintenance and landscaping help. It's a small thing but if you are going to have garages in a retirement community, make them remote controlled. You really expect someone over 70 to get out of their car and manually pull up a garage door in the snow? The 24 hr. security we found out isn't exactly that. They staff someone until 11pm and then you have to ring the reception desk (that no one is sitting at) until it finally rings (10 rings until it even rolls over) and a security guard that we couldn't figure out where he was (onsite? offsite?) finally answers. I couldn't leave my mom someplace that wasn't staffed 24/7. If she calls, it's going to be an emergency and I want someone picking up right away! 10 rings is a full minute. Time a minute while you are lying in pain or having a heart attack and tell me you don't think that's unreasonable. It is. I think that claim is a bit of an overstatement about 24/7 help available. You'd be better off dialing 911 directly. If that's the case, what are you paying The Fountains for that safety feature? The furniture in the dining room and cafe were badly chipped. This place needs a good influx of money and someone who understands the needs of Seniors to make it nice.

Watermark Ambassador

I’m sorry to hear our community was not more appealing to you, and I thank you for noting our beautiful grounds and nice, friendly people. The numerous online reviews you are posting are quite lengthy, so I will not discuss point by point but rest assured we take all feedback seriously and are in a constant state of improvement. Some of your concerns would be best resolved with a phone call and you’re of course welcome to contact me any time at [removed] ext. 8020. We’re committed to satisfying our residents and guests. I wish you and your friends all the best and I hope their search leads them to the community that’s just right for them. Sincerely, Deb Slocum, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Deb Slocum.

I recently visited the fountains at Millbrook for my aging parents and we absolutely loved it . The staff couldn't have been more helpful, they made us feel at home, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience . Ruthie and Susie were absolutely amazing and welcomed us with open arms! Finding the right place for your parents is one of the biggest decisions you can make and and I couldn't be more happy with our experience. Thank you again and my parents look forward to enjoying everything the fountains has to offer.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for choosing The Fountains and for providing this online review. I’m so glad your parents and family feel right at home here and we look forward to watching them thrive. Sincerely, Deb Slocum, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Deb Slocum.

Cottages especially are in desperate need of renovations

The grounds are gorgeous. It's WAY out in the country so best for someone who likes living that lifestyle. If only the rest of the property was as nice as what mother nature provided. We did the complete tour of the facilities and one thing I will note is this place is very old and run down. The cottages they showed us had chipped and peeling paint on the outside brick. Not just a little bit, the entire sides of buildings were peeled off. Just pressure wash the brick and be done with it. Stop painting it. The interior layouts all differ but the kitchens are so outdated (like from the 1960s), have a salmon colored or odd mustard colored formica countertops, linoleum floors, outdated appliances. This could be a beautiful community if Watermark would invest in updating the places when they are no longer occupied. Instead they offer "specials" to try to fill the out of date places without having to renovate. Upgrade your kitchens with granite, put in engineered hardwood floors instead of pergo or linoleum. It is ridiculous to have carpeting in a retirement home where seniors are prone to using canes and walkers or have drink or food spills. Carpet is not maintenance free. Some of the cottages had an air conditioner in one room and no where else. The gym is more of a personal gym setup. Just one of each type of equipment. There is no sauna, pool or any type of water aerobics available. The photos on the website make the dining room and the cafe look a lot better than they do in real life. The dining room has zero ambiance, it truly looks like a nursing home dining room. The little cafe isn't the quaint little country market it appears in the photo, it looks more like a truck stop cafe/7-Eleven. It is also a good 20 miles to the nearest hospital in Poughkeepsie. The sales/marketing staff from what I could tell consists of one person - Ruthie. Once you do the initial visit, she is incredibly difficult to get in touch with by phone or email and even though she says, "send me any questions", she doesn't respond. She doesn't see the rundown places as an issue because, as she will proudly tell you, she lives in a large trailer with formica countertops and linoleum floors.

Watermark Ambassador

I’m sorry to hear our community doesn’t suit your taste and style. We typically receive feedback that The Fountains is warm and inviting not only for the surroundings and atmosphere, but for the people who make it so friendly and welcoming. I wish you and your mother all the very best in your search for the ideal community. Please pardon our identical reply to each of your similar reviews across the many different online review platforms. Sincerely, Deb Slocum, Executive Director

Good and bad

The Alzheimer's patients are in the same wing as the assisted living....makes for activities that are not stimulating enough for someone who still has her mind.

Even though I wrote extensive instructions on what was needed and what was not, I still had to run interference on several occasions.

Food is good, and after all the caregivers were finally on board with what was needed and what was not, she is doing pretty good there.

My 75-year-old Father enjoyed his visit here. His only concern was location. The Fountains is a HUGE, beautiful place; a little expensive, $4650.00 per month for a studio, but worth it for what they offer. The location was too much out of town for my Father's taste.

Enthusiastic

It was a very smooth transition for my mother, who is 89. Staff was very friendly and supportive. Facility is excellent.

Right from the start these folks showed extreme acre in delivering a quality experience. They may not be inexpensive BUT I have great peace of mind knowing my mom will be well taken care of, and that is priceless. Knowing the Fountains are on my team enhances my experience with my mom's waning years knowing there is no aggravation with my support team. And she loves it so far! That is also very important.

Looks great, need prices. A...

Looks great, need prices. Appx 3500 to 4000/mth One time 4000.00 fee for new carpet, paint, etc. Transportation, on site dr, sounds perfect.

Great option for seniors

Very impressed with The Fountains. This is the third place my mom has been and it is head and shoulders above the other two. It is nicely decorated, full of activities, food is served in a respectful way (no trays of mystery meat here!) but most importantly, everyone at The Fountains has been a pleasure to deal with. Patient, interested and kind would be the way I would describe the staff, from the marketing person to the aides. I am very impressed!

They have been absolutely wonderful!

They have been absolutely wonderful! They just really personalize the experience for them. From the maintenence guys, to the move in coordinator susie, who made sure she had all she needed, and the nursing staff is just super. The food is delicious, the salads are just incredible. I found them to be extremely competitive in value, and they have a non-cookie cutter approach. If I were to express anything to families it woud be, look at several, take the time to set up the appointment get a feel for the staff, try to be there around mealtime so you can get a sense of what the service is like and how they handle everything. It's hard to understand if a community is a good fit unless you really look at many.

Mom's happy there, it's good.

Mom's happy there, it's good. Very nice atmosphere. It's a smaller atmosphere, with less people than where she was before. It was similar to what she had before, we thought the change would be a little easier. She enjoys the food there. She likes the fact that on fridays she can bring a bottle of wine and share with her friends. She does wish they had a little more bridge, there aren't as many bridge clubs as she would like. They offer a lot of crafts but she doesn't do a lot of crafts. The fountains will bring your meal to your room if you don't feel well. It's quiet, but not that far from the village at millbrook. Everyone cares there it's like living in a small town. They will bring you into town if you need the pharmacy and grocery, or just want to go to the bookstore. .

Toured it today. Have sche...

Toured it today. Have scheduled a tour with Mom for Nov. Really liked the facility and it's the closest. About 100 independent living and 40 assisted living. Currently have one 1BR suite available and that's it, hence the interest in moving up the lunch. Have nursing/aide staff onsite during the day, security is EMT-trained. Saw lots of staff. Residents very sociable. Smaller rooms but still nice and the grounds are very nice.

Get less for your money

It's wayyy too remote. It's not close to anything and they didn't offer as many meals, I think they only offered 1 to 2 meals a day so they offered less services for the same prices as other places. They were clean, the problem was everything was in a seperate building so that was also a concern. They weren't guaranteed that they were going to get an apartment in the main building so we were worried that they would have a hard time getting around.

I visited in June. Cottage...

I visited in June. Cottage is excellent option but too far from current home at this time.

10 out of 5 for the Staff!

We chose The Fountains because it offers the best value for what you get. The community is beautiful it is surround by different types of farms which really adds to the country relaxing feel. The grounds are very well maintained. The staff is extremely friendly I would give them 10 out of 5, seems like they know what is about to happen before it does, they are just so efficient. Does not matter what the issue is as soon as you as for assistance someone is there. I think A Place for Mom really nailed it on the head when recommending The Fountains to us.

Least expensive, independen...

Least expensive, independent living, may be too far for family.

I took her on tour and lunch today. W...

I took her on tour and lunch today. What a great place. You check list was great and they passed.

We had lunch and a tour. Beautiful pl...

We had lunch and a tour. Beautiful place and grounds. Director is a delightful person