Solana at The Park  - Surprise, AZ

Park wood was a very nice community. The people and staff were very friendly. Everyone you passed said hello. It was very nice and clean. Unfortunately it's out of my mother's financial realm.

Gina Sheets

Thank you for the nice review. We appreciate your kinds words and hope you find the right fit for mom and your family.

Very large facility

When I first walked in I was amazed at how large the facility was. The lobby itself was about 3 stories tall. I ruled it out quickly because I just felt like it would be too large for my mom. She might have gotten lost there. The front desk personnel who gave me my tour was very nice. The facility looked very nice and clean. The dining hall was more of a restaurant with how big it is. The rooms were nice sized for a studio apartment. And for the activities they offer about the same as other places like having someone come in to play the piano or sing, arts and crafts, and entertainment that come in. Their activity calendar looked pretty full when I saw it. I would recommend this community.

Need to be more self sufficient

We had a nice tour of the Park Wood Retirement Community. It was a beautiful, clean and well-kept community. The staff was friendly and helpful providing information regarding their community. They fed us lunch and gave a nice presentation. The residents here need to be more self-sufficient and our loved one needed more care and assistance.

Helpful Staff!!

The staff where lovely to me when I had taken a tour of this place for possible future living arrangements. They did a great job with the presentation and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. The property was clean and had a lot of great amenities available to all of the residents. Overall it was a great experience it was just not the right fit for me in the end decision.

We Liked This Community

This community was nice we saw nothing wrong with it. I don't think it would have met our mothers care level needs. It appeared to trend more towards independent living than assisted living. The type of person my mom is she needs to have medication handed to her and to be told to go to the dining area more than just a reminder. The staff was helpful and seemed to be involved with the residents.

Gina Sheets

Thank you for the review "We Liked This Community" for the positive review. We actually take care of more Assisted Living residents here at Parkwood; only about 20% of our residents are totally independent. We offer med management at Parkwood and help to administer to those that need our assistance. Thank you for the review!

I Enjoy Living Here

I give Parkwood Assisted Living 5 stars. Parkwood Is a beautiful and spacious facility. The staff are friendly, helpful and caring. The food is good. The chef is very accommodating which I appreciate, since I am on a low sodium diet. I have no complaints. I am happy here and feel comfortable and safe.

Gina Sheets

Thank you "I enjoy living here" we are so happy you are a part of our Parkwood Family!

My home sweet home.

I like this community for myself. The community is clean and always maintained. I like the menu of the meals and they have been great with helping me with my special needs. They do offer activities for the residents to participated if they are willing to do so. I would highly the care and the value of this community for other families for nice care at a very nice environment.

Gina Sheets

Thank you My Home Sweet Home! We love having you as a part of our Parkwood Family!

Everything we found at Park Wood was perfect.
Starting with [Removed], very knowledgeable, she answered all of our questions with complete honesty and she made us feel totally comfortable. She always made herself available to us and really made us feel secure in our decision to bring our family member to Park Wood.
Thank you to [Removed] who helped make the move in easy.
The community is very clean, centrally located, lots of amenities and all of the staff are so friendly, helpful and caring.
We also wanted to thank[Removed], Senior Living Advisor at " a Place for Mom " for helping our family with this transition. Thank you all, [Removed]

Gina Sheets

Thank you for the great review and allowing us to take care of your family member!

So you want good care?

If waiting 30 minutes after a fall to get help or unattended front desk prevents 911 responders from entering locked doors in the evening indicates EXCELLENT CARE, check out Park Wood. Additionally, you'll enjoy bland, poorly prepared, repetitive meals. Staffing is a revolving door, so you'll meet new staff regularly. The place is beautiful and residents are great, though a lot have recently found new accommodations with better quality of care at more reasonable cost.

Mom's Happy Care

My mom is very happy with the care at this community. It is a like home family environment. She loves that chef and the good meals that are available. I like to know that my mom is happy here and getting involved with the nice activities that are good for her. We would recommend this community for the great care and value for a loved one.

Gina Sheets

Thank you Mom's Happy Care for the great review. We value our residents and treat them like family! Thank you for the great review!

So sad

Park Wood USED to be a great place with excellent care provided. However, they have reduced the standards for medical staffing. They DO NOT have medical staff on duty in the evenings. Additionally, very few employees are still on staff since a new director has cleaned house...and often reprimands staff AND residents publicly. Food has declined in quantity, variety and preparation. A very different place than it was when my relative moved in last year. Such a disappointment. Lots of people are leaving.

Gina Sheets

We are very sorry that you are disappointed and we take your comments very seriously. We appreciate your feedback and ask that you come speak with us personally so we can resolve any issues you may have.

Gina Sheets

Thank you for your feedback. We take each review very seriously and apologize for your disappointment. Please reach out to one of the Management Team members and let us help address your issues. Thank you for your feedback.

Care and comfort

This is a outstanding community for excellent care. The staff were fantastic and always keeping me informed on his progress. The menu was really good and he was pleased with the variety that was offered. They have nice activities that are offered. We highly recomment this community for the care and the good value for other families.

Gina Sheets

Thank you so much for the glowing review. We take great pride in our staff and the work they do here. It is not a job but a mission! Thank you for your kind words!

A tour for great care

We toured this community and we liked the care that would have been offered here. The community is bright and beautiful. They have a lot of windows that would not be good for her. The community was clean and they do not have any set meal times and she liked that idea of going when she wanted. The activities would have been nice for her to participate with the other residents. We would recommend this community for the good value and care for other families

Gina Sheets

Thank you for the great review, we love our open living spaces and the great light it bring in along with our large open ceilings but understand that for some who have glaucoma etc. it may be difficult to see in certain settings. Thanks for the great review!

New admission

Beautiful facility, great staff, very helpful in getting our mother settled in. Almost two weeks, and we are very pleased! And mom seems to be getting more used to the idea of being there, thanks to the great staff!

Gina Sheets

Thank you for the great review and kudos we are proud of our team!

Friendly Staff

This community had a very friendly staff. My tour went well, I got to talk to some of the residents. The things they inform us of that was going on in the community wasn't good. They did not recommend we move here. It is a good looking community. The outside of the community was very basic, it looked out on to a street. It is a nice community with a friendly staff.

I have no complaints

Moved Dad to park Wood and it's been a great experience. He's made lots of friends and enjoys doing the puzzles with them as well as playing pool. He really enjoys the food as well. As long as he's happy I'm happy.

Gina Sheets

Thank you for the great review!

Excellent facility and personal care

My aunt was a resident of Parkwood for 16 months before passing recently. She absolutely loved it at Parkwood. The caregivers, dining staff, social staff and business staff were excellent. The staff is engaging and caring. Because of my aunt's medical condition extra care was required, and they treated her as the lady she was, being attentive to her medical and personal needs. I would like to call out several exceptional staff people. Edwina Best is just a delight to work with (Business Office). Kayla is a fun and energetic Activities Director. Caregivers Monica, Stephanie, Jennifer, Dietra and Diane were my aunt's favorites. And, of course, Bill keeps the place hopping with his humor and maintenance skills. Also, the nurses and pharmacy techs were always keeping us abreast of my aunt's medical status. The open concept of this facility makes the it look spacious. The food is excellent with lots of variety. It is easy to find individual instances where things aren't perfect, but we were regular visitors to see my aunt so we saw the operations at least five times a week for the past 16 months and their overall performance is excellent.

Nice place

Our experience with Park Woo Assisted Living has been a good one, overall! The facility is clean and well kept, and the staff have all been very friendly and cooperative. I would give them top marks across the board!

Everyone is so good to mom

Park Wood Assisted Living mom has made friends at Park Wood Assisted Living. Everyone is so good to mom. She is well taken care of. The staff get her to her doctor appointments and other places she needs to go. The food is excellent. A lot of the activity outings are not handicap friendly. Mom will choose not to go because of this. So I would like to see that improved.

Gina Sheets

Thank you for the great review!

I would recommend them, and I would use them again.

We used Park Wood for a short respite stay. They seem to have taken good care of my loved one, I don't really have any complaints. The only issue that came up was that I had put some clothes away, and they hadn't checked in the drawers, and she was wearing different socks. They were friendly, and the other residents all seemed pretty happy. They were very accommodating. I would recommend them to other people, and I would use them again. When I asked her, she said that she would go back again as well.

My mom really likes Park Wood assiste...

My mom really likes Park Wood assisted living facility. The staff is nice to her and she enjoys the residents there. The food is also good. If there was ever an issue, they've taken care of it with no problems. The facility is pretty clean. I would recommend the facility to others.

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things have gone at Park Wood Assisted Living, I'd give them top marks across the board. It's a nice looking, clean facility, and the people here have been fantastic. We'd definitely recommend them to others looking into senior living in the area.

Kelly Bojorquez

Thank-you for sharing your feedback. We are always here with open ears and happy to hear your experience has been positive. It is an honor to serve our residents! Thank-you for choosing Park Wood.

Love this place!

My experience at Park Wood has been wonderful. The staff is experienced, kind and well trained. I love the all day dining and the food is exceptional. Lot's of things going on everyday with activities.

Kelly Bojorquez

I am glad to hear your experience has been good at Park Wood. Thank-you for sharing your feedback!

Haven't had a good experience here

They should never have opened the doors here, they weren't ready and didn't have properly trained employees or systems in place. Everything feels unorganized and sloppy.
80% of the activities indicated on the schedule never take place, and no notice is given if they are cancelled. The caregivers also serve as the waitstaff in the dining room, and even though it is restaurant style dining they'll bring everyone's food out separately instead of when it is all ready, as well as just having an individual bill for each family member.
The medicine distribution is done in the morning, not near a meal time, so that medicine is always taken on an empty stomach.
The sales staff say all sorts of things to get you in the door, and then are much less helpful once they've got your money.

Kelly Bojorquez

So sorry to hear that you were not happy with your experience at Park Wood. We take each person's experience very seriously, and we have addressed the concerns you have raised by doing the following:
we have an excellent Activities Director in place who is very conscientious about making sure the activities on the calendar take place. Not only does she ensure they take place, but she goes around with sign up sheets, on a daily basis, and talks to the residents about participating.
In regards to caregivers in the dining room, it is a state regulation that at least one certified caregiver is in the dining room at all times. This is to ensure that if a resident has a need, like with choking, a person certified to handle the emergency is readily available. In addition to at least one caregiver in the dining room, we also have servers in the dining room throughout the day.
We serve resident's their food in the order that their orders are taken. When a resident sits down and orders we put that order in right away so they do not have to wait. Many times, people sit down and order at different times. If several people sit down together, their orders will be taken together and we will serve them at the same time. The only exception would be if one person orders something that is going to take considerably longer to cook. In this case, we would communicate that it is taking longer and offer to bring them an appetizer, soup or salad while they wait for their main entrée.
Medications are passed at various times according to the Doctor's orders. We are more than happy to adjust the specific time that medication is given. This request, just needs to be communicated with us so we can make the adjustment.
Communication is key in any Assisted Living community. We take our residents and families requests very seriously. We have a great team in place at Park Wood. This team has a wealth of experience, is highly trained, dedicated and readily available to ensure that any issue is addressed with a satisfactory resolution. Our residents are our first priority and we care very much about their safety, happiness and overall well-being.

Solana at The Park

623-552-5089

* Required Field

How did you hear about us?*
Resident Friend/Family Drive By/Signage Newspaper Professional Cable Internet Search
Message (500 character limit)

Senior living in Surprise, AZ

Request Information

Contact Us

The Koelsch family legacy of care

Our Family Legacy of Care

The Koelsch Communities story began in 1958.

Learn More

A tradition of family ownership and care at Solana at The Park senior living communities

Welcome to Solana at The Park

Solana at The Park, part of the Koelsch Communities, is now home to the standards of excellence that the Koelsch family was founded on, and is known for throughout their communities. Koelsch Communities has been family owned and operated since 1958, and we are excited to offer the highest quality of care and service to Surprise, Arizona. Solana at The Park is situated in a peaceful neighborhood of Surprise, nestled between beautiful mountains, and the bustling city of Phoenix.

At Solana at The Park, you’ll find our staff members are highly trained and loving professionals that offer the utmost quality of health care, while promoting creative thinking and learning, all the while with patience, kindness, and above all, compassion. The later years of life can bring many joys and many challenges and we are committed to bringing the most enjoyment and fulfillment out of these precious years — a principle the Koelsch Communities was founded on.