Paloma Pointe on the Boulevard - Culver City, CA

There were a couple of things that contributed to our two star rating: First, their lack of parking (we had to park in front of the elementary school down the street-imagine that with an 87 yr. old who uses a walker!). Second, the receptionist was seemingly unaware of our appointment. He told us that [name removed] was already on a tour. As it turns out, the lady who was scheduled before us was extremely late. Instead of rescheduling her, [name removed] chose to bump us. We were told that we'd have to wait at least 30 minutes which was very off-putting and disrespectful since we were on time. The receptionist was astute enough to detect our displeasure and he gave us an impromptu tour. I applaud him for doing as well as he could seeing that he has just been on the job for 6 weeks. All of the rooms were the same but he chose to show us a room that had a defective refrigerator stored in the shower. When setting up the appointment, we were invited to stay for lunch but no one knew about that also. The appointment was somewhat rescued by another lady who apologized for the confusion… We were disappointed as it was apparent that the “right hand didn’t know what the left one was doing.” When they offered us lunch, we opted to leave. Thirdly, I was troubled that it only had one elevator. If it malfunctions, then what? As for the “small stuff” it could use a paint makeover using more vibrant colors especially in the bedrooms. Also, when we arrived, the coffee machine in the foyer had a sign on it saying “Out of Order.” This is not a "good look" when you're trying to earn the customer's business. Meridian is supposed to “sweat the small stuff.” Things should be fixed immediately especially before you invite guests to tour the facility. After having visited the Sunrise and Welbrook facilities, Meridian was just okay. Needless to say we will forego Meridian and continue our search...

THE MERIDIAN DIDN'T OFFER A FULL BEDROOM, ONLY A STUDIO. I WOULD NEED ALEAST A BEDROOM AND STTING AREA.

Nice, comfortable looking environment. Extremely high staff turnover and often an unreasonably long wait time for care. Understaffed and those who actually care are overworked.

Lively Community

My loved one is very happy at Meridian of Culver Village. It's a very lively community with friendly residents and helpful staff who are great at following up with things. The food is alright, but they have a good variety. They have a lot of activities including games, weekly outings, and live entertainment. They also just built a big deck so residents can go out, relax, and get some air. I will say that while the community is clean overall, and they do the laundry each week like clockwork, the light housekeeping in the residents' rooms can be forgotten if you don't keep on top of it. otherwise, the community is really a great place, and my loved one is quite pleased.

very high turnover

During my experience with this facility they had a problem with their cleanliness. It was like a hit and miss. They had issues keeping my love one groomed but that may be because that he wasn’t in the correct level of care. Initially he was a level one when we signed him up. However, during the year and ½ that he was there he was declining and faced challenges; the staff never did a reassessment. There was such a high turnover rate with their staff team. We have established a relationship with different people and then they would just leave. Management had trouble keeping their employees happy which obviously affected the residents there. Keeping my love one clean and keeping his room clean was challenging. He needed assistance being fed as well, but it was not being done. Many good associates had to quit because they were unhappy. They need to work on being more established and organized with their staff. The facility itself and everything that I had experienced was better from what I have seen but definitely not the best. It was a good effort on their part, but again they need to be more organized.

Needs lots of Improvements

First off the room wasn't ready when we arrived. The caregivers there are just not doing their job and lack professionalism. My mom doesn't trust that anybody will come help when she pulls the string. And several times they have just opened her door to come in and leave her door open and not come back for 30 minutes and that's scary to my mom. There were issues with the meds and they wouldn't give them to her at the correct time we had to get the doctor to write a note for it to happen at the right time. Now the look of the place is amazing she has her own little apartment with her stuff in it so it feel like home to her. She said the food and dining experience was the best part of the place. The staff in dining area are so nice and caring. They will fix what she likes. I'm hoping thing will improve in those other areas.

Needs Improving

We put our relative here and it has been a horrible experience so far. First off if something is asked to be fixed because it could be a [Removed], that needs priority! The maintenance have not fixed the 2 things that are a [Removed]. We have made lots of friends here the other residents are nice and ALL should be respected and given some dignity. Which is not happening for many people here. The care givers make them wait more than 30 min when a light is pulled what if its an emergency? They are just not trained well at all. The don't have any compassion behind them they are there to get a check and our families have to suffer behind that. They all take breaks at the same time and who's with the residents at that TIME? We pay a lot of money for total care which we aren't getting. They let my relative go a WEEK without a shower and that's unacceptable, we label clothes and still have the roommates clothes on. The food is good you can order off a separate menu to get other types of food. We go sit on the porch and I will water plants because no upkeep is done on the grounds. The director has [Removed] response times to anything. I would NOT recommend anyone come to this community.

Janet Davis

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Meridian of Culver Village. We are sorry to learn about your relative’s experience with our community. At Meridian of Culver Village we strive to offer a compassionate environment and have been working with our team in providing prompter response times for an improved experience for our residents. We are always seeking experienced, compassionate and skilled staff to join our community family. Should you have any questions, call us at [removed] and our Executive Director is happy to contact you directly.

Pleasant Experience!!

I have no complaints of how things had went during my tour of this community. The staff where on time to my appointment and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. I liked that the property was clean and well maintained for all of the residents. They had a spacious dinning room area that and some other great amenities. It was just not the right location for us in the end decision.

Everything is going fine!!

My father has recently made the move into this community and so far everything is going well far. The staff are very helpful and have been attentive to his needs to the best of there ability. He has adjusted well and I am pleased to see him comfortable in his new living environment. Right now we have no issues and would recommend it to anyone.

Understanding staff

My father lived here before he passed away. We loved the place and they were wonderful and very understanding. They brought in a hospice nurse so he was able to stay there and be comfortable. I would recommend them to anyone.

Professional and Honest

I toured with a friendly and honest staff. I was able to look at the community.

While I wouldn't expect any facility to be perfect,there have been significant issues at Meridian of Culver with respect to my dad's care. Despite my providing detailed information (including specific foods he cannot have) about my father's dietary needs (for a renal diet), many times my father has been given food he should not have. Even after he's reminded the kitchen staff repeatedly about his diet, he's still been given the wrong foods. I had to follow up with the Director of Nursing because it was brought to my attention that caregivers were merely covering my dad's bed sheets with bed pads instead of replacing the sheets when my dad had accidents. Most recently, Meridian increased my dad's rent by 7%. The rent excludes level of care expenses. Any increase would have to been managed, but 7% on a person with fixed income is unconscionable.

Hi Lisa,
I was able to visit Meridian and found it to be very clean. I did not meet [Removed] but did tour with a nice lady named [Removed]. Nice facility, adequate rooms, good location.

A Tour I Had

The room I was shown was on the third floor and very small. It was also a high priced community, it did not fit my budget. I did not like the way it was dark around the facility.

Very institutional and uninviting. Bathroom in the studio we saw was substandard at best. So tiny a walker could not be used.

Nice director, but depressing place with very unattractive rooms.

Great Assisted Living Facility

The Meridian was the nicest and cleanest of any of the assisted living facilities that my brother and I visited for our mother's change of circumstances. The staff were incredibly kind and sympathetic when her condition deteriorated and worked very hard for a resolution that was best for her and our family. I could not ask for better people. The facilities and food were also first rate. Very pleased.

An honest assessment.

I find this community to be nice, except for the following:
The care givers are very good, but the facility is understaffed. The menu is sometimes wrong . The food is average and too repetitive for my taste. The exercise class and some activities use residents instead of professionals.

Would Not Recommend At This Time

The community as a whole is a wonderful place even through i do have my concerns about certain things. The cleanliness of the community isn't the best I've told the staff about this and they said they will look it to it, but keeping in mind that they are remolding the place I'm willing to give it a chance to see if things improve afterwards. The place is has a caring staff and a wonderful mixed community with people from all types of backgrounds and of all ages, this was important for my grandmother. Overall it is a nice community but i wouldn't recommend it at this time.

We Like This Place for Dad.

My Dad lives here after we insisted he leave his home.
I think my sisters and I are glad we did. He was really mad and complained about everything.
We spent a lot of time there and have figured out he just wanted to stay home and said things to make us feel guilty. We do but, he is much safer now.
He is eating and doing things.
I think he even has a couple of folks I would call his friends.
The leadership there is committed to really helping all the folks there.
The staff is always helping people that I would guess are not easy to help. They are really just miracle workers.
Our family is pleased and can recommend this place.

worked out well for everybody

Meridian at Culver Village worked out well for everybody. They are currently remodeling it. He is quite happy there and this is a man that isn't happy anywhere but his own home. He likes the staff there very much. He feels the value is quite fair. Overall it has been a good experience for him.

I do not recommend it

I wouldn't recommend for memory care. We went on vacation. I gave them a number to teach us. My mom fell out of bed and no one called. She was not attended to quickly. They arranged for a meeting for us to discuss but they never made it happen. They do not have enough staff. Not a safe facility.

My Experience

My mother has been a resident of this facility for two months. She is now beginning to understand why she is there, but still talks about going home.

I love the atmosphere there and the staff that tend to her.

She is in a private room, which she prefers and is still somewhat of a loner preferring to have meals in her room, not joining in with group activities.

Our family visits her daily and this helps her ability to settle in. She was able to get her hair done which she truly enjoyed.

At the age of 95 I think she is the oldest one there and we will celebrate her 96th birthday on Saturday, October 10.

going good

Everything is going good at Meridian at Culver Village. I like the facility. Things are going well here. I have nothing to complain about.

More activities could be made available

My only concern is that not enough effort is made to engage people. That said, my mom can only participate in a limited fashion.

Horrible place

This organization is the worst! We placed my mother in their Meridan facility in Culver City California (for over [removed] per month) and the staff refuses to return telephone calls from family members, says my 90 year old mother has to get her toilet paper from the family as they don't supply it, they refuse to provide her a second towel per day when she requests it, they do NOT keep up with her medications even though we pay an additional $300.+ dollars per month for that.
The list goes on and on. If you have a loved one you want to place in a safe and caring environment, this organization does NOT provide one! This organization is also not a professional one as they take questions as personal insults and we are very sorry to have ever placed her there. We also called their headquarters to discuss the situation and they simply call the local guy (david cole) who is worse than a used car salesman who is rude and lies incessantly so that is a waste of your time as he has not done one thing he promised.

Good affordable memory care

The Executive Director at Meridian Culver City is a man of character and vision. Mom is in memory care and she can no longer take advantage of all the activities offered at the more expensive place she has been for 4 years. Meridian is more affordable and equally well-staffed. I do wish there could be more activities for the memory challenged.

Overall we are happy with them, and she seems to be happy there.

For the most part they have been pretty responsive. the only issue we had was that we had a shared room. The other person had sort of taken over the room, and it took about a month for them to get that handled. We didn't give them a lot of notice before moving in, and they were very accommodating, but that could have been handled better. I don't think there are many complaints. They get the same veggies all time. Overall we are happy with them, and she seems to be happy there. So far everyone has been pretty receptive to everything.

It is a nice environment and pretty good place. I think it could be a better place though. He said the food is good and plenty of it. The care services and some of them are nice and caring and some of them are just their to do there job.

A Good Choice for Mom

This facility is located in Culver City. It's neat and clean. The meals are wonderful and the dining room is very nice, Best of all is a thoughtful caring staff. Visitor parking is a bit limited though.

The staff is very nice and attentive and caring.

For the short time Mom has been there, the staff is very nice and attentive and caring. The community is clean and well maintained. They have activities to keep everyone busy. The food is very good and when I brought Mom back late from the doctors, the meal time was over. They were very good at making a special meal for her. The staff is making sure that Mom gets signed up for outings and shopping as it is sometimes difficult for her to get on the sign up sheet.

Meridian culver village recently hired a new supervisor in the kitchen.My mother is a resident therethe new supervisor is very disrespectful such as yelling at staff members, gossiping, and unfair treatment it's horrific. Just give a second thought about going there.

horrific experience!

There are some people at Meridian at Culver Village that are really working hard and trying their best, but then there are others that are terrible and should be fired.

Overall it was really just a horrific experience. My mother and her room smelt of urine and feces every time I visited. No one would visit her because it was so bad. And the food their is gross! There was stuff that I could not even identify.

I could literally go on and on for a long time about the horror stories of the time my mom was at this dump!

Needless to say I have gotten my mother out of there!

They are okay for the price.

They are okay, they are very inexpensive, if they were very expensive I would be a little underwhelmed. I think in my case they could have a little better communication. When I call to see how my mom is doing, they don't have a lot of information. However I don't have any concerns about cleanliness, or the staff being friendly, that stuff is fine.

the best community, clean, the staff is friendly and professional, great community relations director, she was so caring

Great improvements, the staff was friendly, the place was clean, their marketer was so professional and help my family through this process, the food is delicious, and their residents are happy. Great location, I could believe their prices were that great for all they do, I highly recommended.

I highly recommend this community, their community relations manager was so healthful and professional, made me feel comfortable. I found the place for my mother.

I went for a tour I have been searching for a long time, for the right place for my mother I was referred there about a year ago and they sure made so many improvements, first of as soon as I walked in the smell of fresh cookies capture my attention, the place was so clean the staff look so happy and was so friendly, I was greated by their marketer she was so healthful and seem to have a lot knowledge, explaining everything in detail, I was also able to talk to a few residents, and they all express how much they love being there, I will highly recommended, their new administrator has sure made some great improvements. The staff express how much they loved working there, I give meridian of culver village two thumbs up

Meridian Culver

I really thought meridian culver was a great enviorment home for my loved one. When we first arrived, the garden was messy and the front of the home floors were dirty. Although all the co-workers were nice and friendly but looked very unhappy. The cooking was very awful so I advise you not to send your loved ones there.

THE MERIDIAN STAFF WERE KIN...

THE MERIDIAN STAFF WERE KIND AND HELPFUL BUT THE ENVIRONMENT IS A LITTLE STERILE, WILL LEAVE OPEN AS A FALL BACK OPTION.

Update to my previous comments

Just wanted to say that the maintenance of the facility has improved in the past month, and they have made some some upgrades - more plants, pictures, etc., that do make for a nicer ambiance. I continue to be impressed with the caregiver and med-tech staff who go out of their way to help my mom in various ways and are very kind to her (even though she can be crabby!) Also, mom has had more positive things to say about the food recently, so I think they have made some improvements there, too.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that my mom was very nervous about letting someone new do her hair - she loved her previous hairdresser and was convinced on one else could do as good a job. But the lovely Gloria, who does hair there on Wed., has done a great job and my difficult-to-please mother is very happy with her.

We liked it. Liked that in...

We liked it. Liked that independent,assisted living and alzheimer units are in one facility. Staff was courteous and very pleasant.

The employees are friendly and very h...

The employees are friendly and very helpful. There have been times when my mother was not cleaned properly. I spoke to the administrator and this has improved.

They do work with you to provide care for your resident. My mother has dementia and was placed in Memory Care.
She was very resistant initially. After 5 months, she is more cooperative and seems to have settled in.

Pros and cons

My mother has lived here for several months in the assisted living section (not memory care.) The pros: 98% of staff is very friendly, helpful and genuinely caring; they try to offer a good variety of activities. The cons: physical upkeep of common areas, particularly hallway carpets, is lacking. When mom first moved in it was much nicer looking - everything must have just been cleaned. I understand it is not possible to keep things immaculate in these circumstances, but large stains on the carpets seem to not be removed for weeks and weeks. My mother finds it very depressing, feels like she's living in a third-rate hotel. Certain repairs (damaged molding in elevator) do not get taken care of quickly - don't think management realizes how demoralizing it is for residents. Also, the only outdoor space is a large patio which is not very attractive. Needs some professional landscaping - it could be nice. I suppose they would have to charge more to have better upkeep - prices are pretty reasonable. On the other hand, they have some empty units which would probably be filled if the place made a better first impression. NOTE - they advertise individual climate control in the rooms, but not the case.

Good Value

They are extremely friendly and attentive. It is a good value for a good great community. The food is good. It was the right place for my loved one because if it had been fancier or had more activities – it wouldn’t have been her. Parking is an issue – not very often – but there is street sweeping once a week, so you might have to park a block away.

Really great location. Like...

Really great location. Liked that the memory care area had an outdoor patio. I went in the evening and the two caregivers on staff were helpful. I am not sure my dad is at the point of needing what they [removed] there is only a common shower area. I was not able to see a menu or activities list, though I was stopping by at an odd hour. The place was clean, but very spare.

Pass - outdated and didnt f...

Pass - outdated and didnt fell good there - unkept gardens and outdated furniture -

Not Very Fancy

That seemed okay but I know my mom would want something nicer than that. They were really really nice and polite when I talked to them. They showed me around and I thought it was a nice place but my mom, being in the higher income bracket, I thought maybe it was not fancy enough for her.

You know, it's a little early; I like...

You know, it's a little early; I like the place, but I can't ascertain if the level of care that they've advertised is the level of care they're delivering. The executive director left a week after my mother moved in, and they haven't replaced her yet.

We've been paying an additional caregiver to go and check on my mother until the leadership issues are resolved. I was there 5 to 6 days in a row and I got to know everyone pretty well before we moved mom in, and they're pretty friendly.

The activity director was out on maternity leave so there weren't any activities going on at the time my mother moved in. I understand that things like that happen, though.

great place. maybe too complicated an...

great place. maybe too complicated and large for her.

One time fee $350.00 2 rooms Mont...

One time fee $350.00 2 rooms Monthly 3000.00

Talked with the director on 5/14 Div...

Talked with the director on 5/14 Diverse population in age, abilities, and ethnicity. Some people work too. Average age is 80. Only individually owned one around. "Tight" staff. Some people have been here many, many years. $2400 per month if no special help. Visited in May (?) Way too quiet, too elderly, no one around, really (residents).

Good location and good flexibility on...

Good location and good flexibility on price, but just a bit low on physical standards.