Harbor House - Oyster Bay, NY

Average facility good thing is 3 floors according to stages of dementia no outside grounds

My wife's care and comfort

I am very happy with the care that my wife is getting from this community. The community is clean and the staff is outstanding. She is happy with the variety of healthy meals that are offered. They do offer her a lot of activities for participation with the other residents.We would highly recommend this community to other families for the good care and value that is received here at this nice community

The Oyster Bay Manor was clean and cozy, and a little too cozy for mom's taste. She's claustrophobic, and the rooms here (and that's all they are, rooms, like college dorm rooms) are small and kind of dark. There is no kitchenette, you're restricted to counter top fridge if any, and no microwave. The common areas reminded me of a loved aunt who has since passed. Her house was cluttered with over-stuffed furniture. It was well-loved, but too much in a small space.

I was told there are only about 36 residents at the moment, and we are looking for a larger population for Mom to mingle with. Also, I found the medication management fee to be ridiculously high - twice what it is everywhere else.

The bathrooms in the shared areas are locked and you need to get a key from the front desk to use them. Not ideal for seniors who sometimes have to go, and immediately. I also found it upsetting to see signs posted in the common areas that read "Do not discard diapers in the garbage pail."

One Other Place We Looked At

I had no problem with the tour that I got. During the tour I was offered a meal or snack but I turned it down because it was not necessary. Nothing was wrong with the community, it just wasn't for us.

My father is in great spirits!!

My father is in great spirits since he made the move into this community. He has has had no complaints about the food and seems to make it down to all of his meal times as well as participates in many of the activities that they have going on through the week. All of the nurses are very caring and helpful when it comes to his care and making sure he is comfortable and happy in his living environment.

great help

Very good job. I would not have done it with your help
thanks very much.

My mom has been at the Harbor house now for about 2 months. So far everything seems to be going well. Whenever I go to see her she is clean and dressed. The staff seems friendly and helpful. The recreation staff tries to get everyone participating in the days activities. They also do their best to try to keep the place as clean as possible. Keep in mind that this facility is for folks with dementia and Alzheimer which is sometimes not easy to be around. I thinks the staff does what it can so everyone is comfortable.

The people at Harbor House were very caring and patient with my mom. They looked for ways to involve her in activities which is very hard to do.

They were very thorough with making sure everything was in order with her medications, etc.

They were also very good about filling out all the paperwork needed for her long term care policy.

Would highly recommend them.

Praise and Thankfulness for Harbor House

much research went into choosing a memory facility for my husband and I know Harbor House was the right choice. The owner, directors and staff are professional, caring and always available to answer questions. I was kept aware of medical events as well as social happenings. The levels of care are constantly monitored with an adequate cheery staff. I only have praise and thankfulness for Harbor House.

Review of Harbor House - Oyster Bay, NY

Great medical coverage 24-7. Semi-private rooms are very very small. Cost includes everything. Modern and clean. Residents all seemed to be engaged in activities. Downside is that there are so few available rooms that residents have to be housed on a floor other than the category that they fit into. They are then transported to the appropriate floor for activities.

Great care

The thing they do well here is provide great care. The staff is nice and they really love the patients. The facility is nice, cleaned and well maintained. Everyone is so happy here. This is a great facility for your loved ones.

So far a pretty good experience

So far it has been pretty good. My mother turned 80 the other day and they fixed her room up and gave her a party. She really enjoyed herself. The only complaint that we have are some things being lost, but they found most of them and the issue seems to be resolved.

good overall

I like the fact that they have a lot of events at Harbor House. I do think that the activities could be a little more physical to get them moving and get some exercise. Overall for the most part it has been a very good experience.

Went to see a lot of facilities and we were most comfortable with harbor house the staff are professional and very caring we felt like we were putting my father in good hands

Excellent memory care

They've done a fantastic job so far at Harbor House. This place is totally a class act! Everything they say that they will do they do, and then some! The facility itself is very nice looking, and they are extremely well staffed. I like that they have multiple levels of memory care, so that those of similar cognitive levels are placed together. The one downside is that Harbor House is a bit on the pricey side, but they absolutely provide great care for the cost.

the people there were great

Harbor House is a very nice place with very kind and caring people. My general overall feeling was very positive. Unfortunately it turned out that my father in law needed a little more care than what they could offer. He ended up passing away shortly thereafter. The people there though were really great.

Nice place, overall!

Things have gone great with Oyster Bay Manor overall, my loved one seems very happy here! The staff have been very friendly, professional, and accommodating. It's a nice looking place, and they even do a great job with the food, all of my relatives who have tried it says it has been good!

Does not have ALP program a...

Does not have ALP program as originally were told. Private pay is no less expensive than Bristal so would not move them here.

Friendly, confident staff

They've done a great job here, we're very pleased with them! The staff are all very nice, they're very attentive to Mom's needs for the most part. They're very confident in the care that they provide, and they have no problems suggesting changes that they think will be for the better.

They needed more supervision. Very di...

They needed more supervision. Very disappointing, not much going on, not geared toward dementia. They didn't do much with the residents. There was no where for the residents to really sit and talk and it leaves a lot to be desired. They cared for the residents but as far as the actual activities there's no where to walk and no where to go. There's only one little area to watch T.V. or play games. The activities were on a very low level and they do the same thing over and over with no variety. There were patients there who needed a lot more and they did nothing for them. They were put on the wayside. They just don't know how to deal with the dementia residents. I guess it's good for people who are all together and are out and about and are more independent. They were nickle and diming us to death had to pay extra 30$ a day for a shower. no matter how many showers you took. 20$ extra for meds. This ended up being more expensive than a much nicer community we moved to.

They were more expensive than the one we chose but was my first choice.

They were more expensive than the one we chose but this was my first choice. I really liked they were nicer and a little more spread out than where he is now.

seems nice and well organiz...

seems nice and well organized & caring waiting on ALP bed

Liked this place.

Liked this place.

looks great

looks great

Harbor House Assisted Living is the only facility on Long Island dedicated to memory care, Alzheimer’s care and Dementia care. At Harbor House we have the unique privilege to care for people who suffer from memory loss or impairment.

Our spacious and beautifully designed building has made it possible to accomplish our lofty goals. With resident’s rooms opening up straight into the common areas, our residents can participate in socializing in Therapeutic Recreation and meals without walking down long corridors or taking the elevators. This provides a safe and secure environment.

The adaptation of our programs philosophy is to separate our residents according to their cognition or stage of the illness. This approach contributes to a calm and soothing atmosphere because each resident can succeed in their own environment. Each of our three floors is self-contained “neighborhood” with various well-appointed public common areas, including living rooms, sun rooms, dining and programming areas Our dedicated and specifically trained nursing care staff has the advantage of being on an assigned floor. This permits our professional to evaluate our residents on a daily basis. Both medical and psychosocial assessments take place in our care center.

Our integrated professional nursing care team in conjunction with direct care providers advocate for our residents daily. We get to know our residents so well that it is not difficult to anticipate their likes and dislikes and most importantly their needs.

We encourage input from our support staff, recreation therapists, and housekeepers. In turn, every nursing care staff member makes a difference in the care of the residents and the up keep of their environment.

The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. Families and guests are welcome any time of day. Our families can find comfort in the security that our staff will work closely with them and provide support and guidance whenever needed.