Brookdale Overland Park Glenwood - Overland Park, KS

Too Expensive, but Tour Went Well

This is a nice community, and my tour of it went well. The staff I met was kind, and helpful. My tour guide was informative, and answered my questions. From what I was shown the community looked nice. Everything went well, but unfortunately this community was out of our budget.

Good Tour

We toured this community for my mother in law, and her needs. Our tour went well, and the community looked great, The staff we met was kind, and our questions were answered. It was a nice experience, but we did find another community that suited our needs better.

Comfort for mom!

So far, my mother seems to be doing very well since her move to Brookdale Overland Park. The staff there are very nice and they are taking good care of her. I think we would recommend this community because we have had a good experience so far.

Confusing layout!

This Brookdale was actually my second choice. It was clean and everyone was friendly. The reason we did not choose it was because of the layout of the facility. It was not the traditional L-shape or multiple stories. I feel that my mother would have gotten lost.

[Removed] was very gracious and spent a lot of time talking with me about my needs for my parents. The room was not a two bedroom two bath. It did have very nice 2 bathrooms but it was a two bath one bedroom set up. I thought that I had asked for two bedrooms and two bathrooms. I feel like I half wasted my time. I thought that the place seemed a little bit worn but it did not smell badly. There was not really a work out room which I has asked for, there was a cycle in a TV room that could be used. The library was very short on books...
I think that there was a positive attitude and a nice feeling of caring from the Executive Director and Marketing Director. My guess is that it would be a caring place for loved ones. Right now I am hoping to find a place that more closely meets my parents needs with two bedrooms.

Outstanding Care

I like the care that my mother is getting here. This community has a good home feeling when you walk in the door. the commnity is very clean She is very happy with the meals that are served. They go out of there way to make sure they you get what your asking for at meal times. They do offer her activites for the residents to participate. We would higly recommend this community for good care and value for a loved one.

Not what we needed!

The people here are awesome. There were residents out and I got to talk to a gentlemen that lived there and he said that he was happy. I just don't think that they provided the type of care that my uncle needed.

A Stop For A Visit

I think the tour I was given was a nice job. I got to see a very nice community and did not have a bad experience. The director was knowledgeable during the tour. After seeing the place, it was not a fit for our family.

Pretty Good Community, My Mom is Well Here

My mother is in good hands here at this community. So far everything is working out pretty well. They have a good staff for the most part, but I did have a problem with them not listening to me. They were picking up her medication for us, and I didn't want them to do that because it was more expensive. There are activities offered for the residents. They do serve well balanced meals. I know she is being cared for well here. I would recommend this community.

They Were A Good Place

I was happy with the care that was provided at this community for our loved one. The facility was clean and the staff were helpful at all times. I would recommend their services to family and friends.

Everything is fine

We are just having a little trouble getting our bill straightened out. Other than that, everything is fine and we are getting things worked out. So far, we do not have any major complaints about Brookdale.

Great Facility

The woman that I contacted was just a blessing to our family. Within two hours Brookdale Overland Park Glenwood had accepted my loved one into the facility and I feel like they really saved my loved one's life.

We liked it, but I picked a place that was closer.

We toured here when we were looking at options. We liked it, but I picked a place that was closer. I don't think they would have been able to handle the level of care that we needed, even though they said they could. There is only one place in the area that would have been able to provide the care we needed but I only found that out later.

When I went to visit there was no security and no on in the lobby to talk to or take me on a tour. I stayed around while & no one ever showed up so I left. No interest to look further in this situation where there is no security. Also it didn't have much of outdoor area for residents to sit outside

Brookdale Senior Living

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your feedback. We will share your feedback with our management team.

so efficient

I am so pleased with Brookdale Overland. Mom recently had pneumonia and the staff was able to treat it immediately without her having to go to the hospital. I really appreciate that kind of care. They were so efficient. I am very happy with this facility.

Intuitive and Helpful Staff

They have done a pretty good job on figuring out what my mother needs. We just had her one month review to see how things are going and talking about what they have noticed and what we have noticed. They have done a good job on always having someone around if we have any issues or concerns. They have been quite helpful.

A transition from independant to assisted living

My Mom moved from an independant living community to an assisted living community when her dementia progressed. Nothing serious just intermittent episodes of wandering and not quite being herself...especially from late afternoon or early evening and into the night. She can care for herself but I was concerned about her safety during her forgetful moments. This particular community has fulfilled all of my Mother's needs. She is under the watchful eye of certified nursing assistants and has settled in quite well. I knew she had accepted her new residence when she finally asked me to hang her wall pictures. She is an active person and spends minimal time in her apartment. The activities are ongoing through the week and she attends them all. The building itself is very homey, pleasantly decorated, and no odors. The staff are friendly and supportive of Mom and the other residents. Mom is currently undergoing Physical Therapy there and can't say enough good things about the Therapists. The food is very good and the dining room staff make dining a positive experience by remembering the residents' likes and dislikes, and ordering green tea especially for Mom. Medical professionals visit almost daily if a resident has a particular need to be seen. A Podiatrist visits monthly and can bill foot/nail care to Medicare for the residents using his service. Overall Mom and I are well pleased with her move and we look forward to bring there a long time.

very good

My father in law was not there but for about a week before he passed away so our experience was somewhat limited, but it was a very good experience. They were very helpful in helping me assess where he was health-wise as I was in another town. Their hospice care is really very good. They called me all the time, gave me constant feedback, and kept me constantly updated, which was really very helpful.

There was definitely room for improvement

This was a short respite stay. Looking back I wasn't exactly happy about how things have been done. It's taken over a month to get a refund. They didn't exactly do any housekeeping in the room while we were there. There was definitely room for improvement in certain areas, it's nice when you walk in. The people were friendly. The portions of the food are small. The response time was little slow when there was a need. The type of things they did, were not ideal for my loved one. They had an activities lady there and met her, they would gather people and try to engage them.

Very patient focused, caring staff. Location is great!

great place!

very accommodating staff, really try to do everything they can to make you feel at home. lots and lots and lots of activities, very nice facility that is kept very clean and up to date.

Quality of Care - very good
Atmosphere - friendly
Cleanliness - good
Pricing - fixed
Community fee - yes

Nice Place for Dad

Overall, a great place for Dad to live. There are not as many CNA's on duty as we were led to believe by the sales person. However, Dad is not in jeopardy because of this. The food is not the best tasting and I have concerns about the nutritional aspects, as well. Everyone working here is very friendly and tries to be helpful. They go out of their way to try to include the residents in as many activities as possible.

We are very happy with them.

She happy, and she is doing something every time I come to see her, and she has made friends, but she's not feeling quite at home yet. It's the only place that had no dirt, and no smells, it's very clean. We love the staff, we are constantly getting updates and how she is doing. It's affordable for people that have to pay out of pocket, and it's one of the best places in the area. We looked at one place that was more expensive, and people think it's better because it's more, but this was a better fit. She actually loves the food, everything, it's never come cold. We are very happy with them.

We have friends that are here and they love it.

We used them for respite. We really only know about the memory care section. There were certain staff who irritated him. There were a couple of days a week that I knew he wasn't going to be happy. The memory care was adapted. It wasn't designed specifically for memory care, and there is a difference when you look at one that is designed that way. We have friends that are here and they love it. This just wasn't the best fit for us.

Freedom pointe

The only negative was actually with the marketing and sales force. We received poor information and had much miscommunication before moving in. Then move -in day was awful because that department TOTALLY dropped the ball. Once we let the facility director know what has happened things were fixed quickly.

Most of the people are friendly

The people are friendly that are on the sales staff, the billing staff, the caregivers, they are great. The nursing supervisors however are not exceptional, they don't communicate with me very well. Response time can be a little slow, I think they just have too many people. The food isn't wonderful, the meat is often tough, and could use better quality of food. I would like to see people come and check in on my loved one a little more often.

Memory Care staff helps a new patient adjust.

The Clare Bridge memory unit is small and the care is personal and specific. Staff is warm, caring and effective. The unit is clean and orderly, peaceful but never boring.

My mom has been clean and dressed every day since she's been there. With her window shades open, the stage is set for her to greet the day and be active. She rests in bed a lot and they respect that but do not allow her to simply be forgotten in a darkened, closed down, room. Daytime welcomes her to engage if she can respond.

My mom, being a memory patient, has had a lot of trouble adjusting to the change (less than one month) and the staff has been looking at her medications and interactions as a way to get her comfortable in the new environment. They always have time to hear my concerns and ideas. They have been encouraging to my father, who lives in the adjacent Assisted Living, to emotionally support Mom, as much as he would like, by visiting her often.

The Staff always has a lot of energy and are authentically pleasant in our interactions. Most of all, they value my mother as a person by the way they physically and verbally interact with her and attend to her.

The food seems rather average and could be more appealing.

They did a fabulous job...

They did a fabulous job, very good to work with. They have very caring people who wanted the best for my mom. She chose not to participate in the activities but from what I saw on the buletin boards, they had many, many things to do. I tried the food and it was hot, and they had many choices, it was not as spicy as I would eat but it was good, and healthy. I met many of the staff and it was convenient for us, and for family and friends to visit. It was reasonable in price. They have a dining facility for family members to come which is nice.

Nice looking, but not a good fit for Dad

We looked at this community while looking into memory care options for my Dad. The facility itself looked very nice, but I don't think it would have been right for Dad. It was a larger community than what we were looking for, and I feel like with his memory issues it would have been very easy for Dad to get lost. The price ceiling was also very high. It started with an amount we could afford but could almost double based on increasing care needs.

Too Much Time Alone

It is always tricky because they have room rate, medication rate, care rate, etc. Every time I turned around the rate was higher and the care was less. She spent too much time alone. She never smiled. She was always watching TV. She was crafty and she kept getting out. My sister didn't want my cousin in a nursing home, but they were giving me a warning that they would have to put her on 24 hour guard, and I thought that was a threat. We really weren't happy there. When my cousin said that she didn't want to eat, they would let her not eat at meal time, then charge me $6 for her to get her food in her room later. It just made it easy for them. She was just getting weaker and sleeping more. Just vegetating.

My mother stayed at Freedom...

My mother stayed at Freedom Pointe for 30 days. She is now back in her home and is very happy to be there. The environment was bright and clean. The staff was friendly and made every effort to meet her needs. I have and will continue to recommend this facility in the future.

Good Activities - We're Happy

Whenever I visit my dad his apartment is clean and the dining room seems clean whe I eat with him. They're very friendly. I like the value for what I'm getting but I don't have much to compare it to. This is the only assisted living he's been in. It gives us peace of mind.

He doesn't smell like he used to and he's gaining weight. When I visit on the weekends they try to get him engaged in the activites which he wasn't doing before. The activities are varied. There is exercise everyday and wii stuff to get them involved in movement. We've been very happy with it.

Great Discount

Our loved one really liked the community. So far they are happy at Freedom. Our loved one is adjusting very well; they are eating good and getting along with the staff and residents. The offered a discount for a limited time. Studio with several extra care services we are paying around $2,500 a month with the discount. After the discount expires the price will go up monthly.

Very good expereince here

Our experience with Freedom Pointe Overland Park has been very good. The main reason we chose Freedom Pointe is the location. I have been several times and eaten several meals here on a scale of one to five I'd rate the meals a four. I would recommend Freedom Pointe to other who are looking for their loved ones.

I liked this one best, near the Thea...

I liked this one best, near the Theater, residence seemed bright and active.

Is a very nice facility. Appeared cle...

Is a very nice facility. Appeared clean and staff was very friendly. Not as nice as Sunrise but is a bit cheaper in cost. Location is OK but not as good as Sunrise. The big question is the feeding. They have a separate dining area for patients that need to have help in eating. It is only made for 4 and they would have to squeeze Mom in to this area unless we think she can feed herself. All of us kids are not fond of this idea. They are attached to Sweet Life Nursing home if Mom got to a point that they could not care of her anymore.

Nice place!

Nice place!

Brookdale provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.