Brookdale Woodward Estates - Bowie, MD

Do not recommend at all

Brookdale living assistance in Bowie Maryland is awful. If you love your loved one please send them to another place. My grandfather went there and it would be 5 to 6 hours before he receive help after pushing the help button even after falling. His toilet remain backed up for almost a week and was about to fill up with urine and feces because they were not come unplug it. I had to personally go over and fix the toilet. After falling my grandparents personally called me and I got there and help them up before any of the nurses came to help him. Please if you want your loved one truly cared for and to have any help if they fall or need assistance do not send them here.

We had a great tour!!

I toured Brookdale Woodward Estates before choosing a place for my mother. The facility was nice, the tour guide was very friendly and helpful. It was a good experience to tour.

We really liked Brookdale but [Removed] wants to see more to have something to compare it with

should not have visited this community second, not fair to compare. We toured with the dining service director since the marketing director was not avaiable not did she follow up. He was pleasant and interacted with the residences . Observed some activities. The building and rooms were adequate, clean but overall needs repair. Saw overflowing trash containers outside. Did not observe food service. Table cloths on table, no assigned seating the residents formed their own groups. Pull cord in bathroom, alarm on body,fees charged for personal care, did not ask and was not told about fees for special services, ie. medication monitoring, personal personal help and diet, menu generic, no imagination, gets feedback from residences for meal planning. Plans to start a garden with residences so they can eat what they grow. But since a lot of what I learned as plans for the future was from someone involved with food service. The location of the facility was good. It was in Bowie which is where her home was as well as neighbors and friends. I hope I am not leaving any important info out. Security is not being able to exit unless the receptionist buzzes the door open.

Visited this facility previously. it was good but not sure its what my parent needs at this point.

The Dementia/ALZ section of this facility was under construction at the time I went for a visit. However, I was not impressed with the overall facility.

Good Follow Up

My tour of this community was a nice one. Everyone was very kind and helpful. The community looked great. I was very pleased with their follow up. The experience was a pleasant one.

Needs improvement!

There have been some issues here that I am just not happy with. When mom calls for assistance it takes the staff 30 to 45 minutes to respond. This has happened several times that I have been present and she has informed me it happens frequently. Some of the staff have been very rude to the residents when asked to bring them something in the dining room while I was present. The rest of the staff (office, receptionists, activities, nursing and rehab) are wonderful.

It is basically going well for my dad, he has been here for about 6 weeks. The meals are okay when he does eat his meals. His apartment get cleaned weekly and it is a nice space. They provide activities for the residents. The staff are good at excepting feedback. We had a little issue when the staff were slow to respond for the bathroom. They need a little more attendance. I believe part of the problem is the nurses are on the 2nd floor and my dad is on the 1st floor. He is in the hospice side but they have been very helpful and say they are going to work on it. There has been a little improvements.

It was a very nice facility. The residents seemed happy and well-taken care of. Beautiful facility. We are considering it.

Good Community

My mother has adjusted well to this community. I was a little nervous at first, but they have really given me a peace of mind. The community looks great, everything is kept nice and clean. She has tried a few new activities and she loves the food. They have really impressed me with all the help they give. Everyone is very friendly and sweet. My mother has made a few new friends. I am pleased with this community and would recommend it.

I got my mother out of there asap. The staff changed every week, and I could tell they were very unhappy. I could not get to know their names because they were gone. The carpet in her room was dirty and never cleaned even when asked repeatedly. This is not a good place for people with dementia. The staff would walk by an not respond to a call from the resident. I was told by another resident, "Get your mother out of here because she was not being treated right."

How can there be so many positive reviews??

My loved one has lived here for quite some time. The administrative team has terrible communication skills and fail to return emails. If I call to talk to an administrator, I am told I cannot leave voice mail, but leaving a message with the receptionist is no guarantee of my message getting to the person I need to speak to. The turnover of key management positions during the time my loved one has been here is shameful, including 4 different building supervisors and 4 different directors of nursing. Laundry goes missing or gets damaged, a staff member's dog runs through the halls, and the food is only decent at best. Dessert is served twice a day, regardless of my loved one's diabetic restrictions. I could complain further, but I simply don't want to take the time to write it all out.

There have been some very caring individuals who have worked here, but they don't stay long. They are raising the rent and personal service prices again, so my family is searching for a new living arrangement. I cannot recommend Woodward Estates.

so understanding

The staff at Emeritus at Woodward Estates really works with my aunt who is extremely difficult. I have a lot of respect for the staff working with her, bless them. They even stopped my aunt from some bad habits she had which is amazing. They are so understanding of her difficult personality. My aunt says the food is really good here and she used to be a gourmet chef so that is saying a lot! I wish she was in a room by herself. She currently has a roommate. If weren't for that one draw back this place would be perfect!

Nice place, overall

Overall we're pleased with how things have gone at Emeritus at Woodward Estates! It's a nice looking place, and it has a quiet calm atmosphere. The staff here are friendly, and do a good job looking after the residents. My loved one also enjoys the food, although she says the dining service can be a bit slow. But overall it is a nice place, I would recommend it to others.

My visit to this facility was outstanding.
It was clean, friendly & inviting.
The staff was impressive. The manager on duty, knew the patients by name.
Will consider brining my family member here for a visit.

Nice looking, active community

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. Emeritus seemed like a very nice place overall, but not a great fit for our loved one. The facility itself is very upscale, and they seemed to have a lot going on. However, we thought our loved one would do better somewhere smaller and less busy, . This seemed like it would be a great place for more active seniors.

terrible

Mom was not taken good care of at Emeritus at Woodward Estates. It was a terrible experience that has me too emotional and shaken up to even comment on. Do not recommend them at all.

Very nice place, overall!

Overall I think they do a great job at Emeritus at Woodward Estates. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the rooms are beautiful and spacious for the price. The staff is very friendly, and they have a lot of different activities to offer. My only complaint would be that I think they need to work a bit closer with new residents just to help them settle in. My loved one has been here a few weeks and there hasn't been any sort of orientation or introduction.

Very Helpful here

We recently moved my mother there and they were very helpful. They were great with working with us, very accommodating. Sheryl Roberts, Keith Robinson, and Kansas Carter have been very helpful to us. We finally got our mother there and she is thriving. She gets regular meals, activities and again she thriving. She will be 86 and it was time, we want her safe and she was getting lonely at home and she lived far away from us.

Very nice place!

Overall I think they do a very good job at Emeritus at Woodward Estates! The staff are all very friendly, and they take great care of the people who live here. The facility itself is always well kept and clean. My loved one often has complaints about the food, so that is something they could work on. We've also run into a few mix-ups when it comes to communication, but I don't know if the problem is on their end or if it is our doctors. But overall it is a nice place, and definitely worth a look!

Lots of activities!

They do a good job here! I like that they have a lot of activities, and seem to focus on keeping their residents active and entertained. The facility is clean and well kept, and the staff all seem friendly and caring. It's a very nice place, overall!

Very nice place!

We're very satisfied with Emeritus at Woodward Estates, I'd give them top marks across the board! It's a nice looking, clean facility, and the staff have all been very friendly and professional. They have plenty for everyone to do, and take great care of their residents.

I liked the experience very well. The...

I liked the experience very well. The staff was very professional. The facility was very neat and clean. There is a theory of being able to really deal with the resident's and their needs. They had an abundance of programs to offer as well.

Working things out

You need to work very closely with the staff to get the routine for the senior and staff to mesh. It wasn’t made clear to us as to what we needed to provide for my father in total. I didn’t see a list, but there might have been one. It’s been changed to a dining room experience. Sometimes the food isn’t hot. Sometimes they run out of parts of the dinner.

They are making a lot of positve changes in their goal for constant improvement.

They are making a lot of positve changes in their goal for constant improvement, such as overall renovation of facility, staff direction, and processes. We primarily chose this community based on location, the abundance of activities, and the layout of the apartment rooms. The foods seems to always look good. I have had the opportunity to sample a few items and was pleased. Make sure you always stay engaged with the staff and the management, so they know you are involved in the care.

Very hard to get in touch with

We toured this location when we were looking into care options for our loved one. Everything looked fine during our tour but after the tour we had a lot of trouble getting them to respond to us, the communication was very bad, We just left a situation where the community had an unresponsive and negligent staff, and we were afraid this place might end up the same way, so we decided against it.

High Regards

I would definitely give them high regards. There was one incident we had where they were slow to respond, but other than that, it's been good. The price is so high, but they all are. For the help she gets 24/7, three meals a day, and all the activities, it's a good value. It hasn't been perfect, but I would recommend them. Also, the location is great! It's near a large shopping cetner, with stores and restaurants, so that's great!

Does not provide for transi...

Does not provide for transition into dementia. Patients actually talked to me and said they like living here. Not sure it is for mom.

Getting much better

It's getting better, they have a new manager now so it's getting better. I would say in the beginning it was bad, I'm not sure exactly because I don't live there but my sisters went to meetings and they had a lot of complaints about the staff letting people sit around and not doing things with them, but they had some meetings and it's getting a lot better. They have a lot of activities for them to do, it seems like they're making them do a little bit more and they're communicating better. They're trying to get a little more things done and now they don't have some of these old people that just sit around in wheelchairs in the hallway, they talk to them now and get them to do things.

I toured this community on ...

I toured this community on Sunday, October 13, 2013. This community has many options that I believe will benefit my mother. I plan to hopefully schedule a visit for my mother to see this community within the next 3 weeks. In the meantime, I plan to visit additional communities for comparison.

Very nice place. Currently ...

Very nice place. Currently does not provide care to patients with memory problems. Rooms have a kitchenette, lots of room. A little pricey but everything is included other than telephone and cable TV. Studio would be ideal. Room rates rise 5 - 7% every year.

Too busy. A lot going on.

Too busy. A lot going on.

ALZ program is Join our Journey. They...

ALZ program is Join our Journey. They can provide PT & OT and file with Medicare. Shared rm may be avail @ $4k, single @$4.5k.

Lovely facility. Nice sized room. Ove...

Lovely facility. Nice sized room. Overall nice features.

At the top of our list, so far.

At the top of our list, so far.

I thought the director was exceptiona...

I thought the director was exceptional, in her attitude and her knowledge of the community. I was impressed by the cleanliness of the facility, and the warmth i saw towards the residents.

They do not accept Medicaid. Nice vis...

They do not accept Medicaid. Nice visit 9/16. Nice place but more independent living apartments. Too expensive.

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.