Brookdale Fredericksburg - Fredericksburg, VA

Lovely facility with caring attendants. The only drawback was the need to use elevators to go to the dining room.

Very Proactive Staff

The staff at Brookdale has been really proactive while my loved one has been in the community. They've been great coming up with solutions for his care. I will say that when I visit, I have seen the residents involved in some activities, but that the community does not offer as many amenities as I have seen available at other places. Overall though, the community is clean, the excellent staff is very helpful, and I am pleased with the facility overall.

A great place for seniors

We had a scheduled visit to Brookdale Fredericksburg and we were vey pleasss that we took time off from our busy schedule to do so. They had an amazing incentive going on at that time and that did not convince us but rather the caring nature of their team and how well organized they were. I know this might sound strange but my dad went back home to bring his check book because we did sign a contract the same day because Mum was being discharged from rehab. Mum has had a 180 degree turn since she moved to Brookdale Fredericksburg thanks to their amazing staff and the rehab team.

Friendly Tour

We had a pretty nice tour of this community. We toured it for my mother, and her needs. Everything went well, and everyone was kind to my family, and I. The experience was a good one, but we did find another community that met our needs better.

This is an Amazing place

My Mom and I are very pleased with this community and the staff working here. Everyone is friendly, caring and there is a homey feeling here. There are so many great amenities here for the residents, a movie theater, game room fully stocked with things to do, a cooking club on Sunday's for those who like to cook. There are special events they had an Elvis impersonator. Mom likes going to the dining room and the menu has some good options. There's even a front porch with rocking chairs for the residents to sit and visit with one another. This community has the best value with the most to offer. I would also like to say that my advisor from A Place for Mom was great, she learned all about my mom and what I wanted for her and her follow-up was terrific.

My experience

This is a nice community. The person I met during my tour was friendly. This community allows pets and offers transportation. I did not like that someone did not follow up with me on why they would not accept my loved one.

Staff always smiling and caring. Say nice uplifting things.

A wonderful facility. It guarantees an individual's independence. When I'm older, I would live there.

Stay away

Stay away! Memory care unit poorly staffed, poorly trained, poor communication! UNSAFE, my parent fell within less than 48 hours of admission.

Great Facility

We were able to find this facility for my mother as she began to require assisted living. We found the staff at every level to be friendly and caring. The staff was very helpful as my wife and I worked to get my mom from a rehab facility into Brookdale. Unfortunately, due to health problems which developed before she moved in, she passed away shortly after moving in. The staff again showed compassion and was of great assistance to us.

Big place!

The Brookdale Fredericksburg was a large multi-story building. I toured it a long time ago and don't remember much detail, but the place was clean and the people were nice from what I remember. Overall good tour.

Not An Ideal Room

I thought they were a nice facility. The price was not a fit for us and the layout of the room was not what we wanted. The rooms appeared to have no medical assistance. Rh facility was clean and odor free.

Nice and Friendly Community

This is a nice community, and my tour was a good one. From what I saw the community looks nice. It is a well-kept community. The tour guide was nice and informative. My questions were answered, and everybody was kind. My mother needed a little more care than they were able to provide. This is a nice community. A good place for someone to live.

Need Better Communication!!

When i came for a tour of the community i was promised many things. At the moment i have been having a hard time trying to get services done for my loved one from the community. When i ask something to be done they just leave me hanging this is what i have been feeling. The community is nice and its clean. I really wish the staff would communicate much better.

Big Mistake

My Moms been there for 3 months and I have had it... I am getting her out of there... Please think twice before putting any on in there...

Taking Good Care Of My Parents

My mother loves this community, and both parents doing very well here. They are eating very well, they serve nice meals. The staff is great, they are very friendly and kind. I know they are receiving good care. They are comfortable here, their apartment is nice and big. There are nice activities, they are trying a few. They do a very good job of keeping the community very clean. Everything is working out very well. I would recommend this community.

A Month at Brookdale

To date, I have found Brookdale of Fredericksburg to be quite nice. The facility is clean and spacious like a nice hotel. The dining staff is especially friendly and provide a good variety of selections for the residents meals.
The nursing staff seems to be very patient and provide the level of care needed for my brother and his wife. After just a month at Brookdale, their move has been better than expected.
Hopefully, they will continue to adapt to their new environment.

Larry

A Month at Brookdale

Hopefully, they will continue to adapt to their new environment.

Larry

Very nice location. The Memory Care Unit is small in comparison to other facilities but don't let that discourage you. The staff at this facility are beyond excellent. It is evident that they care and are engaged in the well being of their residents. Although small, they have a courtyard so that their residents can safely venture out doors. They also have cookouts and work stations which provide activities for the residents so that they still feel productive. All though small in size, this place packs a big punch and is definitely worth taking a look.

Under Staffed

This is a good community and it is working out well for us. Things are going well and my relative seems to be adjusting well. I would say the community is under staffed it does take a while to get someone to come help when you call. It is a clean community very well-kept. The food is good and they offer good activities. I would recommend this community because it is working out well for us.

Real Friendly

So far it has been real friendly and real easy to get through the process. The only problem I have is that we have not had a good feel for the physical therapy aspect of the place, they still have not given me a price on it.

Not A Good Place

They do no do what they say they are going to do. They have a hard time keeping their CNA's and making sure the patient is okay and giving adequate care. They just cannot get that going. I am moving him out of there this month. The good thing is that their meals are good, I would rate those a 5. Everything is else is a 2.

Unprofessional

The fact that I called Brookdale Fredericksburg several times and the staff members have not yet gotten back to me makes them look really unprofessional. I have to give them only a one - star rating for Friendliness

The staff is very friendly...

The staff is very friendly. I haven't met anyone there who isn't. My dad lives there at the Brookdale. The food is certainly decent. They're not very quick in service but I don't know if anybody would be faster. My dad wished there was more activities. I appreciate that he is well cared for. I think the friendliness of the staff is the most important thing. They are very friendly and very respectful towards the residents.

nice place, nice staff, needs renovation and is in the process.

My loved one likes it here. The staff is nice and caring and also are the other residents. They dont have to many activities though should be more. It seems to be going okay so far. I dont have anything to complain about just the activities.

Good for assisted living

Our loved one has only been there for 2 weeks. So far things are settling in.

Mixed experience

We've had somewhat of a mixed experience with Emeritus at Wilburn Gardens. The facility itself looks nice enough, and now that our loved one has settled in she is getting to like the staff. For the most part they are friendly and caring. However there are a lot of areas they could stand to improve. Our loved one hasn't had anything good to say about the food, and she also complains about the lack of scheduling and communication from the staff regarding activities.

Understaffed and not providing promised care

It is good for someone that just needs assisted living, not for anyone who needs more than that. They are understaffed, they promise you the world, and it's just not there.

For example, several times my grandmother has used her emergency alert because she had to go to the bathroom, 40 minutes later they still hadn't come, and she peed all over herself.

They said they would feed her if needed, and that hasn't happened, and she gets upset

When she needed aspirin it took 40 minutes for someone to even come to her room.

Too few for too many

There was a daily activities calendar provided monthly. However, few activities were actually held. No one came around to remind residents before the activities, so residents with memory problems pretty much stayed in their rooms way too much.

Residents who had memory issues could not remember to press the button to seek help from staff (my parent thought it was a heart monitor) so unless a staff member came by the room, there was not really much assistance from the staff.

There were just too few caregivers for too many residents.

Issues

Wilburn must be the only place on the east coast without WIFI. It was very frustrating moving in to discover a week long wait for TV hook up and then have such a limited channel selection. And to learn that getting WIFI would ultimately cost $50 a month for the Comcast contract.

There was a lot of confusion about medications and I'm still not confident that it's been solved. It took 6 hours to receive a requested med.

The second night of my sister's stay, she fell going to the bathroom. She pressed her pendant many times before resorting to screaming loudly for help. She lay on the floor for an hour.

The food is terrible. Powdered eggs or rice krispies for breakfast. No fruit.

If it were up to me, my relative would be elsewhere

Best suited for the individual who is truly able to take care of themselves with little to no mobility issues and just needs meals provided. First day of residence, the head chef and activities director were fired due to having a relationship. Staff morale is low and issues are obvious when you hear staff complaining in the hallways to each other. Each resident is given a necklace to wear allowing them to push when needing assistance. The 2nd evening it took 25 mins for an aide to come, I had to go down to the director's office and have her radio for someone. She said they were probably giving someone a bath. Turns out the only aide on the floor said she was delivering food trays to rooms, my relative needed to be helped to the toilet. Aide came, but put her unsmoked cigarette on the rail outside of my relative's room, then went in to assist. Guess she was going to take a smoke break. Prioritizing the needs of patients is crucial, yet doesn't happen. Short staffed seems to be the norm for the weekends. Toilet in room clogged on a Saturday and was told it would be fixed on Monday. Unacceptable, no way resident should have to be wheeled out of room to use toilet downstairs or down hall, especially for the amount of money being spent. It was fixed later that day. Two weeks later, toilet broke again. Oxygen issues that were told would be taken care of, over and over and are constantly being addressed. The previous nights dinner tray still in room at dinner time the following day. I could go on and on. WIth each visit there seems to be another issue that has to be addressed. TG there are a few of the staff who seem to be caring, others should be employed elsewhere-compassion and understanding instead of a frown and making one feel as if they are a bother is unacceptable. If it were up to me, my family member would be placed elsewhere. A fancy dining room and pretty sitting area mean nothing when everything else seems to be problematic.

Sam Pollock

Thank you for voicing your concerns regarding the care your loved one is receiving. Your experience with our community is not typical as evidenced by the reviews here. As you stated, we did lose our head chef and Activities Director from our family, and we apologize for any undue stress this may have caused. We work diligently to respond to all calls from residents for assistance within 8-10 minutes, and all staff are equipped with a two-way radio that allows them to inform other staff members when they are unable to timely respond to a resident’s call. Regarding your concerns about the toilet in your mother’s restroom being broken, we agree that having to wait two days for a working toilet is unacceptable. To ensure this doesn’t happen to another resident, we have informed all staff members to fix the toilet themselves if it is just a clog, and to only involve our Maintenance Director if the issue needs more attention.

Regarding the oxygen for your loved one, we recently received new doctor’s orders which allow for your mother to ask for oxygen whenever she feels she needs it. Our records show that your loved one has a contract with Linn-Care for oxygen delivery. Our Executive Director has asked our nursing staff to check with Linn-Care to ensure that your loved one is still on their delivery schedule following the new doctor’s orders. If you have any further concerns regarding your experience with our community, we invite you to reach out to our community management team or our Ethics First Program at www.emeritus.com/ethics.

...excellent job!

They do an excellent, excellent job! They are top of the line all across the board as far as I’m concerned. They’ve done a great job. They are expedient, compassionate, and thorough. The food and laundry have worked great as well.

It’s a very nice location.

It’s a very nice location. I like the facility. They need more staff, but everyone is very friendly.

It’s hard to judge the value of cost, but I’m told it’s a comparable value. I’d like them to do more activities.
If you can bring your loved one to the community first, meet the head nurse and the chef. Take advantage of opportunities to stay if offered.

The food is a little bland, but okay.

independence needed

considering my mother's need for help on a daily basis and her fierce need for independence. to quote, nothing wrong with my brain it just a ninety two year old body. Everything I have seen, heard and research says this will be a good match.

Everything You Want on a Budget

My father needed a home; a place where people cared about him and saw to his needs. He's found a home at Emeritus at Wilburn Gardens. The staff goes beyond courtesy and caring, forming a bond with their charges that makes for a family atmosphere. When I visited, all of my dad's needs were addressed with a care I've not found anywhere else. They even made arrangements for my dad to visit when I wasn't able to bring him over. I was very impressed with their customer service and willingness to go the extra mile to make sure that we were both satisfied that this was the right place for my Dad.

Rooms were nice, but hallways smelled

We liked pretty much everything about this except it seemed like when you got in the hallways, the hallways smelled, it didn't smell clean. The rooms were ncie, there wasn't any smell in them, the staff was friendly, the people that we talked to and we had an appointment to take her back there but didn't because of the smell.

Wilburn Gardens

Preparing to bring the patient in went very good with all questions answered. However, there was a lack of support when bringing the patient in. The coordinator and maintenance were not there so many things we were told would be done when they got back several days later. No one showed up during the several hours moving the patient in and we were left to constantly go down stairs asking for help most of which we stumbled across hours later. There should be some procedures for welcoming the patient into the facility instead of leaving it exclusively up to the family. As an example, no one helped setting up the TV and we had to find the person to get the medicine arranged. Basically we were given the key and that's all. The facility itself was cleaned and the people there attentive to the patients.

Liked what we saw room sizes were gre...

Liked what we saw room sizes were great. Big facility could be a little overwhelming.

Clean,nice knowledgable staff. Howeve...

Clean,nice knowledgable staff. However rooms are too small. No grounds to speak of.

Toured the facility. Very nice.

Toured the facility. Very nice.

pleased with what we heard and saw.

pleased with what we heard and saw.

New mangaement has been put in place ...

New mangaement has been put in place over the past six months. Almost all positions of leadership were changed, including the Dining room. The food has greatly improved. The facility has been completly remodeled as well.

We offer a home like setting and cheerful smiles from our professional staff who greet you everyday. Our caring staff offers the assistance you need while respecting your independence.

Our peaceful setting, restaurant style dining experience, activities and beautiful setting combine to create a wonderful living environment everyday. Our genuine caring staff, home style meals, daily activities add to our residents' experience. They will tell you they appreciate all the options while living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.