Brookdale Spruce Wood - Durham, NH

Would like a larger apartment living room. Everything else was very good and housekeeping and cleanliness meticulous. Friendly, staff and residents.

Brookdale Spruce Wood

I toured Brookdale, and I thought it was a very nice community. However, it’s a big place, and I was uncomfortable with the fact that it was situated across two floors and my mother would have to use an elevator to get around. I thought she’d be more comfortable in a single floor community.

Today Mom made the choice to become part of the Brookdale community. She absolutely loved it and it meets her healthcare needs perfectly. The community is very beautiful with a warm-family oriented feeling. The move will be a difficult one for her but the kindness of the residents and the staff at the Brookdale will certainly make it easier for her.

Spacious Rooms!!

My mother has recently moved into this community and out of all the different ones we had looked at this one was by far her favorite. She has a spacious suite with a comfortable bedroom and living room as well as a little kitchen. She has had no complaints about the meals and enjoys participating in some of the activities they offer through out the week. I have a peace of mind with her being there and would recommend it to anyone.

A great tour!

The Brookdale Spruce Wood was a very nice place. The staff was all friendly and the tour guide was knowledgeable. We chose another community because of personal preference.

Very scary experience at Brookdale Sprucewood

Looks can be very deceiving. Don't risk your loved ones life like I did by falling for pretty decor and nice fake smiles. Their main concern is profit. My Dad lived there for only 2 months and I am very grateful that I was able to be there every day and see what really goes on there. We found his blood pressure meds on the floor and in the bed. His BP was sky high, he could have had a stroke and died there. Asking for them to take BP and got a lot of excuses why they can't get a reading until we start heading out the door to ER. They clearly had a lot to hide judging by the way they acted when I asked for Dads medical records. Property of the patient according to NH bill of rights, page 2 sec.10. They refused to give them to us. Had to call NH Ombudsman. When I finally received the records there was a lot of missing info. No daily vitals. No medication administration records. No BP records for month of Jan when problems occurred. No notes from CNA or RN in resident log except 5 entries by the director of nursing. Seems very odd that for Dec there was 5 pages of notes by various staff but January the only person who had time to write in Dads log was the DON????? The whole experience really just felt slimy. Fake smiles covering up an lot of inadequate care and very understaffed. Had other issues getting help with daily activities also but not life threatening like the mismanagement of medication.

Location, location, location!

The people here are great. They gave a very insightful tour and knew what they were talking about. The community looked like it was kept up. The residents were out and about and the staff was involved. The location just was not what we wanted.

Just what I was looking for!

Since my first communication with this facility, I have been very pleased. Everyone is helpful, professional and the quality of the environment is very nice. I found it to be an ideal setting for my Mother.

Mom doing ok in Memory Care Unit at Emeritus at Sprucewood

Overall we're happy with Emeritus at Sprucewood. My mom is in the memory care unit and the care my mom is getting seems good. She has on different clothes each time I see her so I do think she is clean. I like the activities they do with the patients. The food is ok. My only complaint, so far, is that I feel cleanliness could be better. You have to look at a chair before you sit on it because patients do drop food on the chairs. I understand that is going to happen but I don't think they are cleaned on a regular basis. My mom's bathroom definitely needs cleaning. Of course, my main concern is that my mom is taken care of and she does seem happy there. We definitely try to check in on her frequently because we want to make sure she is ok and being taken good care of.

Nice place!

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. Emeritus at Spruce Wood seemed like a very nice place, overall! The people here were great, and the community itself was beautiful, clean, and well kept. They're definitely worth a look for anyone looking into care in the area!

Not a good experience

We did not have a good experience with Emeritus at all. The facility itself looks nice enough, but they just don't put a lot of effort into the care. They just gather them all into a room and leave them there for most of the day. My loved one did not do well here at all, and we decided to find another facility after a few weeks.

Very friendly and accommodating staff

I think they do a fantastic job at Emeritus at Spruce Wood. We had a very hard time convincing my loved one that she needed this sort of assistance, but the staff of Emeritus at Spruce Wood were very supportive and helpful and stuck with us the whole way through. She still hasn't really settled in here, but they are trying their best to help her adjust, and I know this is a good place for her. Everyone here has been very friendly and accommodating! We also appreciate that for the most part their pricing structure is all-inclusive, so we know the sort of bill we will be receiving each month.

Very pleased with the service!

They've done a great job at Emeritus at Spruce Wood taking care of my loved one! The staff here are wonderful. The community has a family feel, and the employees genuinely seem to care about the residents. The head nurse in particular has been wonderful to work with. It's a clean, well kept facility, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking into options for their loved ones.

The friendliness of the staff would be a five plus.

They community is kept very clean. The friendliness of the staff would be a five plus. I am pleased with the care that they give, it's worth the price, I would say they are a good value. They are working on expanding the activities, they are constantly working on them based on interest. The major reason we picked this community is that they had good security, a lock down area. They have independent living too, so I can be in the same community, hopefully that will only take a couple of more weeks.

Questionable Behind the Scenes

I would say this about any facility that is for profit, but I am talking specifically about the Emeritus chain. This facility is in my home town, and I have thirty years in the industry as a physician. It is a beautiful facility with great decor. However, their motto is minimal staff, minimal service, maximum profit. Behind the scenes with patient care and communication is questionable. Initially was so impressed by them after talking with their marketing person, who did a great job. When doing that, though, you don't get an opportunity to see it behind the scenes and inside. I would be sure to carefully study them before choosing.

Located on a picturesque 16-acre wooded setting in the beautiful town of Durham, Brookdale at Spruce Wood offers an upscale, yet comfortable and affordable community with private Independent and Assisted Living apartments, Respite Care and an Alzheimer’s/Memory Impairment Program. Their compassionate and caring staff has over 56 years of experience providing the highest level of care to seniors. Unlike any other senior community on the Seacoast, all under one roof, residents enjoy a world of amenities and events to keep them active, engaged and happy.