living at an Emeritus Senior Living community.

The sense of community is all around you when you become part of the Emeritus family. Through special
delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.

A tour for mom

We toured this community for my mother's needs.The rooms were not what we wanted. The restroom did not have sinks. The staff was nice and the community was clean. The staff were nice and seem to be very attentive. They offer a nice menu. This community did not have the room that we wanted for my mom. We would recommend this community for other families to tour for the care of a loved one.

Nice Tour!!

I have no complaints of how my tour went of this community. The staff where all very friendly and made sure to give my loved ones lots of great information on everything they had to offer. They had a nice floor plan with lots of great amenities available to all of the residents. It was just not the right fit in the end decision.

Everyone at Brookdale has been so helpful and supportive. Any questions or concerns have been answered or addressed in a very timely manner. I have recommended Brookdale to my cousin for her Mom.

All is Well for My Mother at this Community

All is well for my mother with her move to this community. Everything is working out very well, and I'am pleased with all they have done for us. I know she is safe, and receiving great care. They have a good staff at this community. They do a good job with the cleanliness. Her room, and the community are nice, and clean when I visit. Everything is working out very well for us at this community, and I would recommend it,

It is going well...

My loved one is settling in very well at the Brookdale Salem. The staff there are very friendly but could use some help. As in most places, they are very short staffed. Besides that, my aunt seems to really enjoy the place and she is happy to be there.

Super excited!

They have been absolutely wonderful to me and to my brother. He likes the activities because it keeps him busy and something to do. The food is great and if I was able I would eat here all the time. The community was always kept clean. I love this place and I am very pleased.

We love it!

The staff here has been just wonderful with my loved one. We really like the people here. The staff is nice and attentive with the residents. The community is always clean and neat. I would recommend them to others.

We arrived to find that Noah was not only not there but we were told he was not in town. The lady at the desk contacted Erin who was there. She didn't even speak to us and passed us off to the receptionist who was extremely embarrassed that we were left hanging. She was very apologetic and friendly. She did make a call for us and found out that there were no vacancies in the memory care wing. So we left with no tour and no information. VERY disappointing. I am giving this facility one star only because this survey will not allow me to give it zero stars.

My Mother In Law Is Doing Fine Here At This Community

My mother in law is doing well here, everything has worked very well for her here. I'am pleased with all they have done for us. The community looks nice and clean, her room and the community are well maintained. They have a good staff, they are kind and friendly. There are activities available for her when she ready to participate. I know she is being cared for well. Overall this is a good community, and I would recommend it.

Very Good Tour, We Enjoyed It

Our tour of this community went very well. They treated us very good. The community looks great, everything was very well maintained. The staff was kind and friendly. My questions were answered, they were also informative. It was a good experience.

A Work In Progress

It is still a work in progress for my mother here at this community. She is still adjusting to the community, but I know she is safe. They are providing her with great care, she is in good hands here. They do a good job with the cleanliness. There are activities offered for the residents. The food is decent. I wish there was more residents for her to engage with. Most of the residents are pretty advanced in their dementia, and my mother isn't. This is a good community, they have good staff here.

All Is Good

My grandma is staying here and it has been going fine for us. They have different room options to fit your budget. The staff are nice and caring and communicate well with me. My grandma seems to like the food they make. I would recommend this community.

Had some doubts, BUT...!

My dad has only been there a couple of weeks, but the staff has been terrific. I had concerns because of other reviews which complained of follow-through, but my own experience has shown a management team and staff who are anxious to address and resolve my concerns. Dad says it feels like a "hotel" with excellent customer service.
Dietary is currently working on some issues regarding selections offered and meal times, but they are quick to say they will fix him whatever he will eat. Housekeeping could be improved but the cleanliness of the facility overall is good.

5 Stars

My mother is adapting very well and my experience overall has been positive. The community is nice and always clean. The staff are attentive, welcoming, and really seem to care for the needs of the residents. The food is good too. Since living in the community Mom has gone bowling on the community site and is awaiting other outings. I would recommend this community because it is a really nice, clean place.

Not a good experience

Our experience with Brookdale has not been a good one. There's a huge breakdown in communication between all levels of the staff, and the care really suffers for it. I think they sell a really great program when you're touring, but they don't follow through with the promises that they make. I seriously question if they're even delivering all the services that we're paying extra for. I would recommend families looking for care for their loved ones look elsewhere.

A Proactive Staff

I thought that they were very proactive in helping me out because we kind of had an emergency situation and they were accommodating within an hour of when I first contacted them. They were very helpful as far as understanding our situation, etc. They have been proactive about keeping me informed.

A Fantastic Facility

The Brookdale Salem is a fantastic facility. They keep it very clean. The food is excellent. They get 2 choices for meals. The residents are friendly. The staff is nice. This is a very nice community.

Review Still Not Published

I posted a negative review of Emeritus at Ridgewood Gardens last Saturday - one week ago - and it has not been published, despite an email that said it could take 1-2 days to post. It was a very honest and unflattering review. I would not recommend this facility to anyone. Unless things change drastically, your family and friends are very likely in danger living here, as others have been, and worse. We unfortunately found this out the hard way after our family member lived here less than 10 months. This Emeritus looks very "nice and shiny" from all outward appearances. But never judge a book by its cover. It will be interesting to see if either or both reviews are ever posted.

Similar to Cave Spring but with larger rooms

Review of Emeritus at Ridgewood Gardens Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Salem, VA

Friendly staff. Close to home. Small studio apartments. Areas smelt like urine. Did have a nice greeting area. Large round stairwell in main lobby did not like because felt residents could fall done them. Staff did not appear to know the residents by name. Was 4th choice because of location. Price ok. smile

Very good nursing and care staff!

Overall our experience with Emeritus has been a good one. It is a nice looking, well kept facility, and all of the care staff we've interacted with have been great. The management staff had some organization problems when we first moved our loved one in, they were almost entirely unprepared on her move-in date, but after the first week things improved immensely and have gone fine since.

The facility was very nice,...

The facility was very nice, clean and appealing inside and out. Gaylen, was very helpful on the phone prior to my visit and with my husband and I during the visit. She was pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. We are definetely considering the facility if we can work it out financially w/them.

Fine Facility

I found the facility very pleasant. The staff is helpful and the place is well-laid out. My brother is well cared for. He has dementia and is brain injured. I am kept informed of what goes on and it is really good for him.

No longer here

They are not providing any care anymore, I removed her from their facility. I asked for two and a half months that somebody in administration remove a piece of equipment that she was no longer needing or using and when I picked her up it was still sitting in her room. I asked that she be re-examined by her doctors for Lasix and they said they would be giving her Lasix, when I looked at her list of medications, Lasix wasn't on there. It was very hard to get them to do anything after we got her in there other than the doctor, whenever he made his rounds and rushed in, if he even did that much. I don't know if he ever laid eyes on my mother or if any of them really paid attention because they would have seen the swelling. For the price being paid, I don't think it was fair to the residents and their families that on several occasions they were given hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner because the kitchen was closed. My brother and I were up there and they were cleaning the carpets, which is fine, but they could have done it after dinner so it would have had the time between dinner and breakfast to dry instead of serving the residents sandwhiches in their rooms, I was not happy with that at all.

This one's in trouble

Now it's getting worse. Turn over is always the issue in these places and the nurses assistants are the ones that do most of the care and good ones are hard to come by. I'm not trying to be mean, but something's going on with this Emeritus because they can't keep a director. Thank god they still have their director of nursing because she is the solid rock of that place. The people in food service are gone and the servers who were probably making a few extra bucks are gone too, it's "swirling the bowl" as some people would say. My loved one has been to the hospital numerous times and they drop the ball everytime she comes back. They take things away that she needs not to fall and say she needs a pt order for them (orders she already has) and sure enough, she falls again. I think this emeritus is probably an outlier, but they've cut back the hours at the cafeteria so it's an obvious sign that they're in financial straits. A 40 minute response time is not unsual, they don't know if she just needs a pill or if she's fallen and cracked a hip; everything has fallen apart. As long as we learn who to crack the whip at it's a lot better than just cracking the whip and it falling through the cracks. Some of them are friendly, but friendly doesn't really matter when you're responsible for someone's health and care.