Brookdale Margate - Margate, FL

Brookdale Margate as of Jan. 5th is closing down and giving its residents 60 days to move out. they have a huge ant infestation
which is causing a lot of residents to be turned down moving into new places or being told they cannot bring their furniture.

Still A Work In Progress, But Overall A Nice Community

We are still adjusting with my fathers move to this community. He is doing well, but there is some things they promised, and they did not follow through with. I was told they were able to provide a higher level of care, but we had to hire an extra aid to help my father with some extra things. This is a nice community, they do a good job with the cleanliness around the community. He is pleased with the meals. I would suggest that you do a lot of research on the type of community you want for your love one. It is still a work in progress for us in this community, but I would recommend it.

We were not impressed at all with this community.apartments we were shown were extremely dirty and some smelled really bad.we were not at all interested in this facility.

Brookdale was the Answer to Months of Our Prayers

We all know that it is inevitable that we might have to move our loved ones into a an assisted living or nursing home facility one day, but that does not make it easier. After seeing dozens of places that quite frankly made us consider continuing to care for my mom ourselves (even though we know we couldn't provide her with the appropriate level of care), we settled on a place that was too expensive, did not offer the amenities she needed and that we were not excited to go visit, let alone put her there. Then we received a suggestion to check out Brookdale Margate at the last minute and EVERYTHING changed. Hemo, the sales director was awesome and was a real pleasure to work with. Virginia, the administrator was very organized and helpful. [Removed], the director, was a genuinely good person who loves his job and who really cares about making his place the best. Even the housekeeping employees and the maintenance men were so professional and willing to do whatever was needed to make her life better. The place was incredible, it was clean, the unit was so nice that I would live there and the services were EXACTLY what my mom needed. The rent was no more than if we rented her a similar apartment somewhere else without 24 medical supervision, skilled nurses, daily transportation, tons of activities and 3 incredible meals per day along with hundreds of amenities. For a reasonable additional fee they allowed us to pick and choose what mom needed (medication management, bathing assistance, oxygen storage, cable and internet, etc) and to exclude what she did not need right now. For the first time in several years, my mom was able to truly live and feel independent. Mom has a pendant around her neck in case she needs assistance and has nurses who manage her medication around the clock and check up on her. The base rent also includes housekeeping, laundry, linens and a bus to the bank, grocery store or doctors appointments and much more. She loves the apartment and after losing almost 100 pounds in a year, the food was so good that she ate more than she has at a single seating in a long time (and trust me when I tell you that mom is a very picky eater). She was able to bring her own furniture and make it her own, has 2 TVs with Comcast and Internet, a full kitchen with brand new appliances, a screened in patio with artificial grass, a separate bedroom with a huge walk-in closet, a very patient friendly bathroom and she even was able to bring her companion, a 5 pound Yorkie. Prior to the move, during the move and after the move everyone there has been so helpful and accommodating. They welcome all of the family including my 5 year old son to come hang out, go swimming, and no different than if she had her own apartment, she can invite her family and friends to stay there as long as they want and even overnight (up to 7 days at a time). My wife, my son and the entire family enjoys visiting and we love the people (all of the staff and the other residents) and the place. I truly believe that Brookdale Margate will add several years to my mother's life expectancy by giving her the ability to have a life again and that makes us all happy. Needless to say, I would highly recommend them to everyone who wants to help an aging loved one to live an independent life in their retirement.

Mom is a difficult person

Mom is still adjusting to her new surroundings but so far she seems to be doing well. She is pretty independent and doesn't require a lot of help doing things. The staff seems to be friendly. She does not like the food at all but that is just her personality I"m sure there is nothing wrong with it. The staff keeps open and constant communication with me they provide me with feedback when asked. Overall I would recommend them to anyone.

Not Impressed

I was not impressed with my tour of this community. I would not had felt comfortable placing my mother in this community for her needs.

It had a smell...

My mother and my daughter toured Brookdale together and they did not like it. The tour guide, I do not remember his name, was very pushy., Also, the facility had a bad smell, and it was not what my mother was looking for.

This place needs much improvement !!!!! C-

Corporate needs to wake up and visit this property !!!!!!!!! Its beautiful outside but the inside is lacking ! This place could be a four or five star healthcare facility but due to poor maintenance & housekeeping 3 stars would be all its worth. The place is dirty and every time I go there i see the same dirt that they never cleaned. The people working there are lazy and uncaring, they yes you to [Removed] but do nothing you ask. When medicine is ordered they dont go out of their way to see that the medicine is delivered and dispensed. They are suppose to pick up the wash but forget and asked why it wasn't picked up their answer is to blame the resident. The place does smell like old people its that they dont have any fresh air circulating into the building. Trying to get thru to the staff is like trying to get to talk to the president I call to speak with a manager but they can never be able to reach one and when you leave a name and number they never call back and forget about trying to get thru to the accounting dept its a one person show and she will never call you back unless you tell them your calling corporate and are going to make a complaint. If you can find a better place I would tell you to take your love one there because unless corporate steps in this place is going down and going down fast . I'm in the process of looking for a better place !

More smiles would be appreciated

Brookdale is a really nice place. It's located by a beautiful man-made lake surrounded by large pine trees. The room is lovely and it's a very affordable price.One thing that could improve is the morale of the staff. They seem to be rather detached.

Great Amenities!!

My mother has made a smooth transition into this community and has really liked participating in many of the activities as well as the dinning experience. The only complaint we have had this far is that there should be faster response times with the staff. We have been waiting three weeks for her dishwasher to be fixed. We have also asked multiple times that her trash be taken out and it has yet to be done.

Rest Easy

Everything there seems to fit my mother's needs. The staff is attentive and friendly. She loves her apartment and I am so happy that she will be safe with so many helpful workers nearby. She has been enjoying the meals and appreciates the option of cooking if she does not want to join the community for a meal. She especially feels pampered with the laundry and housekeeping services. Thank you

Different set of people!

This community was very outdated and dull. The residents also did not fit the residents that would be able to communicate with mom. The majority were a lot more disabled. However, the person was nice that showed us around and very helpful.

Overall Love one is Well,but Community could use some Updating

My sister is doing well overall here at this community, but there are some improvements that could be made. I would say the studio apartment they show you, and the one you move into are not the same. My sisters apartment is a bit small, and has a stove that does not work. I have suggested that they remove the stove to make it a more usable area. Also when they spray for bugs, they should do the surrounding areas not just one room. This is an older building, so there is some updating that needs to be done.

Good to go!

Everything is going real good with my mom. We like the community and what they have to offer. Mom likes the food and the activities. We feel that they do a good job with cleaning the community and mom's room.

Really nice community!

We went to this community and took the tour. The staff was nice and friendly and they answered all of my questions. The community looked nice and as a whole seemed like a good place. We just found somewhere else.

Nice place!

The Brookdale Margate was nice and the people were all friendly, but it did not compare aesthetically to the community I ended up choosing.

I am considering a place for my independent mother. I was pleasantly surprised with Brookdale

Needs inprovment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you first pull up to the place it looks very nice ! When you step inside its starts to downgrade ! Yes it does smell of an old aged home, like they dont have the air circulating in the building. The dining room is very big and has different size tables. The building is separated in two sections. Looking around I found the place not as clean as I would have liked to seen it ! The elevator was filthy. My dads room was nice a one bedroom with a kitchenette. The over all cleanliness of the place needs a big improvement !!! The outside looks like it gets more attention then the inside. What they need is a surprise inspection from someone in there main office to show up unannounced and see if they would put their parents in there after walking around ! The staff yes's you to [Removed] and promises you everything but as soon as you leave they do nothing ! Why is he here because i haven't got the time right now to move him, but believe me as soon as i find a better place hes going to be moved. These are someones love ones in your facility take a little time to walk around with your housekeeping staff and look at the floors,, the inside of the elevator walls and door track. Sitting behind a desk and not visiting your properties is the reason people are not happy or satisfied with your company !

Everything has been fine.

I am very pleased with the my experience so far with this community, there has been little to no issues. The food is healthy and well balanced with good proportions. The staff are also very friendly as well as the other residents that live there. I wish they had some better communication with me since I have been in the hospital about making sure my things are okay and when I will be coming back.

Only because it's affordable

Mom is not happy there at all. The price is good though, and I can't afford anything else. She does have a nice big room though, an apartment really, and she's in assisted living, - so that's unusual, and she says the food is pretty good.
That's the good.
The bad:
Nobody does their job! She's supposed to get laundry and her room cleaned but if I don't keep on top of it they don't always do it!
Very few activities, and when there is a special one, many times they cancel it at the last minute, saying there's not enough people.
Most of the staff is not nice and won't help you with anything extra, even small things. There are a few exceptions, but not many.
There is a man to call with problems and he does help, even on his days off!

The tour went well,but I feel my mother needs more medical attention and this is an apartment setting. She will not do well there.

Keeping High Hopes For Improvements

I gave A Place For Mom a budget of $1850 and they referred me to this community. They did not have anything in that amount and was a problem. The community told me the rates go up next year and we just got here in September. I had to pay a community fee that was $1,500. It seems super corporate with no personal attention. My mom is safe and in a clean community. I liked the sized and seeming more developed. The care part for me needs more focus with attention.

Not for independent people

When I first came here 10 months ago, the facility had more residents that were more independent and needed less care. Being an independent resident, I was led to believe that this would be an appropriate place to live. Unfortunately, the residents have become more dementia/more assisted living and less and less independent. Also, most of the new people require care as in a nursing home. The management placed me with a woman who has deteriorated, wanders, etc. I have no peace in my own apartment. They say I have to move to another room not her and the people they want to put me with are not independent. For the money I am paying, I am not receiving the proper assistance and my resident rights are being infringed upon. There are some people who really sympathize. However, the top management give you the run around. This instance has been going on since August 8, and there has been no resolution. I would not recommend this place,
because it is not clean and when things need to be done. the answer is always corporate needs to approve.

Cleanliness Needs Major Improvements

This community needs a major overhaul, everything is filthy. My brother room has water bugs in it, they keep saying they are going to take care of it, but nothing happens. I would say the staff is kind and friendly. My brother is living independent portion, and does require any care. The meals are decent. They really need make major improvements with the cleanliness of the community.

Great Meals!!

The staff communication is good and they are very friendly. I would recommend this place to families. They offer many activities at the moment my loved one has not been engaging in them a lot but she does enjoy them. The meals are quite tasty and are of very good quality. My loved one is in good care and is most importantly safe.

Additional Care for Mom

This is a nice community. Very clean facility inside and on the outside. The staff needs to be more helpful in a few areas. Good food is offered with a good variety. Activities are offered to help keep active. A costly expenses ,but the staff really needs to give my mom some more personal care for what we are paying for.

Looking forward to seeing this community!!

I am looking forward to my tour of this community. They have more levels of care including assisted living. They have different room options from studios to double occupancies. The rooms offer a refrigerator and a microwave.

We are happy

So far so good. I needed a fast move in and they had a special running at that time so it worked out great. There is tons to do, friendly staff, good food, so far good care, the apartment is a little small and awkward. The bathroom wasn't really designed with a wheelchair in mind which is odd and the kitchen needs some serious remodeling. There is a balcony with a nice view so that makes it a little better. But the overall facility has everything we need.

Nice but unfriendly, kind of run down Model shown to us. Virginia didn't keep appointment. Joe, activities director gave us a tour. Sorry, not impressed.

Second Visit: Much better! Virginia kept the appointment, fully explained facilities and expenses. Showed us a one bedroom apt. which was very nice & affordable. Will consider....

Review of Brookdale Margate - Margate, FL

To much like a Nursing home with people in wheelchairs

Review of Brookdale Margate - Margate, FL

This Brookdale Independent Assisted Living facility has had the main areas of the building remodeled with the hallways carpet scheduled for replacement within the year. The Admissions Coordinator (Marketing Dept) was very helpful by providing several resources to ease the financial emotional burden of moving my parents from home to this facility.

need improvement on customer service

They're in the middle of renovations. My client is under hospice and does not receive care services or activities. They could improve the most in customer service.

Some people are good at contacting, and some are not. I'm not very happy with that. Also, we asked about replacing my uncle's water heater because it doesn't look safe.

Things seem to be going well!

Overall things seem to be going well at Brookdale Margate. I only saw the facility briefly when I was helping to get my loved one moved, but from what I have heard she seems to be comfortable and settling in well.

My mother's experience, my impressions

My mother complains about the quality of the food. She is also unhappy about the inattention of the nurses at the nurses's stations. I am describing only what she experienced and told me. I my brief visits I found the staff friendly and the food ok -- a better menu is something to think about.

Disappointing

Our experience here was disappointing overall. My loved one just never seemed happy here. I also never got the feeling that the staff were very personally involved with the residents or their families, out of all the times I visited Mom here nobody asked me how she was doing. She also developed bed sores while she was here.

Brookdale Senior Living

We deeply regret that we were unable to meet all of your expectations. We want to thank you for taking the time to visit and for providing feedback. Please know it will be reviewed and used to better serve our residents and their families in the future.

Seemed nice enough

I visited this community while looking into care options for a loved one. It seemed like a nice enough place, it was clean and the staff were friendly. However for the price I thought there were better options in the area.

Generally good

Nice facilities an friendly staff. Some problems with care response for higher care requirements (even with premium payment).
Good food and reasonable activities.
Occasional deficient staffing.
Overall good rating.

Review of Emeritus at Regency Residence Assisted Living in Margate, FL

Ok...studio not available, one bedroom hall and bath small.

Recently became a Brookdale...

Recently became a Brookdale facility on 08/01/14. They charge $2 if someone takes food back to their room. The place was unkempt, doors were dirty, no handles in the communal bathrooms. The place seemed neglected.

Not a good community for us

We had to ask many times to get his room cleaned. I’d give them a negative rating if I could. We did not have a good experience by any measure of quality. This was not a good community for us, please be mindful.

$3,125 average price. Mixe...

$3,125 average price. Mixed reviews.

I like the area, it is close to me, b...

I like the area, it is close to me, but what they could improve on is they can do what they say that they are going to do in a timely manner. For example: my mother needed the paperwork to be faxed to a doctor, and a week later, my mother is still waiting. She needs a hip replacement and can't go in for the consultation until the paperwork is faxed. She also needed a raised toilet seat because the toilet was too low, and 2 1/2 weeks after they said that they would install it, they still hadn't, and she fell trying to get up from the toilet.

It's not that the place is bad, the people are great, but they don't seem to have a great turnaround time for when they say that they are going to do something.

She loves the food and the apartment and the people, but it's like pulling teeth to get something done for her.

Questioning Care Set Up

We are questioning the facility right now. We are not overly happy with the way that things have gone since. There is a lack of coordination in management for his care. We originally liked the fact that assisted living residents were intermingled with non-assisted living, but now we are starting to question that decision. In general, the facility is clean, but a bit older.

Well Ran

It is much larger than the place that she was first at. It is a very good place, and much nicer. Much better ran. Interestingly enough, a lot of people that left the Courtyards moved to Regency, so she knew quite a few people there already.

Friendly

I think they have a warm friendly atmosphere. My mother is in assisted living, and she has an apartment with her own kitchen, although she doesn't cook.

Lots of Issues

Everyone needs to go watch Frontline's Video "Life and Death in Assisted Living" [removed] If you think that people care at this facility when you are not there and your loved one is you are wrong!!! So wrong. The four legged furry friends are actually "Rats". The walls have been chewed through by them. They are in the kitchen and hallways at night. There have been residents there that have moved out because their caregivers have been bitten. Recently a resident tried to commit suicide, a lady runs through the halls naked, a man is eating garbage out of the garbage dump. The floors/carpeting, when the resident's pets deficate on them are not washed, just dried. There are no major activities and most of the time the residents are bored. There is never any money put back into the building as the owner only uses money if the state comes in for inspection, otherwise it is at the resident's expense. WPEC-TV Channel 12 is supposed to be doing an expose' on two of Emeritus facilities in November 2013. It is a three-part series. Don't think for one minute that things are going great when you are not there. The Resident Assistant's, RA's that are there have been given a four hour course so they can now hand out medication with very little experience.

So Far, So Good

So far so good. The place is very nice. The people that we had originally dealt with are not there any more. I don't know what happened but I know the hierarchy has changed.

We've not really had a problem. Any little issues that arose were taking care of with a phone call. I've been down like four times to see my mother-in-law and sister-in-law and it seems okay. I understand that they did have a little issue with the kitchen so I can't give the cleanliness a five. The staff is terrific. I thought there would be more activities and a lot of the times they don't have what they say they're going to have.

I would move in

This community is just great. We really like this community and everything are are providing for our loved ones. I like this community and think so highly of it that I would move in to this community myself. I would recommend it to anyone.

Lobby & Atrium dirty & dust...

Lobby & Atrium dirty & dusty, conference meeting room needed to be cleaned & dusted. Interior doors, needed repainting - whole property needed a lot of general repair & upkeep. Staff friendly, trying to get approval for Memory care center.

This is a nice facility somewhat hidd...

This is a nice facility somewhat hidden from a main street but that doesn't matter. We liked it very much. I will consider this one for a further, more detailed visit.

Our peaceful setting, restaurant style dining experience, activities and beautiful setting combine to create a wonderful living environment every day. Our genuine caring staff, home style meals, daily activities add to our residents' experience. They will tell you they appreciate all the options while living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.

Amenities and Services
• Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
• Medication management
• Dining assistance and special diets
• Assistance with reminders and redirection
• Escorts and assistance with walking
• Emergency response call system