Brookdale Potomac - Potomac, MD

Really liked this facility. It could use a little updating, but the staff was friendly, the place was clean and the residents seemed to be engaged and happy. It does not offer skilled nursing so "aging in place" is not an option - most likely a deal breaker for me.

Nice tour

This is a very nice community, bright, open and the staff was friendly and they did a great job showing us around, they took their time and answered all our questions, I just felt that it was larger than what I was looking for for my mother.

She is adjusting well...

My aunt is still adjusting to the transition. It has been taking a while for them to get started with her therapy, but the staff has been very welcoming. The food is pretty good, she barely ate in rehab center she was at prior to Brookdale, so I am glad she is eating well now. They also have "off the menu" options available. My aunt goes down to the daily movie night they have and is interacting with the other residents. I am happy with our choice.

I toured!!

We really liked Brookdale when we toured. The tour guide was friendly and helpful. The facility itself was nice, but the floors could have used a cleaning. But then again, it could have gotten dirty an hour before we got there. We will never know.

Awesome floor plan!!

This was our top choice in communities for my mother that we had toured in fact we signed a contract to move her in to the facility. Unfortunately my moms health issues had come to surface and she needed more care then they had to offer. They had a great open floor plan with lots of natural light throughout the property. I would defiantly recommend this budget friendly community to anyone in need of one.

Close to my friend

I toured this community and the staff was great on answering the questions we had for the care that is given. The community I found to be clean and I enjoyed this community. Families should tour for the care of a loved one.I wanted a community closer to my home so I could visit more often, but this community is nice. I would recommend other families to this community.

Seems to be good!

The tour was good and the staff was very knowledgeable. I did not see staff interacting with the residents at all. They have a nice community though and it seems to be a nice place to live.

Nice Community, But Not The One For Us

This is nice community, but they were not able to provide the care my wife needed. It is a nice community for the right person. She did need more care than they were able to provide. Everybody was kind and caring, and they tried their best. This is a very nice community for the right person.

Mom's Good Care

My mom is happy here. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The activities are offered to help her stay active. A clean community. I would highly recommend for good care.

Little Community!!

I went on on tour I liked the community. It is only memory care it's a little small. The staff here was fine the tour person as well. It is very well clean and up kept. They do offer activities.

Brookdale Potomac gets our recommendation!!

This is a beautiful community. My parents are doing really well since moving in. The people are wonderful and there is good communication. There is a huge variety of daily activities that my parents enjoy participating in. They like the food and they offer a lot of choices. I do have outside caregivers coming to help get my dad acclimated.

A Positive Experience

It has really been a good experience for us here at this community. Everything is working out very well, and I'am very pleased. The community looks great, they do a very good job with keeping everything nice and clean. They have a very good staff here. There many activities offered. The food is excellent. They are caring for my mother very well. I would recommend it.

Brookdale Potomac is the right place for us!!!!

The staff at Brookdale Potomac are great. They have have been very good with my mom in law. The food is good and they have a lot of activities that she participates in. They do not have a social worker there to assist the residents and families. This place is not set up for people with middle to advanced stage dementia but it is perfect for us. I would recommend this community. A Place for Mom was a blessing to us as well.

5 stars all the way!!

My sister is still settling into Brookdale Potomac. She did say that this was the Ritz Carlton of these types of places. The staff are friendly and keep me updated about her care. There is a good variety of food to choose from and it is good. She does not like to participate in any of the numerous activities available. I would recommend this community to family and friends.

Brookdale Potomac

Brookdale was a prayer answered for my sister-in-law with dementia/ Alzheimers. Brookdale Potomac is small with 102 residents so it feels like a neighborhood and not a senior metropolis. Their memory care unit is a wonderful safe place and with just 16 residents we knew our sister would get the attention and care we wanted for her. The staff treats residents with dignity. It is obvious that these little souls are getting what they need at Brookdale Potomac.

Good care. Terrible communication.

I gave it 5 stars for every category listed, but only 3.5 overall because "administrative competence" and "communication with families" are not categories for giving stars. If they were, both would be at 1.

I disagree with the "blacklist" review because the care and the services are fine, but the administrative competence is lacking and the leadership is disorganized. This is better under new management but still a long way to go.

Residents seem very well cared-for. The activities are robust and very good quality. The staff are all very sweet, kind, and attentive. The new renovations are fantastic. Basic medical care and cleanliness of facility and residents are good.

However, don't come here if you need a place where you as a family will know what is going on and will be able to give information that gets through to someone. It's like talking to a wall. Administratively very disorganized. Important things (like sudden illness or need for a doctor) are reported immediately, it's the little every day things that get forgotten -- like need for supplies (soap, toothpaste), lost articles, telling someone about resident complaints being reported to family but not caregiver. Dad went a week without a toothbrush because we didn't know it had gone missing. He told us he was having (minor) pain (which he didn't tell them), which we reported to nursing and requested a doctor visit, but when I followed up 2 weeks later no one knew any thing about it and no record of request. You have to stay on top of them all the time to get little things taken care of. Serious things do get taken care of, but the daily little things are like talking to a wall.

If your loved one has hearing aids, do not come here. They do NOT know how to properly track them, check/change batteries, be sure he is actually wearing them, etc.

On the positive side, the value is really good. This seems to be the best-priced option in the area for the level of service, even though billing is really unclear. You are just as likely to be undercharged for extras (like Depends) than overcharged, so it seems to be incompetence rather than gouging.

If your loved one can think for themselves and communicate with you clearly this is a very good choice. But if you cannot rely on the resident to be clear and communicative then you have to be tolerant of the fact that the staff and administration are really poor communicators.

billing has been an issue

Brookdale Potomac is going well. The billing has been an issue. They send me a courtesy copy of the invoices. It seems to me that it is much higher than it was indicated. There was an initial community fee and I think they are charging that every month. I don't know for sure but it seems awfully high. Nothing in the bill is itemized, it is all a lump sum. They offer physio therapy in the building. My brother went for an evaluation and they want to see him regularly. They want to charge him $75 an hour but we cant find his medicare card. My main complaint is the food is great but the service is awful at this facility. They don't have appropriate help in the dining room. Therefore there is a lack of conversation going on. The facility is under constant refurbishing also. One of the things that attracted me to this facility was the library. Well, it's being refurbished and has been unusable. Upon move in they gave him a studio at the price of a companion suite which is really what we could afford for him. To get him in they offered this special price until there was a companion suite. But here we are 2 months later and there hasn't been one available. Everything is on hold as far as him getting settled. I like the place physically, it's very comfortable. My brother does like the facility. He is happy there. His mood is more upbeat than it has been in years. But the rate the the billing is going his funds will run out sooner than expected.

Enjoyed the tour, answered all my questions. My mother seemed pleased and comfortable. Went in thinking I couldn't consider this before she was beyond my care but left feeling like having interaction with others her age could be beneficial in such a warm environment. The remodel is coming along nicely, I feel like if finished I would have given it a 5.

I liked this facility very much. It had the activity level I was wanting for my mom. The shared space concept was not as deterring as I thought. However, the location is not really on my path of travels.

going well

Things have gone pretty well with Emeritus at Potomac. Things were not quite ready when we got there, but they have sense improved and overall things are going very well.

More Attention To Detail

That what my parents needed was a little more attention to their oral care to be reminded due to dementia everyday and parents also need to be reminded to change clothes the staff was not changing or reminding parents to do so. Overall the care needs to be improved alot for residents who cannot take care of themselves with basic grooming and dressing.

It's going well, my loved one is happy and content.

It's going well, my loved one is happy and content. It's a very clean place and the people are friendly and attentive. Any issues have been addressed promptly. Every time I ask I am told that they are happy with the food. They have a lot of activity offerings but they could do a little more to get the residents engaged. I haven't come across any real concerns or problems here at all.

I toured this community. T...

I toured this community. The place is very old and run down. I was hoping it would work because of its proximity, but unfortunately it did not. It felt very dark and gloomy, and the residents seemed tired.

Susan gave me a good tour. ...

Susan gave me a good tour. The facility is about to be renovated, so I don't think it will be on my short list.

This is a good community to give it a try!

This is a good community to give it a try! My loved ones have only been there for a very short time, but we are very encouraged by the experience so far. Everything seems very clean and the staff is very friendly. So far it is a good value for the money.

This place is a nightmare

They are horrible, I wouldn't recommend them to anybody and my mom was there for 7 years. They would just leave people in their rooms, my mom was hypothermic and she fell several times a week here. there were no intervening changes like medication changes, it was just this place, I mean, there's a problem, they should be blacklisted. This would definitely be a non-referral one, it's so bad there, there's been so much turnover with the staff which again says something. The staff isn't happy there and there's constant turn over. A family member like me can't get any feedback from anyone.

Emeritus Senior Living

Thank you for your response. We have made several changes recently including a new executive director. Our National Director of Hospitality and Customer Experience came to visit last week to help motivate our management and direct care staff. We are confident in our ability to address you and your mother's needs. Please do not hesitate to speak to any of the staff.

Accommodating

We chose this because she wanted to live in the city and it was close to her doctors. The rooms look very accommodating

Like very much. will probably go with...

Like very much. will probably go with this one.

continuity of care + memory care Vali...

continuity of care + memory care Validation Techniques--how clever!!

Did like, I did like the set up of he...

Did like, I did like the set up of her sharing a two bedroom with someone.

Loved it. The staff was friendly, the...

Loved it. The staff was friendly, the place was beautiful and very clean and the residents seemed happy and very outgoing. I think this is the place. Want to look at a couple of others so that mom feels she has a choice, but i think that this is perfect for her.

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.