Brookdale Oakwell - San Antonio, TX

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.

The Brookdale Oakwell community is located right in the heart of San Antonio, TX. The community's peaceful, beautiful setting combined with restaurant-style dining and fun activities create such a wonderful living environment daily. Nearby is a wide selection of businesses, hospitals, shopping centers, entertainment venues, religious facilities, and grocery stores.

City info

San Antonio is the seventh most populous city in the United States and the second-largest in Texas. Here's more info about San Antonio:

- Walkability score: In downtown San Antonio, the most walkable neighborhood, you can accomplish most errands on foot. On average, the area has a walk score of 82, a transit score of 86 and a bike score of 76.
- Average age in the ZIP code: The average age of San Antonio residents is 34.
- Number of senior housing facilities in the ZIP code: Within the ZIP code are more than 300 senior housing facilities.
- Average weather info: San Antonio, TX has a humid subtropical climate. In the summer, the weather is hot, or comfortably warm. Winters tend to be mild, subject to plunging northern cold fronts. In the fall and spring, it's warm and rainy. Annually, the region receives a couple of subfreezing nights, and snow is rare.
- Veterans' facilities in the area: More than 60 veterans' facilities are located in the area.

Transportation

VIA Metropolitan Transit, the city's metropolitan transit authority provides a rubber-tired streetcar and bus system.

- Buses: 89 bus routes and two small streetcar routes serve the city. VIA charges a full fare monthly charge of $35.
- Rail: Amtrak provides service to the city at the San Antonio Amtrak Station.

Health and Safety

The health and safety of San Antonio's residents is of importance to the city authorities. Hospitals in the area include:

- Methodist Hospital
- St. Lukes Baptist Hospital
- Methodist Healthcare System
- The University Hospital
- Christus Santa Rosa Hospital
- North Central Baptist Hospital
- Kindred Hospital San Antonio

Sports and Leisure

Plenty of places exist in the city for sports and leisure.

- Golf courses nearby: The Quarry Golf Course, Canyon Springs Golf Course, SilverHorn Golf Club, Hill Country Gold Club, The Republic Golf Club, and Cedar Creek Golf Course
- Tennis courts/clubs nearby: Local tennis courts and clubs are clean and have friendly staff. Options include: Annemaries Tennis Center, Northside ISD Tennis Center, Silver Creek Tennis Court, Alamo Heights Tennis Center, McFarlin Tennis Center, Blossom Tennis Center, Shavano Park Tennis Club, and Green Tree Tennis Club.
- Gyms nearby : senior friendly (aerobics): Senior-friendly gyms include Gold's Gym, Metroflex Gym San Antonio, and Life Time Fitness.

Shopping and entertainment

Residents can head to the following classy and stylish shopping and entertainment centers:

- Clothes Shopping nearby: Residents can upgrade their wardrobe by visiting Dress Shop San Antonio, Maurices, Macy's, Clothes Mentor San Antonio, Free People and Garment Exchange.
- Grocery stores: H-E-B Grocery, Asia market, Trader Joe's, La Fiesta Supermarkets, Sprouts Farmers Market, Whole Foods Market and La Fiesta Supermarkets are some of the grocery stores that residents can visit to shop for groceries.
- Restaurants: San Antonio is home to many top-notch restaurants, including Bella on the River, Rosario's, the Quenther House, Cappy's Restaurant, Bliss and Biga on the Banks.
- Movie theaters: The city hosts several world-class movie theatres that movie enthusiasts can visit, including Santokos Embassy, Northwest 14, Silverado 16, Palladium IMAX, Santikos, and Rialto Cinema Bar and Grill.
- Attractions: San Antonio is certainly a wonderful destination for sightseeing. The top attraction is the Alamo Mission. Locals can also take a stroll along the River Walk or visit the Spanish Governor's Palace, Market Square, La Villita, Hemisfair, The Majestic Theatre and San Fernando Cathedral. Other attractions are SeaWorld San Antonio, Natural Bridge Caverns, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

Religious facilities

An array of religious facilities exists in San Antonio, including:

- New Life Christian Center
- Vineyard Christian Center
- Summit Christian Center
- Grace Point Church West

Nice community with tons of amenities

My Grandma and Grandpa lived here. The place was great at the time, but when I tried to move my Mom in, they weren’t able to take her. The community is awesome though; they have really good food and plenty of activities available. The food was nutritious and well balanced and they seemed to have a lot of options. There were a lot of amenities and it was just nice overall. My grandpa really liked being there but there was a level of care he needed that wasn’t provided and eventually my grandmother had to hire someone from outside the facility to help. However, that was a while ago so there may have been changes that have been made since then.

Newly remodeled rooms

I toured here when looking for a place for my sister and I liked it. It’s close to home and I was leaning towards it initially but after doing the tour with my sister, it appeared that they weren’t quite ready for operation. It was a superficial walk through of things. The facility was homey. The first time I toured it alone was right after the big storm and they were flooded, they were remodeling it and fixing it all up. The rooms were nice and everything was new because they had redone everything but my sister just didn’t seem to like it and we decided on a different facility because they didn’t seem to be ready to start caring for people.

Not for mom

The person that took us on tour was nice. The community looked clean. They offer transportation and they allow pets. Mom just did not think this community would work for her.

Toured This Community

I really liked touring this community. The community is very nice clean and well maintained. The outside is done very nice with the landscaping. However, the main floor plan I was not a fan of I didn't think it would benefit my mom where she would be comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful on our tour gave us some good information.

Short Stay!!

My mother was only at this community for a short period time but I have not complaints of how things went. The staff did the best they could with her needs and made sure to keep in good communication with me about her care. She just needed more help than what they had to offer her.

Wonderful Experience

My husband stayed at Brookdale Oakwell for a respite stay and I will have to say it was probably the nicest experience I have had in quite awhile. The whole experience was wonderful. The atmosphere is very warm and inviting and very clean. The staff was so friendly and caring and attentive to his needs. He really enjoyed himself. They informed me that he ate very well and cleaned his plate. The staff encouraged him to participate and he interacted in the activities to the best of his ability. I was confident that I had made a good choice for him to stay at Brookdale and afterward I confirmed my good choice. I would definitely come back if necessary and highly recommend Brookdale Oakwell to friends and family.

Satisfied with this tour!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken of this community for my loved one. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions that I had for them in detail. They had a nice floor plan and a lot of great amenities for all of the residents that I liked. It was just not the right fit for my mother in the end decision but I would recommend it to anyone.

Mom Loves This Community

My mother loves it here in this community. She is doing very well since her move. I know she is receiving good care, and in good hands. They have a really good staff at this community, and she has bonded with them very well. They provide nice meals, and offer good activities for the residents. I'am satisfied with this community, and I would recommend it.

So far everything is a five

Mom loves living at this clean nice community. The staff have done a real good job of taking care of her. They make sure they are meeting her needs. The head nurse sat down with us and explained everything they can do for mom. They answer my questions and are responsive. The food is delicious and they are encouraging mom to participate in some of the daily activities. The community has a homey feel to it. I have no complaints and I would recommend this community.

A good tour!

My wife toured Brookdale Oakwell. She said it was nice and she did not have complaints, the people that she met with were friendly and informative, it was just not the best place for my loved one.

Happy staff, happy residents!!

Selected Brookdale for several reasons: when the staff is happy and you can tell they love their jobs, you know they will take care of your loved one! Also the facility is clean and food is excellent..

Great Facility!!

I thought this facility was very nice and have no complaints about the way the property looked and was pleased with how well maintained the building was. I just did not like all of the policies and procedures that they had in place for the residents. The location was also a little far for my liking.

A Swell Experience

This is a likable community. My tour of it went well, and everyone was courteous. The community was as neat as a button. The personnel I met was friendly and nice. The way the followed up with us after our tour was polite and kind. They were very kind to my family and I.

This is a community that was not close to my home. I liked the staff and the answers to my questions were answered. The enviroment was smaller then what I was looking for. The food appeared to be good and the activities would of bee good for my mom. I would recommend the value and care from very nice staff members.

A nice community!!

My friend enjoys living at Brookdale. They seem a little short staffed and we had to schedule her medication as they did not ask her if she needed it. She likes the food and they keep the community clean. They offer daily activities and the staff encourage her to participate. I would recommend this community.

Dining Experience Could Be Better

I like the care that is provided at this community for my mother-in-law. Things seem to be going very well with the staff. So far the activities have been good and she has made a few friends. The only problem is the meals. It seems they are out of things that are listed on the menu. A lot of times my mother-in-law has bought her own cream to take with her and shares with her friends.

Brookdale Review

Brookdale itself is fine, friendly staff(especially Dean, Maria & Laura!), very helpful BUT... BE VERY CAREFUL PRIOR TO SIGNING CONTRACT!!! Marketing Rep, [Removed], completely misled me to believe RATE would be one thing, then we get there and within 1st month, my Dad's bill went up $1000!!!! BE VERY CAREFUL OF PERSONALIZED CARE NEEDS FEE CHART!!!
FEES should be based on level of needs... NOT just a flat rate!! (example- some residents only need 1-7 pills a day, some need 20 or more, yet fee the same, over $400 per month!) Some residents need complete help getting dressed, others light help..... etc!

great facility so far, great management team

Over the past three weeks, I have spent a lot of time at this facility with my Aunt while she is moving in. I have found the management to be excellent, caring and understanding. So far the experience for my aunt has been excellent and I hope things continue as they are today. I am very pleased with our decision to place my aunt at this location.

Nice place

We're very pleased with how things have turned out at Brookdale Oakwell! The people here are very friendly, and they've been great to my Dad! It's a nice looking facility, and they do an excellent job with the food. He's settled in well, and really seems to be enjoying himself here!

Four Stars

My loved one has only been in the Brookdale Oakwell facility for about a month now, but so far everything has gone very well. It has been a decent experience and I do not have any complaints to say about them.

need to be upfront about charges

Some places need rearranging. They are in the process of improving. They could be a little more up front about the charges, expected expenses of the cares services they offer. There's too many variables of what they throw in.

a few things that need improving

We have liked it at Brookdale Oakwell. There are a few things that need improving. For instance one day I discovered she didn't have a top sheet on her bed. Also one time I walked in and she had the same clothes on from the day before. The food is good. The staff are jolly. They aren't the sharpest knives in the tool box though. I am outraged at the cost but it seems comparable to other places like it. There are one or two staff members that are lazy and don't want to work. They seem to just be waiting for their time there to be over.

Caring Place

Certainly she is getting a whole lot more attention now than the facility where my loved one was before. I get a whole lot of phone calls from the place, so I appreciate that. I feel like they are doing a good job there.

Very nice looking place!

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. Brookdale Oakwell seemed like a very nice place! It was really organized and inviting. We liked it so much we thought about it not only for our loved one, but maybe for us when the time comes! The facility itself was clean and well kept, and the staff seemed genuinely friendly and enthusiastic! They were very hands on with any of the residents who needed assistance.

The personnel are very helpful and friendly.
The van will take you to doctors appts, and grocery stores and outings.
Well kept and the dinning room looks like a restaurant with very good food.
The room has a view of the nice court yard .
The activities get everyone out of their rooms and meeting other residents.

Nice place, overall

Overall I think they do a good job at Brookdale Oakwell, although there are a few areas they could improve in. The facility itself is nice looking, and they seem to take good care of the people who live here. They could do a bit better job at keeping the place clean, however. All of the staff are very friendly and upbeat, but I do think they could use maybe one or two more people on staff to keep up with all of the work.

I'm happy with them.

I'm happy with them. I think they are doing a great job. I'm satisfied with the food, and the activities, the cleanliness, the value, everything. I don't have any complaints. I chose them because I liked the location the location really worked for us.

What a great place to take care of a loved one...

What a really nice, comfortable place for a loved one when it's needed.... Our reception from Serena, all her staff, and everyone there, including cleaning staff, maintenance (Walter), and dining room staff, were really wonderful and made my husband's Aunt Joyce feel at home... Naomi next door is a special lady and is helping Joyce to settle in...

We couldn't have asked for a better place for Joyce since she cannot stay in her own home any longer..

We would recommend your facilities no matter where they are if they are anywhere as accommodating this the one at Oakwell Ct, San Antonio...

They do a pretty good job.

They do a pretty good job. They keep it pretty clean, and the staff is very friendly. My loved ones seem to enjoy the meals, I would give that a four. The thing that could use some improvement is the activities, assisted seems to have a lot more options than memory care does.

They are excellent.

They are excellent. They are really clean, and the staff is very friendly. They are an excellent value, I really feel like I get my money's worth. They are right there if we need anything. They have lots of activities, and the food is exceptionally good. We are very happy with it.

My father will move in soo...

My father will move in soon. Do far it's his favorite place.

First impression: great env...

First impression: great environment, very accommodating, knowledgable, willing to work with me, a bit costly

They were awesome! I know that they p...

They were awesome! I know that they price was expensive, but it was definitely worth it because they were taking good care of our loved one. I sat with my loved one while she ate one time, and the food looked okay. For someone who doesn't cook much, it looked great! I gave them 5's across the board because they were awesome!

Home for a while

My father stayed at Emeritud at Oakwell X Farm for about 3 weeks. The people who worked with him were very concerned about him. They were kind and attentive. They notified me every time they were concerned about him. He liked the people and so did I.

I can't think of anything that could be improved.

The only problem has been getting the correct equipment that we need. I can't really speak to the activities very well. The food is ok, it's not a four star restaurant, but it's good. I can't think of anything that could be improved. The director was very straight-forward and would look you in the eye when you talked to her and seemed very genuine and I liked her approach.

Memory Care in S.A.

Rates a B+. My experience was October 2010 through April 2012. Evaluations of all facilities are necessarily based on personnel. As there was very high turnover at all levels of the organization, it is fair to say that people make the difference. An enthusiastic and knowledgeable marketing director sold me on the facility. She left within several months. A dedicated director was very hands-on and sympathetic to my concerns but seemed to be restricted by corporate headquarters. The head of nursing changed during this period and made huge differences and not all of them were positive. Dramatic swings in quality of care from CNA's as they were hired and quit within months or were "promoted" out of Memory Care into Assisted Living which was projected as a much better assignment. At that time the food was marginal and not served very hot. If clients had a private sitter in addition to the regular staff their care was a great deal better. It was impossible to keep my mother's clothes in her closet available to her as the laundry staff usually placed the clean garments in the wrong client's rooms despite large, obvious names in permanent marker. A friend was preparing to move his mother out at the time of her death and he had placed her in several area facilities. It was disappointing that at that time the meds were not computerized; however, they did a great job dispensing and tracking. However, they refused to provide me records of meds given to my mother on a regular basis. Due to my mother's hostile attitude they were quite flexible in changing her room due to personality conflicts. The most outstanding aid they provided for our family was to facilitate hospice service at just the right time.

Father Did NOT Like It Here

My father was not happy there at all. He didn't like the people that worked there and it seemed like even though they were supposed to be assisted living also, he never got the help. He has to wear a catheter all the time and they told him that they didn't have time to come empty it and he would have to do that himself. That did not make him happy. He was saying what am I paying them for?

The place was very nice and clean and all but he was just an unhappy camper!