Brookdale Northgate - Seattle, WA

Beautiful facility that is currently (June 2018) under renovation. Hallways are more narrow than other facilities I visited and it seemed like I needed a map to navigate the place. Their studio apartment had a sleeping alcove, lots of small and well placed closets, and a private balcony which made this my favorite living space of all the facilities I toured. Base fee was very reasonable but their 'menu' of care for the level of care my parent requires, tripled the base fee and put it out of their price range. Standard activity calendar. The dining room looked and felt like a restaurant, which I also liked a lot.

We loved the people and chose this place because of the room size and balconies but things quickly went downhill. Cleanliness of the facility was an issue, washing machines not working/leaking periodically, and huge bed bug infestation forced us to move.

My husbands need

I liked this tour of the community for the needs of my husbands care. The staff were friendly and answered the questions that we had. The community environment was nice and positive. We liked the menu and the list of activities that are offered. We would have liked this community for care if they were able to meet our needs.

Adjusting takes time

My mom is still adjusting to her new home here at Brookdale Northgate. The location is good for me to be able to see her often. I really like that the staff is so friendly and caring and the way they interact with the residents. Mom likes her room it is warm and inviting, and she really likes having her own balcony and the lighting it provides. She really appreciates how clean the housekeeping crew keeps up her room, changing the sheets and all the other jobs she no longer has to do for herself. It does take some time for the maintenance crew to get around to fix things, such as the elevator's light and the button not working properly. It can be confusing for the residents with memory issues. On another note, we are waiting for the new activities director to get the activities (entertainment, movie nights, excursions away from the community) going that they were to provide for the residents.

The Atmosphere

The person who showed us around, she was fantastic and a wonderful representative. However the community had
had an old person smell and a depressing feeling. It was more like an institutional environment.

Dads top choice!

I had toured many communities with my father and he really enjoyed this one the most out of all of them. His favorite thing about this place was how friendly and welcoming all of the staff where to him. They also offered a great activity program that he seemed to be very interested and looked forward to getting involved in. I personally liked the fact they offered a few different meals for us to try, we really enjoyed them and the overall dinning experience.

November '16 review

I'm 77; when I moved here, I didn't expect much different from two other retirement/assisted places. Here it's an old, very clean building, one elevator for four floors. Many people seem to have physical or mental disabilities. Though cultural and food/health allergies to pork are common, I was told it's not the kitchen that puts pork in soups and foods, it's the distributors used by this facility... pork is not always noted when present, in the menu; it definitely needs to be for health/religious reasons. The dining area is very clean, though noisy: carpet has been replaced with hard, attractive flooring. The living room TV is often on so loud some residents won't go there , would like more quiet space and activities; they seem to sign up for these as soon as available and posted. This is changing and we are hoping for more.

Mixed bag.

My impression is that they are adequate. The food service is very good. The restaurant style service is appealing and my sister praised it. Some of their follow-through is deficient. They use Comcast cable service for TV but it is taking a long time to set up my sister's TV. Her TV is very important to her satisfaction.

Get rid of the bugs!!

This place is a complete nightmare. The community was infested with bed bugs and I had to report them on many occasions for there lack of care. They did not feed my loved one some times and other times they would not give my loved one the proper medication. The nurses were super rude and not helpful at all. They also were locking residents in there room at night. That I feel is a safety hazard. I will not and would not recommend this place to anyone.

Be careful

Beware -- billing practices are confusing at best and billing mistakes have happened several times. Also seems like staff is not well trained in dealing with folks with dementia.

A Happy Beginning

I Our family toured 3 separate assisted living facilities. The Brookdale @ Northgate stood out in our estimation. Katri was the one who sat down with us, answered all our questions and patiently showed us all the available apts. She actively sought to find out what exactly our mother wanted in terms of experiences and activities. Mom loved that each unit had a balcony or patio and were very spacious. We all could see the staff interacting with the residents in a very personable and helpful manner. Within several days and with considerable assistance from the Brookdale staff, our mother was happily ensconced in her own apartment and making friends.

so pleased

I feel so secure now knowing that Mom is at Brookdale Northgate. I like knowing that the staff are able to keep watch on her. I feel very relaxed to know that I have handed her over to professionals. They have wonderful activities at this facility. I feel so pleased with this whole experience.

They were very friendly and provided a nice atmosphere for my dad. It was almost too much help, but that's probably a good thing. I can't think of anything they can do better. Maybe one thing in the facility would be nice is if they had lever handle doors because most of the residents have trouble with their hands. Other than that I don't have much to say one way or the other. It's very nice. It is older, but quite homey.

I felt that they were very oriented towards their residents..

I felt that they were very oriented towards their residents. They were very helpful and caring. They were really responsive to some issues that my mother had. The food is excellent and the parking is good. The location is good as well because it's only about 5 minutes from my house. It is a convenient location and easy to get to. I would definitely recommend the Brookdale Northgate. It is a great facility.

SO expensive!

Brookdale Northgate is SO expensive! I can not trust the billing at all - I never know what is going on with it. It is a confusing mess where I never know what I am being billed for. I am shocked beyond belief how much money it cost.

Our entrance into the facility was kind of a disaster. There was no one there to help us. We were left on our own to get moved in and set up.

I am certainly holding out hope that it will get better.

Rooms are large. Building i...

Rooms are large. Building is older and has been converted from an existing apartment building, therefore, the rooms are larger than the rooms at Spring Estates but amenities are also dated compared to SE. Price takes that into consideration as it is more affordable. May be right if her finances do not allow any place else just based on size of rooms to allow for her bed.

Not really all that clo...

Not really all that close to the mall off 15th. Like the 'income qualified' apts - maybe discount? Anytime dining great too. Facilities nice. Same color scene every location. All utilities but phone included in rent. Other locations may be a better fit.

Second choice at present.

Second choice at present.

Our peaceful setting, restaurant style dining experience, activities and beautiful setting combine to create a wonderful living environment everyday. Our genuine caring staff, home style meals, daily activities add to our residents' experience. They will tell you they appreciate all the options while living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.®