Brookdale Lake Highlands - Dallas, TX

living at an Emeritus Senior Living community.

The sense of community is all around you when you become part of the Emeritus family. Through special
delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.

An Enjoyable Community

My loved on has been in this community since before Christmas. When I spoke with her she told me she likes it there and says that it is okay. The have met her needs and likes for her to enjoy her new stage in life.

Fixer upper!

The walls were painted a dark color and that made teh community very dark. The entrance had boards and stuff that needed to be done to it. It was not presentable. I just did not care for the community at all.

Everything has Worked Out Well for Us Here

Everything is working out very well for my father. He is doing very well, and I'am pleased. They are providing with him with good care. Everything has worked out well for us here. He is safe and being cared for very well at this community. I'am satisfied with his move here.

Too dark. Needs repairs. Staff nice.

Brookdale is a nice community!

The person that conducted the tour was very nice and was able to answer all my questions. The room they showed me was ok. This was a larger community and felt like you were in a hospital setting.

It Is Going Well Here

My dad seems to be in a really good place, he is a lot better than once he moved in. He gets 3 meals a day and likes it. The facility is nice, clean, and a peaceful place. I am really grateful for everything.

Lots of potential here

We are new here and hope when mom settles in and communication gets better we will see better things.

Great Place for Mom

On January 3rd we contacted A Place For Mom in search of an assisted living facility for our mother. Brookdale Lake Highlands was on the list they sent us, We moved our mother in on January 18, 2016. We are very pleased with level care she is receiving and the friendly, helpful staff. The food is great and the facility is always clean and neat. A few times we have had to ask more than once to get an issue resolved. The staff always responded in a friendly ,caring way and we have had every issue resolved. Jackie, Caria, Melody and Carol in the front office have made the move a very positive experience for our mother and the family. I would highly recommend Brookdale Lake Highlands,.

top notch

Brookdale Lake Highlands is going great. She is doing really well here. It is top notch at this facility. It's way better than any of the other facilities we looked at. I am very pleased with our experience.

This enterprise is absolutely driven by money. The mission and goals they state on their website do not at all reflect the culture of their communities. our experience in Arlington's Broadway at pecan Plaza and now Lake Highlands have been heart breaking and horrible experience on both the administrative and medical care side. The last place you should put a loved one.

horrible experience-- monster of a greedy irresponsible company

cannot in good conscience give this place more then 1 star as they are now part of the Brookdale enterprise. I moved my grandmother 3 years ago from Arlington's Brookdale (Broadway at pecan Plaza) facility after horrible experiences on both the administrative as well as medical care side. Sadly the Emeritus at Lake Highlands property has now been taken over by Brookdale as well. Even after my grandmother's death, they are hounding us for money (our account was completely paid in full). Money is the absolute End-all that drives this organization. Their mission and goals they state on their website as well as calling the staff 'family' are a complete joke from our experiences at each location. The last place you should ever put your loved one.

Multiple levels of care, my husband and I can both stay there, competent staff

My husband has moved in there, and I am about to move in. We chose the place because it is small. He is in memory care, and I can move in around the corner from him.

I liked the friendliness and cleanliness of the overall atmosphere when I saw it. The caregivers seem very competent. My husband doesn't speak much, but his happy expression tells me that he is happy.

We're still in the transition process...

We're still in the transition process, some difficulties at first are normal.

They're about average for the places we checked out; they are in the middle in price.

At first there were some communication problems and we had some issues, but they worked with us pretty well.

My aunt isn't very social, so she may not be paying much attention to activities; we haven't heard about them. They do have group activities, such as ice cream socials, outings, people who come in and play music.

The location works out well' it is about ten minutes from my Mom's house.

Assisted Living Rates Star...

Assisted Living Rates Starting at: $1675 Memory Care Rates Starting at: $3600

Liked it a lot! Small yet Perfect for the Right Situation

I dropped in just to get a brochure for my father and stepmother and was greeted by a very friendly front desk greeter/operations staff member, Melody, who met with me, took notes and gave me an impromptu tour which I found very transparent and encouraging. I noted that the "lobby" was decorated with antiques and had an air freshener going which I thought was very smart for a walk-in first impression. Also, there were pitchers of water and tea by the door - maybe even cucumber water- which I thought was very welcoming and a nice touch. I was given information on Veterans benefits - even meeting an advocate, which I appreciated, plus other info, like their Emeritus network's info sheets and offerings, like Omnicare onsite pharmacy services, wECare resident evaluation system for customization, and other comparable offerings and add-ons as other facilities. She very much emphasized they are a COMMUNITY, and they are probably one of the smallest in the area which can be a nice alternative. I would guess the majority of the residents I saw in the dining room were in their 80's+ so consider that, but a few I saw were younger. I was introduced to every passing staff member who stopped and looked me in the eye when we shook hands. I liked that it had an interior courtyard with a covered patio with many rocking chairs across from the rehab/exercise room, and a gazebo outside where a resident was smoking cigars. They even had a small raised kitchen garden, and I was told residents could put their own bird houses outside which I saw several. Melody knows all the residents, and they mix the Memory Care wing (locked down for Alzheimer's) residents with Assisted living residents in onsite activities and games like batting balloons with pool noodles, they have dancing "happy hours," shuttle for doctor's appointments and I think some offsite activities but probably special vs. weekly. There's the private family dining room (every facility probably has one), activity room, library, etc. Apartments are the same as others I've seen- small efficiency types, clean, efficient & customizable and most importantly, showers were walk-in with emergency pulls. Apts. have microwaves and mini fridges only, as all meals served restaurant style in dining room. I got a really good feel from the place, staff, and for the right time, right person I would consider it a #1 choice. I would guess the main attribute is the hands on, more personally engaged one-on-one care than larger facilities since it's a smaller community of residents. I think it's important to realize that as we age, our world closes in to a smaller, simpler one. So I suggest, as you tour facilities, be open and screen based on your parent's viewpoint, not necessarily your own. Download checklists from A Place for Mom and Caring.com and similar sites. Be open and "Trust, but Verify." Also, make sure you get HIPPA Authorization forms downloaded and signed/notarized so you can get more involved with your parent's care providers. Ensure they are referred to and evaluated by a Geriatrician (specializes in aging) who can give specific advice on the types of care communities, review all medications, mental, emotional and physical health status, including diet, lifestyle, etc. My stepbrother refers to the Geriatrician as "The Quarterback" calling the shots on his mother's care.

bad curb appeal...looks lik...

bad curb appeal...looks like a nursing home. Had appt at 10am and was told she would not be there until 11. We left. She later called me and said she was there and the reception was mistaken. Terrible communication.

Over View

It feels and looks like a real home anyone would like to live in. Very clean and all the people there are so nice and helpful. It is a personal place with personal people. They get to know the person staying there and the family. I couldn't be more happy with Emeritus at Lake Highlands as to the care they give my dad. Very blessed

Homey and Warm Environment

The cost is based on a graduated scale depending upon the level of care your person needs. For mother it's been two different amounts over two months. The care is good and the activities seem to be good. It's got a very warm, homey feel to it. It's not super duper fancy but it's got really homey feel that's been a real good fit for my mother. The staff is very nice. The only issues I've had at all were them getting accustomed to her needs and what she could ask for and what they needed to know to do because she wouldn't know to ask. We've gotten that all straightened out and I'm pleased with it.

I would recommend this facility

Staff is very knowledgeable and eager to help you through the process of transitioning a loved one from home to their facility straight to memory care. Staff is friendly to residents, guests and each other. They listen to your needs and make sure they are providing the correct level of care. Willing to help you with decisions that don't necessarily impact their care (for example suggesting guardianship, etc.) I'm very happy with our decision to move Mom there,

Not Right for Us

That one was much more assisted living. It felt more like a nursing home so it just wasn't what we were looking for. My dad is still pretty independent.

Very Open

(Activities Not Rated) Emeritus is a one level community it is all ground level. It is a smaller community. The location was fairly close to our home. We really liked the atmosphere here. It is just more open then other communities. The halls seem wider and the residents seemed to be out and about. There seems to be more socialization then other communities. It seems like a very good place to be.

Very Happy

We are very happy with Emeritus and the level of care they provide. The staff is really friendly and the community is very clean and well maintained. The activities could be a little better it just seems like they have it on the calendar but last minute it gets cancelled. Overall the Emeritus at Lake Highlands is a great community that we would recommend to anyone.

I visited here. It was great, very i...

I visited here. It was great, very impressed.

Wonderful introduction and tour. My f...

Wonderful introduction and tour. My first stop and still first on my list. Like family orientation, pets, activities. Wonder about quality of food - which will be really important to her.

Very nice. Homey atmosphere. Directo...

Very nice. Homey atmosphere. Director -very helpful

Toured. Site was clean and quiet. Re...

Toured. Site was clean and quiet. Residents and staff were friendly. Rooms were small.

Mom liked this very much

Mom liked this very much

Middle size room 2800 plus 1000 for a...

Middle size room 2800 plus 1000 for additional care. Far and outside walk from cafeteria possible. Felt a bit depressing. Nice and close to my home