Brookdale Hagerstown - Hagerstown, MD

My grandmother loves this place!!!

I highly recommend this facility. My grandmother has lived there for over 4 years. The staff is very friendly and got her involved in painting and the chorus. She loves it, and they even went to sing at a local nursing home, she can't stop talking about how good she felt giving back to the less fortunate. We have lunch with her from time to time and the food is really good!! I would give this community 10 stars if I could.

A good tour

This looked like a nice clean community. The staff I met were nice and knowledgable. This community was little more expensive than what we were looking for.

PLEASE for the sake of your parent don't go here!!

Please read the reviews below too..this place is bad!!! My husbands family had their mother there. Preferential treatment was given for her entire two year stay to individuals at this place. Our mom received it too. It is not right!!! The staff was giving private medical and family information to parties they should not have regarding our mom. This came from the top RN at this site. Management was advised..nothing changed. While she was there, another resident had fallen from their bed. Our mother told us he needed bed rails and she even told the staff! Nothing happened...even though he was injured from the fall. Our mom was lethargic and depressed while there. We have moved her to a new place and she is like a new person...no depression, very energetic, literally a 180 degree change. Please do not place your loved ones at Brookdale Hagerstown. Please take care and watch out for your loved ones while in these homes. I was astonished that even the RN at this location participated in this kind of care. If a zero could be given it would have been done.

Do not send your loved ones here!

They did not listen to us that he was having a reaction to the medication and he was hospitalized. I would not recommend this place to any body. They were giving him too much medicine. They don't have enough staff to care for memory care patients and [Removed] them . Nurses lie and are incompetent. They told me nothing was wrong and he was having a reaction. When we went in to speak to the head nurse we were told she had left but she was still in the building listening to everything we said. After his hospitalization, we were cleaning out his room and they had the nerve to hand us a bill for the next month. They should have to pay for his medical expenses.

DO NOT SEND YOUR LOVE ONE TO THIS BROOKDALE

Please do not promote this property. I had to pull my husband out in an emergency and he was hospitalized for 3 days. On top of that they want me to pay for the entire month. There nursing staff does not listen to the family members and they deny anything that will make them change how they take care of the individuals that live there.
You can not tell me that my husband was just stiff from sitting when the hospital tells me different.

BEWARE

BEWARE: Nursing staff are [Removed] incompetent. Had to remove my loved one. The place reeked of urine and the staff were rude. Please, never send anyone here.

My Feeling Was Right

They are a very good place. I had a gut feeling that this was the one and it worked out, I just knew. Mom is getting therapy and is getting much better since being here. She has not complained about the therapy. She does arts and craft and gets her nails done. They have a great chef and she enjoys all the meals. We enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner with the her and the community. The housekeeping has been fine, no misplaced or lost articles. Working with [Removed] was great.

Night tour operator rude and indifferent. I wouldnt let my dog stay here.

Very Impressed With All This Community Has Done For Us

We are very pleased with all this community has done for us. My father is doing very well here. We are very happy with his move here. This is a lovely community, everything is very well maintained. His health has improved since his move here. The staff is amazing, they are great with informing me of anything that happen. Everyone is very kind and patient. This is a wonderful community with great people. We are very impressed.

A nice place!

This seemed like a nice place when we toured it. It was larger than the community we choose but the people conducting the tour where nice and knowledgable. The only thing I did not agree with is that the dementia residents are on the second floor.

This community is really really nice!!

Mom is doing better since moving into this community. She is starting to participate in some of the activities. The community is clean and I have already recommended it. I had a chance to try the food it is good and they offer a variety of choices. I am glad A Place for Mom recommended this community.

Do not trust this place. Sherry [removed] the manager Nurse is only there to protect herself and/or employees. I would highly recommend your research other alternatives for your loved ones!!

Better Places

This place is HORRIBLE. If you have a family friend that works there they you will be in great hands. If you dont there is not fair treatment. We even had the Head RN give information out to individuals that she should not have.
Corporate did nothing. We got our family member out of there. I would NOT recommend this for anyone.

Greay PLace

Wonderful facility with great care and caregivers. We are very happy with everything. thank you!

I think they could improve the Memory Unit

I think they could improve the Memory Unit. There are no numbers on the doors. The way for visitors to get in and out is inconvenient. The rooms are very nice (that they live it.) I would not say the dining area was nice at all. I would give it about a 2.

BIG PROMISES

We are overcharged and basically ignored! I am very disappointed. Got a bill today for $[removed] more than expected for all these "services" they do not get. I looked for a place that would care for my parents and evidently I did not choose the right place. I call with concerns, they will go right there and check on it and call me-nothing was done. Once again, blown off.

Brookdale ROCKS!!!

Emeritus (now called Brookdale) is the best assisted living facility I could have found for my mother. Christine Ogden the director was quick efficient and responsive in helping me and ALWAYS returned my calls and emails in a timely manner. Sherry Porter, the nurse manager, is very caring and helpful and has been a godsend. The staff are friendly and helpful. Leilani at the front desk is the most pleasant person I have EVER met. My mother calls and texts us often about all the activities she is doing and going to. Brookdale doesn't let the residents just sit in their rooms. They encourage them to get out and mingle, and they even come up and get them.

I feel very blessed to have found such a wonderful home for my mother. I was very scared to find something that fit into my mother's fixed budget. Our monthly costs includes the room and the additional assistance that my mother need. She gets 3 meals and snacks, weekly room cleaning and her laundry done as part of the room fee - just what my mother wanted.

I was afraid of this next step in our journey but my mind has been put at ease. The rooms are sizeable, the activities are MANY, the staff are caring and the location is right across the street from Meritus Medical Center. I know my sisters and I made the right decision for my mom. I am an ER nurse of over 30 years with several years of teachumg customer service in healthcare so my expectations are extremely high.

Thanks Brookdale!!

Mom's Respite Stay at Emeritus

Mom was placed at Emeritus in Memory Care Assisted Living for a one-month respite stay. While I believe that she was cared for in the best manner possible given the resources available there, I think there is room for improvement in procedures and aide-to-patient ratio.

The check-in left a bit to be desired. A prior written list of communications needed from her doctor, including medicines and general orders, would have been helpful. We didn't get all of her prescriptions and orders for over-the-counter meds (which they require from the doctor as well) straightened out until about a week-and-a-half into her stay.

The available nurses and aides were helpful and attentive (with the exception of one unkind nurse), and while it's understood that this is memory care assisted living, there should be more available caretakers, especially during the night.

Some highlights of Mom's stay included the wonderful physical therapists (subcontracted by Fox), the tasty meals, and the executive staff who did all they could to ease our apprehensions.

Very nice place!

They're doing a great job at Emeritus at Hagerstown! Our loved one has improved so much since being moved here, they do a great job taking care of their residents! The only way I can think that they could improve would be to be a bit more proactive about communication with families. They're always easy to get a hold of if you reach out to them, but they will only call the family in case of emergencies.

Very friendly staff

Overall our experience with Emeritus at Hagerstown has been a good one! It's a nice looking place, and the staff are all very friendly. Everyone is very sweet and caring here, and they really seem to care about the residents, which has really helped our loved one get settled in and adjust to the situation!

Emeritus, a "place for mom" and DAD

The facility is very welcoming both in appearance and staff. The rooms are set up nicely and the big windows make them seem light and airy. The staff is great and seems to have a calming effect on the residents, which is one of the main factors that helped me choose Emeritus. They always take the time to stop and LISTEN to what a resident has to say. Moving a loved one into an assisted living facility is an extremely emotional process for all involved, but I can honestly say I see a difference in my father. He is stronger physically and he enjoys the independence and sense of belonging he experiences at Emeritus.

A few issues at first but getting better.

At first it was a little rocky, but they seem to be straitening out, I wasn't happy with the nursing staff, but they seem to have gotten some new staff. There were some mix-ups with the medication. They are real nice people. They charge for if you need to go to the doctors, and they charge for your meal being brought to your room. They don't really have a library, but they have a book truck once a month. The dining servers are really nice people. The interaction between residents and staff. The hospital is only 3/4 of a mile down the road. Even the doctors are within 10-15 minutes away and there is an express pharmacy that delivers right across the street. So the location is convenient.

They need to improve communication with the family a lot!

We aren't notified for updated meetings on her care. Communication about things like billing or when things happen could be improved. We are being charged for medication every month but they are not giving her all of her medication. We get charged for things that we already provide. They try to help us understand things with her dementia, but the communication is not great. They do have lots of activities.

This place is nice, but, can't...

This place is nice, but, can't take mom in as long as she is on the feeding tube. And this place is also a bit higher then where mom is now in cost.

Bad Experience

They lie and misrepresent a lot. There is a lack of communication with them and when you can get a hold of them and communicate with them they distort things. When you walk in it's really lovely and seem to spend more money on the looks of the community rather then the care of the residents.

Near A Highway

The community is very good but my mother does not like it. The staff does very well and they try. My mother is a more active person then the other residents so it's hard for her to relate to them. It is located in an area with not much around it but there is a highway very close and you can hear the cars driving by. The food could use a lot of work just taste so bland. I had lunch with my mom and seemed like the patties they served were frozen. We are used to home style cooking so this was a change. I would tell people that it's ok but to keep looking for a better community.

I loved staff, they were very knowled...

I loved staff, they were very knowledgeable and caring. 10 Stars for their community.

person who gave tour did not seem to ...

person who gave tour did not seem to be very personable with residents; did not eat here but noticed that a fair amount of food was left on plates in dining room; we were not given much of a tour; sat in a model room first to talk;

I liked this home.They seemed to have...

I liked this home.They seemed to have a good program for Mom.Pleasant atmosphere.Seemed to have help for the residents in the common rooms.

Very nice facility. Stopped here una...

Very nice facility. Stopped here unannounced. The director was very helpful.

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.