Brookdale Dunwoody - Atlanta, GA

Our Family is Committed to Yours.®

Beware

Run, do not walk away from this community. Completely lacking in leadership, management that is here lies constantly. Staff is resigning and there is no Executive Director. Under staffing is problematic. [Removed] is rampant. [Removed] is the norm. Stay away.

Not a good place as of March 1, 2017

Stay away from Brookdale Dunwoody! As of March 1 there has been no improvement in the food and yesterday it took 40 minutes for my parent to be served a dinner entree. At dinner they always run out of soup and desert. There is no security being taken to protect residents. Front door is open at night and there is no one at desk or in lobby. Since Christmas many residents have left because of the non caring attitude of management.

Too Good to be True? I hope not.

My Mom moved here from a Brookdale community in Texas about 30 days ago. What was expected to be a trying transition turned into a wonderful experience. The staff and residents at Brookdale Dunwoody have welcomed her with open arms and treated her with incredible care.

We Saw The Best Apartment While Touring

Out of all the tours we had, this community had the best size that my sister wanted. The apartment is able to accommodate all her furniture. The tour itself was fine and they gave us a complete walk around of the place. I was able to get answers for my questions. Now that she is living here all is going okay.

My Morhers move to Assisted Living

My mother likes it there but not all activities take place as offered. Staff is very friendly!

Need a renovation!

I was not impressed with this community. It was a bit out dated and the carpet needed to be changed. Also the units were not very nice. I did see the residents doing a group activity and they gave us a good tour. We just did not like the community look itself.

Residents are not safe and food is horrible

My parent has been at Brookdale Dunwoody during the transition when Brookdale bought the facility. Brookdale Dunwoody has continued to go down in services and my family and I are looking at other facilities.
The food has reached a new low since my parent has been living there. The community of residents has had many meetings so management is well aware that residents are not happy with the quality, presentation and variety. My parent has told me that some residents will no longer eat in the dining room.
But my family and I are most concerned about the lack of security in the building. Since August there have been many thefts in resident apartments. I was told that three weeks ago, during Sunday lunch, two apartments were entered by thieves - doors left open. There is no security of the building - anyone can enter without identification. Residents do not have electronic keys for outside doors (like other facilities have) so the very old password for outside doors allows lots of people to enter. Management has been aware of the theft problem since August and nothing is being done. I have been told by a new resident that management tells new residents not to bring anything valuable to their apartment. What a sad situation that a senior citizen has to worry about being robbed in their residence!

Residents are not safe and food is horrible

Brookdale was a very nice facility as well; I met with Stacey and feel like she really listened to me as I explained my Mom's situation and needs. Brookdale is significantly more expensive than [Removed], but may be possible if my Mom is able to receive benefits as a survivor of a veteran. However, I don't feel Brookdale had any advantages over [Removed] and I actually think [Removed] may be a better fit for my Mom.

Assisted living only.

Review of Brookdale Dunwoody - Atlanta, Ga

The third floor CNA's gave such great service ot me and I'm very grateful.

Getting settled in

The staff here is nice and they seem attentive to the residents. The facility is clean. So far, things are going well and we have not had any problems at Brookdale. We are getting settled in pretty nicely.

Review of Brookdale Dunwoody - Atlanta, GA

This facility is located next to Emory St Joseph and Northside Hospital. The exterior is beautiful and the interior is attractive. Its not the friendliest place I have visited though. And there were some off-putting odors in the dining area and in some of the hallways that concerned me. Its certainly not cheap and for the price I would expect more.

After moving Mom into Brookdale I would not hesitate to recommend this community to anybody that asks. The staff is friendly and my Mom couldn't be happier. She loves the residents and the staff. She also enjoys the activities.

As her daughter I couldn't be happier with the location! I would say that if you are looking for long term care you should tour this community at the very least.

Nice staff. Good food. Clean place

Great customer service but the onboarding took some time. Nice place but you have to know the process of enrollment to move things along quicker.

A Best of Breed Community

I conducted an extensive review and analysis of Brookdale Dunwoody against 10 competitors in the Atlanta market. My review focused on approximately 70 metrics. To give you an idea of what I covered and what I was looking for, below is an exemplary list:

Burned out light bulbs
Torn/worn carpet
Stained walls
Stained furniture
Cleanliness of salt & pepper shakers
Tile floors & if they had been waxed
Stained ceiling tiles
Overall temperature settings in the common areas
Number of outdoor spaces
Landscaping & maintenance
Exterior building maintenance & condition

I even went as far as observing if the common area bird feeders were being kept. Although the above is a small example and is not complete, it may give others an idea of my thoroughness when I was comparing communities. I also measured the professionalism and politeness of the staff members.

Once my analysis was complete and I had finished my visits with each community, the Brookdale Properties clearly stood out as the "best in breed."

I eventually selected Brookdale Dunwoody based on these factors above, and now, almost a month in, I am pleased with my decision. Any questions or concerns that I have had were promptly addressed to my satisfaction.

I'm confident that Brookdale Dunwoody was an excellent choice for my father and my father is happy... So I would say he agrees with me.

One last thing, Brookdale Dunwoody is a gorgeous property. One that I am proud to say is my father's new home.

Very nice place

We're very pleased with how things have turned out with Brookdale Dunwoody, they run a very good organization. The staff here is friendly and helpful, and the facility itself is well kept and clean. They're doing a great job taking care of my loved one.

Nice place, not quite what we needed

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. However, my loved one was a bit beyond the level of care they provide here. It is definitely worth a look for those looking into assisted living, however!

Very Good

I’d give the staff a six! It’s like a middle sized place, not too large, not too small. It’s very clean. The staff is quite friendly. I don’t have any complaints. I haven’t eaten there, but my loved one has not complained. I think she gets plenty of choices. They’re pretty good at making things that aren’t on the menu. We looked at thirteen communities and this was my favorite from the start. My loved one picked it without me even having to say anything.

She seems to be happy with it.

She likes the place except the food. They have really high functioning people there. She is getting pretty good service. She seems to be happy with it.

Great for independent living

She was here for one year at it was independent living. She just got to the point where she was wandering too much, it was a great facility, wonderful care givers, we were very very happy there but she was walking out the front door and it wasn't good for security reasons. We ended up hiring a care giver for her the last month or so because mom was just too fast. She'd be out the door before they could even get around the corner.

Pleasant facility, close to...

Pleasant facility, close to Northside and St. Jo's medical community. Seniors appeared active, many were in the dining room having dinner, and quite a lot of talking. Anytime dining is a nice option they have. Looked at 1BR, approx. 500sqft, sink and fridge, can bring microwave. Mom and Dad could be comfortable, I think. Hallways had chair rail ledge to grasp and walk around the facility. Lots of sitting areas in hallway, but a little sterile, not inviting. didn't see anyone using them. Allows for independent and assisted living together, but no memory care. Main concern would be whether Mom could get sufficient care if Dad were gone for most of the day, for example. Not sure she would be able to find the dining room on her own, unless room was close to it. 113 units, 44 men, lots of couples, wait lists for studios and 2BR, one 1BR available

Homier than the Renaissance but more expensive too

Irina was not able to give us the tour, but Melissa the bookkeeper was available and I really appreciated her straightforward answers with us. They were having a luau when we visited. The building is about four stories and the common areas are all on the first story, though there are some apartments there too. A one bedroom is around $2995 a month and comes with a kitchenette (small fridge, microwave, and sink.) The two bedrooms are $3495. They include three (plus) meals a day, available from 7:30am to 7:30pm. As well as all utilities except for phone. They offer transportation to doctors on certain days, and to shops on others. The price can increase anywhere between 2-10% every year, which we thought was a wide range. The residents see the nurse on staff who helps determine the level of care they need. They offer three additional levels of care; level one costs $375, level two costs $675, level three costs $975; though I'm not sure what the additional costs include. The dining is restaurant style, residents can order what they what how they want it, and they encourage feedback.

My adventure at Merrill Gardens

My experience has been great. The entire staff is friendly and cooperative. I like the community and my apartment. I love the anytime dining. The food is very good. The residents are friendly and the overall community is very nice.

Requested review by Frank G. Morgan

As a new resident I have observed the functioning of the staff at
Merrill Gardens At Dunwoody and rate them as always friendly and
helpfull. I would like to converse with Kitchen Staff to discuss recepies
and cooking methods in a friendly face to face informal meeting.

Toured on July 6 with Comm...

Toured on July 6 with Community Relations Director. Very pleasant and energized atmosphere. Residents appeared to be happy and engaged. Community targets active residents who want to maintain/improve level of health. The bedroom of the regular 1-bedroom floor plan is very very small. In an effort to feel less like a facility, caregivers do not use carts. This community has a much higher male to female ratio. Meals are not served on a schedule, but are available throughout the day. There are several meal choices. Very active calendar.

Meals from 7am to 7pm

This community is located on a road that is only busy during rush hour. The trees and shrubs cover and drown out the noise from the road. They have an interior courtyard with a very nice setting and exterior sidewalks that allow you to move around. There is two major hospitals in the nearby area. The interior of the apartments are very spacious and provide a small refrigerator, microwave and a sink. The living room is big enough to host visitors without having to find a community room; this is a nice feature because you can visit with your family in a private setting. One thing that really sold us on this community for my mom is that they offer restaurant style dining with a menu and it is open from 7 am to 7 pm. The food is really good and they offer a big variety of choices. They have a choice of two dining area one in the front of the community and one in the back, so no matter when you are in the community you have one near you. My mom enjoys this freedom because it gives her the freedom to decide when she wants to eat. So she feels like she is in control of her life rather then a mouse in a maze. They also provide a Primary Care Manager on site once a week so that you can see your physician on site. If you chose to not use them they do offer transportation to and from your appointment. I have personally recommended friends to this community. My mother did not want to leave her house at all, but after a month of being there she has really came to call it home.

Very helpful and friendly staff

A primary concern for us was that the facility would be able to meet my mom's dietary needs. Merrill Gardens has been able to meet them very well. The staff is well trained, very friendly, and professional.

like the independent living -- don't ...

like the independent living -- don't love location

Great!

Great!

Favorite. Independent and Assisted li...

Favorite. Independent and Assisted living. Population is mixed she can start out Indepent and add on any Assisted living services she needs without moving. Wireless service for special senior online services and classes to teach her how to use it. They go to swim center with handicapped access 2 times per week.Very nice ver clean. 2 Outdoor courtyards.I like 1 bedroom.

Inside beltway. AL but no mention of...

Inside beltway. AL but no mention of Memory Care. May need a car or special limo service.