Brookdale Collin Oaks - Plano, TX

More of an assisted living community

Most of this community is assisted living and they have one small section for residents that have Alzheimer’s, Dementia, or other memory conditions. They staff here are all really nice and compassionate as well. Unfortunately, it just wasn’t the right fit for my mother. They actually recommended another Brookdale property that deals with more memory care in the same city. Overall, it is a very nice community, just not the right fit of my mother.

Lovely place and great people. Open and airy. Too wide open for mom to get around unless she had a motorized chair.

Very Nice

After touring at different communities I started to realize assisted living was too expensive for one on a fixed income. There are not many respectable options. The community looked very nice but it was just not a good fit. A Place For Mom is great and I appreciate their services, it is helpful.

Pleased with this Community

We are very pleased with my sisters move to this community. She is safe, and receiving the care she needs. They have gone above, and beyond to take care of her, and her needs. I'am comfortable with her move to this community, She is doing great since her move here, and I would recommend this facility.

This community gets my recommendation

Mom is doing as well as can be expected at Brookdale. The staff are warm and friendly. This community is smaller and has a cozy feeling to it. Mom likes the food and they keep the community clean. Mom enjoys playing bingo, going to church services and attending bible study. This community is in a good location for us.

Didn't See Attentive Staff

We did not care for this community. There were some issues like it is in a busy intersection and their doors were open. Someone would could wander out. I also sat waiting for 20 minutes for my tour. The alarm for a needing resident was buzzing as I waited and during the tour. It seemed like they ignored the resident in need because it didn't stop. I noticed the trash was over flowing. The only good thing was the internal courtyard, it was nice.

Positive atmosphere!

We like the Brookdale Collin Oaks very much. My mother is enjoying all of the activities that they offer and all fo the residents that she has interacted with. Everyone there has been wonderful, I recommend them to anyone looking.

Going Very Well

The care they provide is going well for my mom. The community is clean, smells well and a good place. My mom is eating her meal they serve her. She has been trying some activities and they are going to help her do things like carry the mail to different rooms. It will give her a feeling that she is carrying mail again, she use to work for the Post Office. I like the simplicity of the rooms. It's not complicated, they can bring their own furniture and they have lots of room. I also like how they keep my mom active to keep their minds active.

A Smooth Transition

My father in law is doing very well. His Transition into the community has been very smooth, which is surprising. He is in much better spirits and getting better each day. He is even able to do his therapy here at the community. A place a for mom was great with all the help they have provided.

Mom's Nice Home

This is a nice community for my mom. The staff are very helpful. It is a clean environment . Mom is very happy with the food that is available. We would highly recommend this community to others.

Kitchen cabinets missing from newly remodeled room. Have not arrived, unorganized kitchenette. Overall good so far :)

A Kind Community

I had a fine tour of this community, but I didn't care for it to much. The community looked decent. The staff I met was very helpful and nice. They were very understanding as well. Everybody was kind and helpful.

The staff are accommodating!!!

My husband has a good rapport with one of the staff members and she is the only one that can get him to go to the dining room for meals. The residents wear a panic button and this makes me feel secure about him being there. I would recommend this well taken care of community.

Getting Better Everyday

My mother is doing much better here at this community. I'am very pleased, I know she is in good hands. The community looks great, everything is very well maintained. The staff is outstanding, they have been very responsive and attentive. There are many activities offered. The food is good, she is satisfied with the meals. She is receiving great care. So I would recommend this community.

The Food Is Quite Good

This is a nice community but my wife is still adjusting. They do a monthly review of you about your loved one and how things are going. The community is nice and looks good very clean and neat. They offer good activities, she enjoys the music activities. They have good food here and I like the meals they serve. I do feel they are caring for my wife well and I would recommend this community.

I loved it. I thought it was clean, and it was run beautifully.

I loved it. I thought it was clean, and it was run beautifully. They were so friendly, I could call the head lady any time, and she would answer all my questions. The food was fantastic. It was a little more laid back, it was comfortable.

A place for dad'

Senior Advisor (A place for Mom) helped us find an assisted living/memory care placement for our 93 year old father. They arranged for the interviews and tours of
Facilities to speed up our selection process. We selected one close to our home where we could visit our loved one frequently. We observed only wonderful care during the short time he resided at the home.

Bait and Switch

Our time with Brookdale with an okay time. There was some misleading information with the staff that I wish they would had informed me of before moving my friend into the community. I feel has if they did a bait and switch with her once her money started to get low and I didn't like that. They do seem like good people and they do treat their residents good. I just didn't enjoy the bait and switch aspect that they did to my friend.

Be careful about added services after initial intake. Mom was placed in memory care instead of assisted living in part because she was a fall risk and we were promised extra monitoring.

I took mom back to Brookdale after an outing one evening and could find no staff on the floor. The med tech was in the other side of the building filling out paper work but it took me 10 minutes to find a staff member on the floor to let them know mom was back in her room.

Once in the memory care side mom had falling incidents. After the fall incidents, Brookdale wanted to have a 24 hour sitter stay with her (at an unknown cost) and made a recommendation to have her sedated.

Additionally, mom was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection from her hospice nurse (outside agency). Brookdale staff did not pick up on the UTI.

We moved mom to another facility and she got better within a week. We now are planning to have her moved into an assisted living arrangement.

Overall It Is Very good

Overall the move in was very smooth and the room was ready for us when we got there. There were a few issues with the cable that could have been taken care of ahead of time, but overall it was very good. They payed close attention to my mom, so they have been good at making sure she is comfortable and getting acclimated.

the specific weak point is the food here

At Brookdale Collin Oaks the specific weak point is the food here. The menu is all over the place. It seems like they have inappropriate choices for the residents. The sides are all starches. The chef doesn't follow the recommended menu. They run out of supplies on things as basic as milk. Even how they prepare the food isn't good. For example the chicken salad had fruit cocktail mixed in it. The chef is relatively new and I just don't think he is doing well. Also another area that needs improvement is their organization in the beginning as they have the residents move in. Initially when my grandmother was moving in things were pretty haphazard. I had filled out forms and then they lost them. Things have settled down now and are fine but it was pretty rough at the beginning.

Very pleased

I am pleased with Brookdale Collin Oaks. The staff is friendly. The facility is very nice and clean. The quality of the meals served could be improved.
They do offer activities but I do not participate. Main concern is that I do not receive my medications in a timely manner and as ordered by my physician.
My overall rating of this property is 4 ½ stars because it is a nice facility.
I would recommend this place.

Mom lived in this facility from May 2014 to March 2015 when she passed.
We typically visited mom at least once a week; however, we do not live close to this facility. We did see a decline in services as this facility transitioned from Emeritus to Brookdale. I think most of this is reflected in staff’s moral as they are now scheduled to work at multiple locations instead of just one. There also seemed to be a decline in food service. This is one of 8 facilities that mom stayed at over a 10 year period. There are a few that are much worse, but with the transition to Brookdale,I can say that there are better in close to the same price range (but what was great a year ago may not be today). In retrospect I regret choosing this location.
Instead of the local care focus this once had, just consider it similar to the other corporate driven old people warehouse culture of Brookdale.

Pro’s:
There’s a large courtyard where residents can spend time outside, unless you are in a wheel chair then they only want you outside with assistance.
Most of the staff are pleasant and care about their service.
Rooms are dated but larger than the average facility (I would rather see owners spend money on care service rather than looks).
I only noticed a smell in the facility twice over almost a year.

Con’s:
Higher community fee than most.
A pet visitation program was important to mom, it’s in the contract; however, it never materialized.
The facility has over 80 units, and has only 2 care givers scheduled on weekends. So if your loved one is incontinent it might take a while. There were a few times we found wet articles in the laundry hamper or floor of her room, but after vigorous complaining this seemed to improve.
We were told that friends would be able to call mom, however several people complained that this didn’t work. Only place mom stayed where we had this problem, so include in your plan the cost of paying for a direct line.
We would get calls if mom fell, but that’s it. Other places mom stayed were much better at keeping families informed. Imagine walking in to a facility and finding that many of the residents are sick and that the dinning hall had been under quarantine for days. (as happened just a few weeks before mom passed). I would have expected at least an email explaining the situation and what was being done about it.
Both my spouse and I received phone calls 24 hours after mom passed requesting that we move her stuff out, even though we were paid through the end of the month. Apologies ensued; however, this just shouldn’t have happened.

You can do better (suffers from acquisition)

Mom lived in this facility from May 2014 to March 2015 when she passed.

Pro’s:
Most of the staff are pleasant and care about their service.
I only noticed a smell in the facility twice over almost a year.

Con’s:
Higher community fee than most.

Staff And Care Wonderful For Short Term

My husband was at facility for 4 weeks and I would definitely recommend this facility the staff and care was wonderful. The Assistant Center Of Collin County would like to see A place for mom on the company directory called Collin County Cares she refers to them all the time.

favorably impressed

My sister stayed there at Brookdale Collin Oaks for only twelve days before she passed away. During that brief time though we were all very favorably impressed. The staff there was exceptionally friendly and very helpful and sympathetic to our situation. I would certainly recommend them.

The staff and the people were wonderful kind and caring,

The staff and the people were wonderful kind and caring, they kept me informed and I could walk in at anytime. I did have a few concerns. I never got to speak to the doctor there, and even though we were using palliative care, and they kept prescribing medication, without trying to contact me. When we moved her out, there were things missing, and none of her clothes came back. The whole time she was there she was wearing someone elses clothes. It was clean, and she was kept clean, but I felt that they really had her heavily medicated. When she went in she could walk, and she came out in a wheelchair. If I had it to do again, I don't think I would pick them. Lisa Miller was a wonderful person, and a good saleswoman. She told me that they would work with her, and that she would do very well there, that is why I chose them.

Lisa was great and they hav...

Lisa was great and they have accomodations to transition to memory care with gated area.

great camaraderie

One thing is that they don’t store any kind of narcotic – things that hospice would consider something to keep on site. They don’t have any kind of cold storage for medicines. The food is average. The residents seem to be a good mix of mental abilities – there seems to be a great camaraderie between the residents.

Avoid this location

This building is old and out dated. Constantly under staffed and management team is terrible. If you want to pay $3000 minimum a month to live in what can only be described as an environment from a bad 1970's movie set, then move here.

Sam Pollock

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us at Collin Oaks isn’t meeting your expectations. We have positive feedback from our residents regarding the décor, and they say that our community makes them feel like they’re at home. We are happy to inform you that over the last year we have added three full-time staff members in Assisted Living and two full-time staff members in Memory Care to our family, bringing our community to the highest staffing numbers in the history of our community. With this in mind, we are also looking forward to adding a new Resident Care Director and a Dining Services Director to our family soon. If you have any further concerns regarding you and your loved one’s experience with our community, we invite you to reach out to our community management team.

Shabby, like Preston locati...

Shabby, like Preston location better

Great place, and very caring staff

They've done a really great job here, and I feel like Sandy, the memory care director, did a great job of spending time with us, listening to our concerns, and reassuring us. The staff were all amazingly friendly and did a great job of helping my loved one adjust and settle in, which was a big concern for us since the last place he was in was a very negative experience for him.

Superior staff

Staff has gone far beyond the call of duty to meet unexpected challenges in making my loved ones feel secure and comfortable.

Generally all were friendly, seemingl...

Generally all were friendly, seemingly disorganized, Did not change dining room table cloths when soiled. Late night help questionable. This would be an average place, If you could not find another that you felt would be better for there loved one, this would not be the worst place for them.

Been a rough week, but overall, Emeritus is good

Actually, it's been pretty well. The problem is, she had a fall and broke her right shoulder yesterday. Nothing against Emeritus but they're just assisted living so I'll probably have to start looking for skilled nursing places now. The people have been really nice, they were great when she fell, absolutely wonderful and they're doing everything they can do.
Like most places, I think they're understaffed, they're pretty good about the cleanliness, it's a small facility and really, overall, I think they're pretty good. We did have some issues moving in, but we resolved those. The staff members all know everybody by their first name, they're all friendly to people whether they know you or not. All they can do right now is keep mother comfortable, they're checking on her more today because she's had a UTI so they're monitoring her and checking on her more, it's been a real bad week.

Not Happy

They are not good at all. They wake up the residents in the middle of the night just so that they can go to the bathroom whether they want to or not. They don't send you a bill yet they will still charge you a late fee if the payment is not made on time. They use to be a good community but they have been under new management and have really gone downhill. They change just about everyone in the staff from top to bottom. No happy with them at all.

Not Enough Staff

A the time we looked they did not have enough staff per person that we wanted and it was more expenisve that other places.

Really Went Downhill - bad food and cleanliness

My dad hated it. It was okay when we first go there but it really went down hill. The cleanliness was bad. The food was terrible! It was terrible for the residents. When I called to ask a question they never returned my phone calls. They had really gone downhill by the time I left.

Much like LH - good feel overall. Ver...

Much like LH - good feel overall. Very pet friendly. Say food is great.

Type B Assisted Living; can stay long...

Type B Assisted Living; can stay longer prior to committing to Nursing Home. This is a Big Deal! Facility is well maintained and clean. Director was bold enough to walk me into the kitchen, nothing shocking. Staff & residents interact well with each other. Rooms are nicely laid out. Alcove room overlooks center courtyard. Residents maintain vegetable gardens. Good closet space. Call button on wall in room. No kitchenette facility in room however, room for micro & small refrigerator. Very close to our home.

Toured with the directory today, Feb ...

Toured with the directory today, Feb 23. Anna is very sweet and knowledgable. This is an older facility and less expensive than the others. Studio room is smaller than Atria and Prestonwood. It was clean, no odors. Same for memory care unit. Main concern was there was no one at the front desk when I arrived. I waited for about 4-5 minutes before anyone came by to offer to help me. There were 3 residents in lobby by front door. No one was there to monitor if they left. An hour later when I left, there still was no one at the front desk.I don't think this would be a good situation for my mother. They had 60 residents in AL with capacity of 70. Memory care has 21 with capacity of 30. Currently there are 2 caregivers and 1 med tech plus volunteers. Ratio of 2/60 seems low to me. They do have a paging system but no emergency pendants for residents. They will be getting those in the future.

Liked the fact that it was right by ...

Liked the fact that it was right by public transportation. rooms were good size.

Living accommodations consist of sepa...

Living accommodations consist of separate apts. surrounding the Courtyard. Friendly staff, clean facility.

the Director is very sweet and knowl...

the Director is very sweet and knowledgable. This is an older facility and less expensive than the others. Studio room is smaller than Atria and Prestonwood. It was clean, no odors. Same for memory care unit. Main concern was there was no one at the front desk when I arrived. I waited for about 4-5 minutes before anyone came by to offer to help me. There were 3 residents in lobby by front door. No one was there to monitor if they left. An hour later when I left, there still was no one at the front desk.I don't think this would be a good situation for mother.Could not see the 1 bedroom apartment today. Saw the Alcove room but I think mother will be happier in something larger. They had 60 residents in AL with capacity of 70. Memory care has 21 with capacity of 30. Currently there are 2 caregivers and 1 med tech plus volunteers. Ratio of 2/60 seems low to me. They do have a paging system but no emergency pendants for residents. They will be getting those in the future.

nice,said the right things, ??????

nice,said the right things, ??????

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.