Brookdale Champion Oaks - Houston, TX

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.

Needed Brighter Atmosphere

Brookdale Champion Oaks was just not the right fit for my mom. It was clean and the staff was nice and they answered all of our questions, but it was not as bright and cheery as what we were looking for in a home for my mom.

Clean Property!!

I have no complaints of how things had went for my mother and I during our tour of this community. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions we had for them. I thought they had a lot of great amenities available to the residents as well as activities. It was just not the right fit for us in the end decision for my mom but I would recommend it to anyone.

Very small. Located a short distance from my former employer...not the best neighborhood

Superb Admistrative Staff!

It was and still is a major adjustment but we are getting through it. The administrative staff are extremely attentive and helpful, especially[Removed] (Executive Director) and [Removed] (Sales Manager), they are superb at following through with all requests and have made this transition so much easier.

We are still working through some issues with medication distribution but other than that the medical staff and associates are ok. What's particularly nice and convenient is the home health and ancillary services who came to do initial evaluations and recommend personal services that will improve my Mom's health, activities and experience while at Brookdale Champion Oaks.

The atmosphere is peaceful and the courtyard is very pretty. Most importantly my said in her own words, "I've been happier since living here!"

Good so far

My Father moved here recently and we chose this community because it is close to where we live, It was a reasonable price and the staff was knowledgeable and able to answer our questions.

Still Adjusting, But Happy with My Move

I'am doing well here at this community. It is a transition, but I think I will be happy here. The staff is very kind. welcoming. They are helping me settle into the community. They do a good job with keeping everything nice, and clean. My family knows I'am safe, and In a good hands. I would recommend this community.

The tour went well. My sister put down a deposit.

I would probably recommend this community!!

There is an issue of being charged for services that she is not receiving. The director is also not very friendly. Mom is adjusting to living in her smaller apartment at Brookdale. The caregivers are exceptionally friendly and willing to do anything to help us. The food is eatable. They offer activities such as bingo. There is a church and hairdresser on site. The community is clean.

5 stars all the way!!

The staff at Brookdale Champion Oaks are attentive and caring. They keep the community clean. They offer daily activities. I would recommend this community.

Does not feel like home!

Brookdale Champion Oaks is a one story building. The community is very old and not very appealing. The rooms are not very private as you walk through the halls you can see residents in their rooms. It feels more like a hospital. The staff were very friendly and informed me on all the pertinent information regarding care and costs.

not happy with was some of the medical care

We love Brookdale Champion Oaks. They were really accommodating and helpful. The only thing I was not happy with was some of the medical care. Her blood pressure was low and they hadn't documented it. So when she had to go to the hospital we didn't have all the information we needed. That was real concerning. Other than that it was wonderful. It is an older facility but the staff really care here. She is on the star waiver program and this is the best facility that we found.

Brookdale is doing wonderfully.

Brookdale is doing wonderfully. She has gained weight and looks good. They call us right away if anything comes up. The staff is really friendly. We liked the size of it, and that they didn't have elevators. I liked the small community feel, it was more home like.

It was nice, though it's an older facility.

It was nice, though it's an older facility. I didn't care for the roommate situation, they have a lot of shared rooms. Though it seemed okay overall. I was introduced to a couple of ladies who were eating lunch. They said they liked living there, that the food was good and they had quickly become friends once they moved there. The community told me they would give me lunch when I came out, but they didn't give me lunch.

This was one of my top two choices when I was looking

This was one of my top two choices when I was looking for options. It was very nice, and when it came down to the final decision, it was about my loved one's personality, and which of the two fit her style better. The other place felt a little more homey to her.

We are extremely pleased.

We are extremely pleased. We are so relieved that he is cared about and comfortable. He is really happy and has bonded there. They have been excellent. It was a perfect fit for him. The courtyard is really nice, and it's safe, it's contained, but he can be outside. They took him on a fishing trip already, and that really helped with the transition. The transition has been difficult but they have been so patient. They take the time to get to know the family.

old facility, but very clean

It's an old facility, but it's clean. Brookdale bought out the facility recently, so it remains to be seen how things will play out, but they have been very good thus far. Mom has had some health issues, and the staff has been very good at helping and communicating.

Not the nicest place but it...

Not the nicest place but it is clean and the people seemed really nice and the residents seemed happy. Cost is reasonable. I am not crazy about the location, but fewer residents, and they seemed very content.

Older facility has a cozy f...

Older facility has a cozy family atmosphere and several long-term staff members. I spoke with Cindy Best. Lovely courtyard with bunnies and turtles. No kitchenette in the rooms.

Emaritus at Champion

I have my Mother there, and she seems to enjoy it. This facility has room for about 70 residents, with about 45 rooms, plus or minus. My mother shares a room with another lady, and the relationship seems to be a very good one. they do allow smoking, outside on the back porch. This is a good thing if your Mom or Dad smokes, and is becoming increasingly rare. They have good food which is served by nice people. They always seem to have about two people working with the residents at all times.
Many of the residents have some stage of dementia, and some are stroke impaired, and some are just elderly. One thing that I am impressed with is the willingness of the residents to help each other. This happens all the time, every day. The emploees will tell the residents its time to eat if they forget. They do have a couple busses that can haul handicapped, ie. wheelchair bound residents, and they take them shopping one day a week, like to walmart. So residents can buy what they need if they are able. They also take residents to Dr. appointments, if they are close by.
This facillity is fairly old, and the tv reception needs work. They know that. The rooms are not kept very clean, which seems to be a staffing problem. They furnish toilet paper, and that is all, so you will need to supply any cups or tooth paste ect.
They have an atractive front, and a dirty back pourch, ie cobwebs on the chairs ect.

Sam Pollock

We appreciate your comments regarding you and your loved one’s experience with us. We have spoken with our television provider, Comcast, to clear up any reception issues with service. Please be assured that our Maintenance Director and their team work diligently to keep our community clean, and will be sure to allot extra time throughout the day to ensure the back porch is clean.

Good possibility. They have...

Good possibility. They have a good program and Environment. In my top 2 choices now.

Bright area. Clean faciliti...

Bright area. Clean facilities. May not be enough people on hand. Am considering.

Emeritus at Champion Assisted Living

Emeritus at Champions on 1960, Houston, Texas. Good place for my 96 - year - old mom. Friendly, clean, caring staff. Staff has had background checks. Marketing team did a great job of helping me transition my mom into Emeritus. They answered all my questions and responded to every email in a timely manner. There are activities, hair salon, church services, etc. I'm happy with the facility and services.

Poor quality of care

UPDATED NOVEMBER 2014
I am the person that commented on the medication issues. I do not know why there is no report of the problems I commented on as I spoke in person to the director. The fact that there is no such report is concerning.

MARCH 2014
I cannot count how many changes in personnel there have been in the past two years. The facility is older and has not been kept up, exterior and interior. What is especially troubling is that the staff does not follow the doctor's orders and on two occasions failed to give my loved one the medicine that was prescribed.

I have noticed on a number of occaisions where the restrooms were not clean and the garbage was full. That could be improved. The rooms are small, but I like the staff there, their friendliness, and the level of care they are providing for mom.

Nice looking place, but very small rooms

We toured this location when we were looking for options for our loved one. It was a nice looking place, they kept it clean and the staff were friendly. They did not have any availability for single rooms during the time of our search, and also the rooms themselves were very small.

Nice enough place, but not an option for us

This place was a bit run down compared to the other Emeritus facility we saw, not quite as new or nice looking, but they had the same great care staff and care philosophy that we liked at the other one. They were also in the process of renovating, which may improve the feel of the community. This was also very competitively priced compared to other locations we looked at. Unfortunately this facility was not an option for us based on specifics of my loved ones care needs.

I would not reccommend them because of these problems they need to resolve.

When you are looking for a place, the people that you meet with and talk to and sign the contract with, you never see them again once you are in there. So it's important to meet the nurses and aides. Management is awesome, the director the sales manager are all very nice they are awesome, and the head nurse is very compassionate & helpful. When you walk into the place and the way you're greeted is just great. The aides and the nighttime staff are not good. At night they are not responsive to calls. I can tell they want to fix the problem . I would give the nighttime staff a negative score. I would not recommend them because of these problems they need to resolve. They have a new head nurse who is awesome, and a new director and sales manager, so I think they are trying to fix things. We chose it because they were friendly and fit our budget, the location, when we went in they always had the scentsy pots burning so it smelled really clean, I have not seen the scentsy since then though. They definitely need to work on the cleanliness of the entire facility. All the other ones we looked at were big, like hotels and this was smaller, more intimate, with less people.

Great Place

After touring Emeritus at Champions I had a great feel of yes this is the place. The staff is real friendly and willing to help any way they can.

Good Experience

It is older community, but they do the best with the building that they have. She is getting a lot for the money that she is paying. I do believe that she is happy with the care. They keep them quite entertained. I think that they are very much for the clientele. All of them are very good with the clientele. Very friendly. The meals at Emeritus are really good!

Seemed more like a nursing ...

Seemed more like a nursing home in facility. Liked staff who know their residents well. Smokers patio.

This is where I hope to move her

This is where I hope to move her

Accepts Medicaid. Double occupancy on...

Accepts Medicaid. Double occupancy only. No kitchenettes. Did not like.

I had a very nice tour of the facilit...

I had a very nice tour of the facility. The shared room space is very small and the facility is adequite.

This is an older place located away f...

This is an older place located away from the hustle and bustle of 1960. The director was extremely helpful and gave me a full tour of the location. I spoke with and talked to a couple of the residents. The overall appearance is clean and well kept; however, each of the residents have the ability to decorate and organize their rooms themselves. The eating area seemed organized and clean. The residents were just returning from an excursion to Wal-mart and seemed quite excited. The Activities Director, was well-spoken and friendly. Overall, there wasn't any pungent odors, the staff was friendly, the atmosphere was welcoming and peaceful, and the residents seemed happy.