Brookdale Carmel Valley - San Diego, CA

We offer a home like setting and cheerful smiles from our professional staff who greet you everyday. Our caring staff offers the assistance you need while respecting your independence.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.® License #374602801

Needs work

Since Brookdale bought this facility from Emeritus it has been well maintained physically. However, current management has cut staffing, cut quality of food and generally been unresponsive to complaints from residents about this.

There are no RN nurses in the assisted living section. The staff, while very nice are over-employed and under educated. The administrator is in over his head and should be replaced. Corporate is unresponsive. The regional manager doesn't answer her phone nor return calls.

So, while the facility is well maintained, the service to residents is inadequate.

good but would like gardens

My tour!

The staff I met seemed nice and the community looked clean. I liked this community when I visited. They are close to the bus line and they offer activities. The community I chose was in a better location for my need.

A tour for care

This is a nice community. We wanted a independence community for her. She likes to be active. It did not seem to appeal to us. The meals did seemed to be appealing. The community was clean and taken care of. The did have activities that would be offered. I would suggest that families tour this community to see for them self if this the care that they are needing for there love one.

What started off well ended badly

My mom lived here for 2 years. She came in fully functioning. Last year she broke her leg and required more care, and then I realized that call button response times were about 30-45 minutes. She was in and out of SNF side of Brookdale, call time response over there 15-30 minutes. Staff is kind but stretched. Billing was a nightmare. Last straw was when she was wrongfully evicted the day she was discharged from SNF with hospice care. Moving my 95 year old mom the same day she was supposed to move back to her comfortable apartment to finish her life - was very stressful for both of us. She died less than 3 weeks later. Community Care Licensing investigation says "just a big misunderstanding" and stamps "inconclusive". BBB files complaint under another company name. No justice for the elderly. Beware the Big Corporation Eldercare. They really do only want your money and will tell you anything to get your loved one to move in.

We like it!

This is a nice community. This is one of the two communities we are looking at. It is a little on the expensive side. The staff I met were nice and the community is clean.

The staff at Brookdale were very accommodating!!

They do not have televisions or phones in their rooms. Kelsea was great as she gave my loved one a tv, a table and chair and an electric bed for her room at no charge. I thought the food looked good but she did not like it. They offered a lot of entertainment and other activities. They followed through on what they said. My only issue is the billing process. I would recommend checking on the daily costs before moving in.

need itemized billing

I am pretty happy with them. I would like to have a more explicit bill. The billing is hard to understand. They give you a bill with a lump sum on it which makes it hard to understand. They need to itemize the bill so that you can see what you're paying for.

A Really Nice Place

So far the staff members have been very nice and have done all that they can. My loved one has not been there for very long, but they are trying very hard and the place is clean and warm and it is just a really nice facility.

clean place

I think the rooms are lai8d out really well. The food is good and they have good service. I have nothing bad to say.

Very nice place

Our experience with Emeritus at Carmel Valley has been a very good one. The staff here is friendly and professional, and they really helped me get everything arranged and set up for my loved one. The sales/marketing person I worked with really was a huge help. The facility itself is clean and well kept, and they do an excellent job looking after the residents. I highly recommend the place based on my experience so far.

Staff are caring, communication excellent, lots of activities

The biggest thing is it's location; it's very close to my house.

It's easy to find the right people to talk to there; they aren't hard to find. Communication is really good with the staff. It seems to be run very well. The people who run it are very caring people. It's going well.

Since she is a recluse, she doesn't like to do activities, but they have alot going on; such as music, bible studies, story telling. Activities are going on constantly. They encourage her, and she's gone to some, which is very good, since she doesn't like to participate.

We're really happy so far.

Customer

Wonderful Community. Nothing in life is perfect, there are things that could be a little better. The things that matter are very well taken care of.

I have had many experiences at many communites. This is the best by far.

They have wonderful grounds.

They have wonderful grounds. The people are friendly, but we were in the nursing home end of it, so it was a little different environment than what a normal assisted living community is like. The physical therapy services were fantastic.

A Little Understaffed

We're not entirely thrilled with Emeritus at Carmel Valley. There wasn't enough staff is the dining room. What happened, I think, is a bunch of people moved in and they didn't have the staff to cover it. It's gotten better in the last week or so but once two people from the dining room called in sick and my parents had to wait and hour and a half to get there food.

Another time, I happened to be visiting and it took a caretaker over 30 minutes to come when they were called and then she said she was washing clothes. I asked her, isn't responding to a call more important? It just seems to me that they're kind of short staffed. It might be a problem that can be alleviated.

My parents have a two bedroom apartment and it's very stressful because my dad has Alzheimer's so my mom is anxious that he's going to get up and fall so we're considering moving him but I have to say they're very nice over there.

Too Far Away

We went and saw this one. On the surface it looked pretty good but that was a fair way away from here and the week I put my wife in there, there was a report on it on the television. It wasn't a very good report. Of course it's a big conglomerate across the United States so some of them are bound to be not quite as good as the others.

Very Very Good

I can give them a 5 for cleanliness and friendliness without a second thought! I am cheap so I would always like things to be free so for the value, I'm going to say they did a great evaluation and they're great, but I'm cheap.

My aunt just got there. She is somewhat paralyzed so she really can't enjoy the activities as much as I wish she could. I chose the community because it offered all ranges of care. The place is extremely clean and well designed. The food is very good with many, many choices at each sitting.

The director was very nice. They do the medical evaluation very quickly - just the physical evaluation needed a little bit more. We want a wheelchair saddle so my aunt doesn't slip out of her chair and a floor mat in case she slips out of bed. She only arrived last Tuesday night so to be honest, they are doing very, very good.

Very nice place. Lovely apt availabl...

Very nice place. Lovely apt available, but we are not ready to move.

Went there, and director was very acc...

Went there, and director was very accomodating... looked at both one and two bedrooms, and the facilities in general. Nice place, well taken care of and residents seemed happy.