Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

Poor Introduction to Revera Living

Moving into assisted living was a daunting experience. The first night my parents experienced a male stranger knocking on their door late at night who used his pass key to enter their suite. My mother was so frightened she told him to leave then pushed a chair in front of the door to prevent further entry. She complained of freezing that night because no one had shown or explained how to adjust the heat in their unit. They don't know what to do with their full garbage pails or how to use the laundry. And even though bedding, towels and toilet paper is provided, they purchased more sheets because the front desk could not provide laundry markers and my 90 yr old mom is afraid she will lose her bedding so insists she will do them herself. The driver service for medical appointments is only available until 2:30 pm so for any afternoon appointments they will have to find their own way back if the doctor runs late. My mother is on a no salt, low liquid diet but the food offered does not accommodate this and my fathers hearing deficit makes it difficult for him to converse and the young staff at the front desk (who answers questions) needs to be instructed how how to talk with the residents who are hard of hearing or cognitively challenged. They provide a residents handbook but I would recommend having a staff member sit with them and go through the basic daily items, i.e., mealtimes, laundry, garbage disposal, who to contact with questions and provide phone numbers for appropriate services, etc. I think the moving in process should be handled better by Revera. The unit was not ready for their arrival and after the first week they are still waiting for the broken towel rack to be reattached to the wall. It is difficult for my siblings and I, who live out of the country, to help my parents handle these daily questions and frustrations.

NothappywithColonelBy

My grandparents recently moved into Colonel By and we are not impressed so far. The front desk staff is clearly not trained to deal with the elderly and they've been very dismissive of our questions. We've also found out that some of the "perks" we were told they would have access to were a lie. We were told that there was a driver that could drive them to and from their doctor's appointments but when we tried to schedule a pickup time at 1pm, we were THEN told that the driver quits at 2pm and they'd be on their own in arranging a way home. This is unacceptable and we feel lied to. We've already begun to discuss moving them to a different home if things don't change.

Not impressed with the care, but the entertainment is nice.

They have great entertainment, for those that are well and able, independent. The food is healthy with good quality, and tastes good. The people are friendly, and they are lovely to me, but I feel like they are not as lovely to my loved one. I think that for high needs people, and those who the memory care area, it is not a good place for them. I don't think there is enough individual attention. They say there isn't enough staff, but for what we pay they should have enough staff. The eating area is undignified, they treat mealtime like an inconvenience and a job, and the residents can feel that. When my loved one stopped eating I came to help. What I saw was a lack of initiative for their care. People are refusing to eat and instead of trying alternative methods, they just throw the food away. My loved one didn't want to eat either, but if you converse with her when she is eating, then she will eat, if you offer alternatives for the things she didn't like, and offer encouragement, and offer drinks in between bites, and give them time between to sit a moment. I really think if I hadn't hired extra help she wouldn't be alive today. It costs a fortune for the care, and not to have enough staff is unacceptable. We did find a couple of bruises on her within the first couple of weeks, as well as on others, I think they are in a hurry and just aren't as gentle as they could be. One of the reasons we chose this place is because a lot of communities aren't able to do a two person transfer, and they were, but they have to be reminded. I am not impressed with the care here.

Revera – Colonel By features a strong sense of community in the heart of one of Ottawa South’s oldest and most prestigious neighbourhoods.

The community offers diverse retirement living options, with a choice of services and amenities to suit a wide range of residents. At Colonel By, you’ll find independent living options, assisted Living support and specialty memory care programs for those who require Alzheimer’s and Dementia care. Colonel By’s philosophy of aging in place provides comfort and peace of mind as needs evolve.

Colonel By backs onto the historic Rideau Canal, and is surrounded by beautiful green space. The three-storey stone building includes many inspiring features, from the elegant library, to the bright sunroom, to the lookout lounge that offers a scenic view.

With nearby public transit, the Colonel By retirement community is close to many of Ottawa’s well-known destinations and community services, including tranquil parks, senior-friendly shopping centres, churches and cultural venues.

Colonel By is part of the Revera family, one of North America’s leading and most trusted providers of seniors’ accommodation, care and services since 1961.