Brookdale Topeka - Topeka, KS

We toured this community

We went on a tour here and the staff was nice and helpful. They answered all my questions. We really liked it they specialized in memory care and it was a locked down facility. Dad just wasn't that far along yet. I recommend families tour many communities before they decide on a place.

The Community

The staff recently called me to give me an update about how my dad is doing, for the most part he is good. He is walking much better now. I have noticed, that some of the staff are more attentive than others. I like to see those who are attentive.

This was a nice facility everyone was great.

Good impression

The tour of Brookdale Topeka was positive.The staff was friendly and answered our questions.

Not very knowledgeable!

When we toured, we met with a girl who was second in charge I believe, and she was not very knowledgeable. This option went down very fast for that reason.

Nice Safe Community, My Father is Well

My father seems to have adjusted well to this community. I'am comfortable with his move here . It is a nice , safe community . The staff is pretty good. They have been great with keeping me up to date with information about my father . There are activities offered for the residents, and they even manged to get him to go on one of the outings they have outside the community. They do serve nice well balanced meals. I know he is receiving good care at this community, and I would recommend it.

A Friendly Tour

I had a good tour of this community. They were very kind and friendly to family and myself. The community looked nice and well-kept. The staff I came across was kind and thoughtful. Everyone was very friendly. It was a pleasant experience, but not the community for my mother and her needs.

I would recommend Brookdale Topeka to family and friends!!!

My mom is adjusting well to Brookdale Topeka. She likes that there are plenty of activities to keep her busy and the activities coordinator is a great asset to this community. I have eaten there a few times and I am not real fond of the food. The staff is friendly and keep me informed about my mom's care. The community is kept clean and well maintained. I also want to thank A Place for Mom as without their help we would not have been able to make the right decision for our family.

I have an excellent opinion of Brookdale.

I have an excellent opinion of Brookdale. It has been great for my mom. They prefer that the residents are outside of their room doing things, and not to just stay in their room. This is great because the last place we were wanted them to stay in their rooms. It's a lot more open and friendly. It's a memory unit that is a lock down facility, but to be honest it doesn't feel confining at all when we visit. I don't have any complaints about anything, we are very happy with it.

Nice looking place, very friendly people

Our experience with Brookdale Topeka has been a very good one. It's a very nice looking, clean, well kept community, and they do a great job looking after the people here. The care staff, everyone from the aides up to the nurses, is friendly and caring! We're very happy with the place!

I like it really well so far

I like it really well so far. We don't have any major complaints about food or staff or maintenance or any of that stuff. I would give them a four so far. I don't have a lot to compare it to, this is still a new experience for us.

Such a great feeling!

The experience with Brookdale has been fantastic! I went to about ten other places before deciding on Brookdale and let me just say that this was by far the best experience we had. Dava was the only person out of all the communities that took a personal interest in my Dad and not just make it about money. The fact that they are so knowledgeable on alzheimers and dementia definitely makes the transition easier. Since he's moved we are all at ease knowing he is in good hands and with people he can relate to.

Going fine

Things are going just fine at Brookdale. So far we do not have any complaints about the staff or the facility.

Great Place

The place is perfectly fine. Great staff and great services provided by the staff.

Awesome

Can't find one problem with them, everything is very good

Nice place, but not a good fit for us.

We toured Clare Bridge when we were deciding on a place. It was clean, and I didn't have any concerns like that. There were a couple of things that didn't work for us. One is that they insisted on the residents being out of their room 9 hours a day, and I didn't think that my mother could have handled that. They other thing, was that they had centers, that had things like a sewing machine without a needle, or a workbench with fake tools, and dolls, it was a like a preschool. My mother is not that far along in her dementia, and I think would have felt insulted by that.

A wonderful place for Dad!

From my initial meeting with Dava, and the tour of the facility, I have been wonderfully impressed with Clare Bridge of Topeka. They provide a great facility, but I have been most impressed with the care, compassion, and professionalism of the staff. The move into the facility for my father was seamless, and he was able to see a local doctor for transition of his medical care within a few days of his arrival at Clare Bridge. I could not be more pleased. Thank you Clare Bridge and A Place for Mom (who helped me find Clare Bridge and set up the initial interview).

bad place to go

Partiality expressed to certain favored employees. Family members are employees too and were obviously given special attention and privileges others weren't. The executive director was very young (24) and lacked management experience and perspective. HIred many of her "homies" and former employees from prior facility and she clearly demonstrated partiality to them on all levels! The management team were all women, young & inexperienced which showed immensely as they were constantly changing their practices, policies & ways of dealing with problems & employees. Let some employees get away with some very serious things and others they would grill intensely and terminate for small offenses. Indicated their prejudice of older employees and allowed the "younger set" to get off scott free with many things! Would look the other way & ignore their offenses and wrongdoings. Was very apparent to me that they (management) weren't supportive of older workers and would deliberately make things difficult for them like they were being set up to fail. It looked like it resembled age discrimination practices!

Advice to Senior Management – Grow up, mature, take some classes in management, watch age discrimination carefully, don't treat others differently. Learn to be fair and attempt to support any employee in need of counsel or add'l training instead of alienating them and making them feel as if they aren't valuable just because they are different or do things in different ways. Learn to value what all bring to the table regardless of personality, age and creativity in problem solving. You're too narrow, particular, judgmental, impatient, partial and very poor in your management skills. You would try this plan, then this plan and just keep changing things constantly b/c you really exemplified you didn't know what you were doing!! Most of us talked about how insecure your management seemed as you always tried new things w/o good results and it was very confusing to work in that environment especially since your communication skills were poor too. This creates lots of problems in the workplace and lots of innocent helpless lives (the seniors) are at stake and they pay YOU very good money to stay there to take this style of management.

Clare Bridge Cottage provides an intimate, home-like setting with programming and services designed specifically for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or other memory impairments. Unique community features such as walking paths to help residents stay independent and find their way. Twenty-four hour trained associates work closely with each resident to provide personal assistance that promotes independence, dignity and choice. Life Enrichment Program enables residents to participate in activities that can enhance self-esteem and maximize quality of life. Services offered at Clare Bridge Cottage include assistance with personal care, three meals and snacks each day, weekly laundry and housekeeping along with stimulating Life Enrichment Programs. Clare Bridge Cottage offers private and companion suites.
Special Features
- Person Centered Philosophy
- Expertise and experience in Dementia Care
- Supportive, purpose built – providing signature programming
- Enjoyable Dining atmosphere with socialization and elegance
- Memory care education for associates and family members