Brookdale Olympia West - Olympia, WA

worried about the old man

After visiting the Brookdale Olympia west, I was very impressed with the friendly staff, just about everything they had to offer, but was VERY turned off by the older gentleman sitting in a wheelchair in a hallway that smelled of ammonia-urine. You could smell him before you got close to him which really upset me. I know it takes more then a day for urine to get that ammonia smell, so what was up with that? Very upset over that, and when we got outside, we both agreed that was not a good thing.

Unorganized activities and a high turnover rate

This memory care facility is beautifully designed and structurally appealing. However, while my wife was there, the organization of how the facility was structured was not ideal. They don’t attempt to separate the highly functioning residents from the more advanced residents, which made it difficult for my wife to easily interact with the higher functioning people. She had specific dietary needs that they tried to accommodate and I would bring in some specialty items for her use. There were a few activities available as well, but they didn’t appear to differentiate between the different needs of the residents. This community wasn’t ideal for my wife’s needs, however it might be the right fit for an individual that isn’t as highly functioning.

Options available for care

we toured this community for the care for my mom. We wanted a community closer to home. The staff was very attentive and kind.We did like the menu and the list of things for my mom to participate. The environment is nice and we would suggest that other families tour the community for a loved one.

Brookdale is perfect

No complaints at all, I would recommend this to all friends. Our experience here has been something out of a novel. I love Brookdale Olympia west.

Dementia Care Is Lacking

The biggest problem with Brookdale Olympia West is that they need to understand the people with dementia and care for them better. It is suppose to be a dementia home, but they do not how to deal with those type of residents.

Too few care providers to care appropriately

I was very impressed with the facility and staff during the initial visit. The facility is beautiful and the staff was very friendly.
Once my father moved in it became very apparent that due to a lack of care staff, patient's needs were [removed]. Since my father has dementia and the staff to patient ratio are is too high [removed]. Some of the care staff really want to do a good job but there just are not enough of them to adequately care for a population with dementia. I met with the director on a weekly basis to review the concerns that I had each time I would visit my father. She was professional and listened but nothing changed.
I moved him out within one month.
Beautiful facility but lacking enough hands on care providers to respectfully care for a population who have dementia.

My Loved One Likes It

From the initial contact we had, they set up a meeting the next morning. We spent a day there and talked to the staff members and they told us what the policies were and asked us what we were looking for and it was very thorough and professional. The best thing about it is that from the first day she was there she has not been upset. She's been calm and to the best of my knowledge nothing has changed in that regard.

They don't provide the services they promise

When we first took a tour there, they showed us all the amenities, and we wanted to make sure that my mom could have her dog, coffee when she wanted, and be able to talk to people.

We visited her the next day unannounced, and found her sitting alone in the dining room. We went to take the dog for a walk, and the door was locked.

They had said they have events, but they have none right now, because they lost their events coordinator.

They had assured us that she would always sit with others at the table. Noone came to get her for dinner, and noone had any idea where she sat yesterday, because noone working that night worked the night before. At the table where she had sat the day before, there were no sits. The only vacant seat was with someone with severe dementia, so she couldn't talk to him.

We were promised my mother can get coffee when she wants, but when we asked for a cup of coffee for her for dinner I was told we never have coffee at dinner.

I signed her out to go get coffee, and when we came back noone had missed her. We signed her out for good at 9:30 that night, and noone missed her when it was time to give her medicine the next morning.

I am really impressed, I am really happy.

I am really impressed, I am really happy. The only thing that was disheartening for me is we had to sign early and pay for time we weren't using, in order to get the special price. It's clean and everyone is friendly, they are really attentive. The only complaint I get about the food is that she doesn't get enough dessert. I am really impressed with all the programs and activities they get them involved with. I picked them because of the attitude I got from the staff, they were probably the best we saw, and the activities.

They have been great.

They have been great. They have been doing a good job putting my loved one on a healthy diet. They have been so helpful and so nice, and it matters not who I talk to. They communicate with me about changes to the care, and even provide it in writing if I need it. It's clean and nice and the food always smells good. They don't seem to be in it for the money, they really seem to care.

It was a pleasure meeting director. W...

It was a pleasure meeting director. We appreciate the time the took to listen to our needs and what Clare Bridge brings for their clients. The staff is top level, clean and a variety of interests for clients.

At Clare Bridge of Olympia we know that memory losses due to Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia are progressive and residents' needs are continually changing. That’s why we provide balance in our residents' capabilities, personalities, and preferences to create daily routines that enhance their spirits and increase their sense of purpose. We believe the amount of satisfaction our Alzheimer’s and dementia care residents receive from the tasks that fill their days goes a long way to maintaining their sense of purpose and overall satisfaction with life. An integral part of this is our promise to encourage each resident to find Daily Moments of Success. To help our residents achieve these moments, our associates receive the tools and training needed in such key areas as specialized dining and the ongoing monitoring of healthcare and behavioral needs, to name a few.

We provide Alzheimer’s and dementia care residents with the lifestyle, housing, and services they need in comfortable surroundings combined with the amenities, programs, and care to help stimulate recognition, recall, and wellness in a safe environment. Through years of caring for individuals with dementia, our professional care staff has learned to create optimal surroundings and approaches to care. Familiar environments that our residents have enjoyed throughout their lives are recreated to help them feel reassured and comfortable. The Alzheimer’s and dementia care programs at Clare Bridge are built to embrace, not restrict our residents' desire to wander and to provide a sense of belonging.