Brookdale Sunrise - Sunrise, FL

Brookdale Sunrise - Sunrise, FL has yet not published prices.

Facility was clean and lively. Surrounded by lots of trees and walk ways for those residents who are able to move around and enjoy the outdoors. Staff was friendly and professional. Nice facility, high on my list as the selected future home for my mother...

Needs Improvement With The Cleanliness

This is not a community I would feel comfortable placing my mother in. The cleanliness of the community needs major improvements. The lady that gave me my tour was kind, and sweet. However from what I was shown the community has a bad odor lingering around it. There was mold in the room they showed me. It was really dark, and not the community for my mother, and her needs.

I think they are doing the best they can with what they have.

I think that they need more help, especially on the weekends, it would be nice if they were more visible, walking the halls and such. The place is immaculate the food is very good. The staff is very caring, and responsive. I think they are doing the best they can with what they have. I have been particularly happy with, [Removed], the receptionist, [Removed], they are all great! They are really caring and responsive. The bathrooms downstairs are in desperate need of upgrading, and updating. The activities therapist [Removed] is really good too, and Jennifer on the closed unit is Spectacular.

I took a tour!

The Brookdale Sunrise was nice and the people were all friendly, but it did not compare aesthetically to the community I ended up choosing.

Pretty Good Tour

We toured this community for my mother in law, and her needs. It was a nice tour overall. The community looked well-kept, and clean. Everyone was kind to my family and I. Unfortunately my mother in law didn't feel this was the place for her.

Very disappointing

It was incredibly dirty and depressing. Every area I toured including the reception area was visably dirty. Ceiling lights were burned out in several of the main areas. I couldnt imagine leaving my parent there.

Great Complex!!

I have no complaints about the tour I took of this community. The staff where very welcoming and very professional as well as on time for our appointment. They offered a great activity program and all of the residents seemed to be enjoyed themselves. It was just not the right fit for myself.

Above and Beyond!!

Meals are great they are tasty and most importantly healthy. All of the staff that work there are great they are attentive and communicate well. I feel that my grandmother is in a safe place with caring staff. I would recommend the Brookdale Sunrise to family and friends their services have been above and beyond.

We have not had a great experience so far at Brookdale Sunrise.

This community has a great reputation but we have had some issues with her receiving her medication. Her medication cannot be refilled until she sees a doctor. We changed her insurance so she could see the doctors that work through there and after a couple months she has not seen one. She is not getting her blood pressure checked. I am trying to work with the director to correct this issue. I hope she can stay here but we are not sure.

Good

I had a good experience with Brookdale. In times of challenges with my father they were very helpful and understanding. Needless to say, the staff went out of their way to make my entire family comfortable with a very difficult decision. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Lakisha. She is a great asset to the organization.

My Experience at Brookdale Sunrise

They tried very hard to be accommodating during an emotionally trying time. The physical space was a bit tired but they are in the process of updating. The administrators, nursing staff and health care staff were very helpful and attentive. As of right now, I am comfortable with the care being provided to my stepdad. He is clean, shaven, well fed and seems to have adjusted.

A GREAT PLACE FOR DADDY! AT SUNRISE, FL

December 2015 A place for Daddy AT Brookdale, Sunrise, fl. My father 94yrs was an independent person. His only need was a cane to walk, wheel chair and hearing aids. after a long search my family and I went to the facility at Sunrise, FL and we like what we saw. WHAT I LIKE Most; The Friendly staff. A nice looking dining facility. nice stylish furniture, game room, library and movie room. Overall a Nice place to leave. A comfortable private room with new carpets and fresh paint. A private bathroom with safety equipment and screen patio. Overall the facility looks nice, At the time we were moving, they were remodeling the inside of the buildings with new paint and decorations. WHAT I Don't like. the back part entrance for the moving companies was dirty with oil and dead roaches next to one of the entrance of the dining facility. Door open 24 hrs.No security guards during the day and night. No RN during the night shift and one CNA assigned to the whole floor during night shift and week ends. The building consist of 4 floors with a Gran total of 200 patients. MY RECOMMENDATION; Need more personnel. RN's, CNA'S, maintenance personnel and another activity director. Bilingual than can perform differents activities and cultural events. to keep the patients alert and happy. My father payed the month of December in advance . He stay in the bedroom only two days. The second night he start having pain in his leg call the RN ,but she never shows up and next day we took him to the hosp and he never came back to Brookdale. He passed on Dec 23,2015 and now he is with GOD. RIP!

I found the staff and administrators extremely friendly and very willing to accomodate my Dad's needs.

Nice place overall, memory care a bit understaffed

Our experience with Brookdale Sunrise has been somewhat mixed, but after touring a few communities in the area it is definitely the nicest that I saw. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff are friendly and helpful for the most part. However, I do think they are a bit understaffed in the memory care section.

I liked the place but did not like the quad format living options and the private one bedrooms have a waitlist.

Friendly, caring staff

Overall we are pleased with how things have turned out at Brookdale Sunrise! It isn't the fanciest looking place that I saw, but the community is clean and well kept, and it has a comfortable friendly atmosphere. I'm very impressed with the staff, they are friendly, and very reliable. One of my big concerns was medication management, and I like that they seem to be very attentive and detail oriented, as well as having a nurses on-site nearly 24/7. The residents here are friendly and social, and the common areas are always bustling. Mom seems to have settled in well, and says she is really enjoying herself!

Mom has been there a month and a half.

My Mom has been there for about a month and a half.

The people are really nice, and overall I am happy with our choice. The food is good, which is very important to my Mom. My Mom is slow to warm up, and so she has not done a lot of activities, but the staff encourages her none the less. When I visit, I alway feel welcomed by the staff and the residents who I see on the way to her room. I love it that there are so many residents with pets.

Nice place.

The admin staff is friendly and helpful with what you will need and how other resources are available to help. Recently Emeritus sold to Brookdale. Brookdale appears to be much more responsive to complaints and/or suggestions for the comfort of the elderly residents.

Just okay, hoping it gets better.

Emeritus staff promised some things prior to our family member moving in that were not carried out. Such as, cleaning and re-screening the common patio/porch area. It took some serious prodding to get the vertical blinds in the room fixed, the bathroom repainted and a few other odds and ends. Recently Emeritus sold to Brookdale. Brookdale appears to be much more responsive to complaints and/or suggestions for the comfort of the elderly residents. Time will tell.

A decent place, bright and light

The overall appearance is nice, but, the rooms can use some work, some new paint, carpets need to be cleaned
For the most part, the nursing staff is helpful, but, not above and beyond, not going to go out of their way to help with anything that isn't in their responsiblities
The aides are nice for the most part, some are a little rough and tough, but, some are very friendly and make their stay nice.

just awful

We placed mother/mother-in-law there. It has just been over a month, and we know we have made a huge mistake. When I asked to see how the life alert beeper she wears works,.... surprise!!!! It didn't. Then it was like, "well, you must have left with her, and it kicked her necklace offline." So maybe tell people that... And until I threatened to call the licensing board, we could not get heat in her room (when it was in the low 40's). The blinds still have not been repaired and it took us two weeks to get the TV working.
We choose this place over the others bc of the sewing room, and the fact, they made dolls and sent them to children in need. The sewing room is now a closet, and the person in charge of the dolls is gone. We are now looking to make a change.

Look elsewhere to place your loved one

My cousin has dementia and has been living in this facility for about 1 1/2 years. Her son placed her here for his own selfish reasons. He and all my cousins relatives live in NY state, more than 1000 miles away, all on retirement incomes and cannot visit cousin more than once a year. Cousin has no nearby advocate which is sorely needed if you reside in this facility. She needs hearing aid battery replacement which staff DOES NOT do. Her clothing has her name on it but is never returned to her closet upon laundering. Her bed is often missing sheets. [removed] Closet doors were off track, threatening to collapse on cousin. Hole in bathroom wall. One wash cloth for two residents in a room. Not enough staff to help with any situation. Find a different facility for your loved one!!!

I toured the Emeritus, it wasn't a good place.

I toured the Emeritus, it wasn't a good place. It would be fine if the people on the dementia side who I interviewed with, had taken the time to sit face to face with me. Instead we walked along with my loved one following behind me, while we asked questions. The place was worn out and dirty. The hallways and the grounds were dirty, there was trash lying all around. There were not enough caregivers to take care of people one the memory side. They had a run down patio, that the residents were not allowed to go out on. They had very little, if any activities provided.

It's going pretty well

It's going pretty well, it's very clean and the staff is friendly. Some things have to be worked out because it's the beginning, making sure all the little things get in the care plan. When we were first looking we liked the location, and we were comfortable and they had dementia care which was a plus. Those are some of the reasons we chose it.

Best Place for MY MOM

Jennie and Phil are the greatest. They helped me out immensely in my darkest hour.

I really want to say they go above and beyond for the older people and their caregivers.

It's the best place we found for the price.

It's the best place we found for the price. They are not always so quick to respond to needs or concerns. We haven't gotten too many complaints, just between the communication with the staff, they don't seem to know all that is going on. If they would call me with an incident and I asked question they weren't able to answer all my questions. She seems to be in better spirits now.

Our entire family is very pleased with the care & treatment.

I am very pleased with the care my mother is receiving, and the prompt response to incidents that have occurred, because of her mental state. So far everyone has been very attentive and caring with her, and she is also pleased with the facility and the staff.

One bedroom unit not bad. ...

One bedroom unit not bad. Dining room looked ok. Too many people just sitting around in the small lobby. They do have transportation to doctors and other locations, even for wheel chair bound. Everyone gets a call pendant around their neck. There is an initial buy in in order to live at this facility.

$3,000/mo reviews genrally ...

$3,000/mo reviews genrally negative at Senior Advisor.com

So far, this place is fine...

So far, this place is fine. The only main problem we're having with them is that they don't return phone calls to family. They use the excuse that their phone systems don't work, but that cannot possibly be true for every time we call. The communication was fine before my loved one moved in, and now, we can't get any calls returned.

seemed very lovely but too ...

seemed very lovely but too big for my loved one to navigate - ladies room could have been cleaner (only drawback I saw)

It wasn't as clean as where she is now...

It wasn't as clean as where she is now, had the smell of urine. They were cooperative when making the transfer, but the cleanliness was lacking. They would have entertainment. There were times when was alone and she couldn't make it to the bathroom and couldn't make it. The food was ok. A couple of times she called for help and had to wait.

Not a Good First Impression

The person welcoming us was very nice, she would get a five but the rest of the place, if I'm being generous, is a two. It didn't have the separate apartment, and that wasn't going to work for us. We wanted my aunt to have her own room, and there was none of that. It seemed more like a nursing home. There were all these people in wheelchairs sitting at the front of the facility, and that is not a good first impression. It was old.

Dorm Style Living

Older facility. What turned us off was that it was more like dorm style living, with a common area and then four rooms attached to it so that four individuals shared a living room and a small kitchenette area. We weren't sure dad would like that, and he wasn't really warm to the idea, though personally I feel that that may help with socialization. The units were co-ed, but at that age you don't worry about it!

Not Impressed

It was just depressing and smelled like urine. I was not very impressed, even though I had a girlfriend recommend me there.

Mom's Happy

Because she has Alzheimer's and COPD and chronic bronchitis and chronic phuemonia, I needed a facility to accommodate those needs, so that as she progressed with the Alzheimer's I wouldn't have to look for a whole new facility to accommodate her needs. Emeritus allowed her to move within the same facility to make life a little easier. That is really the reason why I picked them. There are very few facilities that have different stages for people who have Alzheimer's. Also, they have a rehab facility so my mother has been able to do rehab right on the premises. She seems to be happy on the days that I speak to her, but there's little things that I feel that they lack on. When trying to get the Veteran's Benefits processed, I had to call them five times before they finally mailed it. That was a little bit too much, but eventually they got it done and they did apologize. The other issue that I have is that the screen is ripped in her room, and they have been saying since August that they would fix it. Opposite of that, any time that my mother is sick, I get a phone call, which is great. If I had to pick between getting a screen fixed or knowing that she is being taken care of, I am glad to know that she is being well taken care of.

It is a large facility, they have about 150 patients. At Emeritus the patients wear on their wrist an alarm or a button so that people can come and see what the problem is. All the residents have one. There is also one in the bathroom. She had an incident where she got very short of breath making her bed, and when she realized that she was in distress, no one was coming. I know that when you are distressed like that, a couple of seconds feels like hours, so I really don't know how long it was. I was annoyed initially. I left a message for the director asking if there is a problem with her alert button, and she didn't call me back to say that they have replaced it. Being that this is the first time that anyone of my generation has had to put a parent into a facility, this is all new to us. I don't know if this is normal or if it's what is supposed to be going on. There are a couple difference that I noticed from the facilities that I visited on Long Island, for example, it's $3000 for level one care in assisted living, which is considerably cheaper. They allow pets. It also seems like there are a lot more people in scooters, and I have no idea why that it. What matters is that my mom is happy there, and I think that she is.

Mixed Review

I haven't been there yet, but my step mom says that everything is wonderful. They are taking good care of her and they seem to be accommodating. I don't think they do as well with communication, I have asked them to communicate and I don't see them doing that. It seems like they underestimated her care when they evaluated her in the hospital, and within the first week or so they raised the care charges, but Emeritus still seemed to fit best with our budget.

Sad and Depressing

We walked in the lobby and it was linoleum and not very pretty. There was a weird smell. Didn't look like a country club, and I guess we were spoiled from the other places we looked at! We wanted the place they were spending their last years to be warm, and Emeritus at Springtree was filled with people in wheelchairs that looked so sad and depressing. Didn't want mom here at all. We didn't even meet the staff, just appearance and grounds was enough.

Not A Good Experience

The staff to patient ratio was very low. They sold it really well but my mom fell off the bed a couple times and it took them a while to get to her. She did not do well in there. We pulled her out and then three weeks after we pulled her out she passed away. She needed help feeding herself but my dad went to make sure she got fed. They raised the rent without telling us and she wasn't getting the care she needed. I was basically paying for room and board. She didn't participate in the activities. I think I didn't ask the right questions when I toured and it turned out to be the wrong place for her.

Older Crowd

I thought everyone was too old there. Everybody was in wheelchairs. It was very pretty and clean but I just felt the people there were really old so my sister-in-law wouldn't have fit in there because she's only in her seventies. They recommended a sister property of theirs. They said it would be a much younger crowd and they were right. That was helpful.

This place was depressing t...

This place was depressing to see.

Not too clean upon entering...

Not too clean upon entering the lobby, does not even give a clean appearance inside. very dismal, Plus the fact they require $5,000.00 upon signing a contract. Definetly this is not the place for me.

Nice place. The staff member who help...

Nice place. The staff member who helped us is amazing.

Our peaceful setting, restaurant style dining experience, activities and beautiful setting combine to create a wonderful living environment every day. Our genuine caring staff, home style meals, daily activities add to our residents' experience. They will tell you they appreciate all the options while living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.

Amenities and Services
• Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
• Medication management
• Dining assistance and special diets
• Assistance with reminders and redirection
• Escorts and assistance with walking
• Emergency response call system