Brookdale North Spokane - Spokane, WA

Too Busy

I toured Brookdale while looking at options for my mother, and while it is a very nice community, I found that it was too big and busy for my mother. I felt that she would prefer a smaller place with more of a homey comfort, and I was afraid she’d get lost in Brookdale.

Not the right fit

We toured the Brookdale North Spokane. It seemed like a nice community. When we entered the front lobby it reminded me of a hotel. It wasn't as inviting as what we were looking for.

The facility was fine. It was clean and the people friendly. But it felt more like a nursing home. The food looked less than exciting. We are looking for something more vibrant and alive for my father and his wife.

Large community!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken of this community. The staff were all very friendly and made sure to give my loved one and lots of great information on everything they had to offer as well as answer any questions we had for them. The facility was very well maintained and the apartments were kept clean for all of the residents. It was just a large community and we wanted something small for my mother.

Tour for love ones

We toured this community for the care of my father. This was a nice tour and the staff was nice and pleasant. They offer the variety of health meals on the menu. The activities would have been helpful for my father. We would recommend families tour this community for care for a loved one.

A bigger community for care

We toured this community for care. I liked the staff who were friendly and able to assist us. This is a bigger community and has several floors. The meals seemed to be appealing. They offer a variety of activities. We would recommend this community to other families.

We Are Seeing It Go Well

We picked this community because it was the most convenient for all of my mom's 5 kids. She has been fine as a resident. The community is kept clean with good activities planned out. She is getting good meals and all has been covered for her care. She gets plenty of visits since she is close to us.

Not a steady rate...

When I toured Brookdale, I got the impression that they tell you the lowest price to get you in the door and then it goes up. Everything is a la carte. The one good thing I got out of the tour was I got a list of movers. I ended up with good information. The facility was just too large, there was no way she could have made it to the dining room from the rooms they had available.

So far, so good

It's difficult to rate the facility since Mom hasn't moved in yet. So far, we're impressed with the staff and their helpfulness.

Long hallways!

The Brookdale Noth was nice, the lady that showed us around was friendly. The thing I did not like was the long hallways to the rooms, I feel that my mother would have gotten lost easily.

They gave us a tour right at lunchtime with no notice, and everything looked clean and well maintained. Residents appeared confident and happy in their environment and engaged freely with our tour guide throughout the hour. Room is clean, safe, comfortable and easy to move through.

Friendly Staff!!

My mother and I enjoyed our tour of this community. The staff where very friendly and had lots of great information to give us about there facility. Everything seemed very well maintained and was kept nice and clean for all of the residents. They had a spacious common and dinning room area that seemed to fit everyone comfortably. My mom just did not like that this was a multilevel complex.

Nice Community

I toured this community. It felt like a smaller community and my father wanted a large community. I was not able to see the memory care unit at the time of the tour. I did like the staff who were able to answer all of our questions. They do offer activities to everyone who is able to participate. I think families would like the care that is given here.

We Love Brookdale

I am sad to see the bad reviews. My mom has been there for a couple years and we couldnt be happier. The staff is so loving and caring. Things we a little rough in the beginning, but have really taken a turn for the best. We are very happy with Brookdale North Spokane

Outstanding Staff

My loved one has really enjoyed her self since she made the move into this community, the staff and residents have all taken extra time to get know my grandmother and make sure she is comfortable in her new living environment. The meals are always healthy with great proportions. I overall have no complaints.

Good place turns into BIG disappointment

My family moved my aunt into the cottages after a tour was given and we felt it was a good place for her with her progressing dimentia. Family was told of the Clairbridge pro game which we read about in the Brookdale.com website. It states they do 6 programs a day and tells about each. This NEVER happens. Residents sit around in the living area or their bedroom and do nothing! It also states that the caregivers are all trained in Clairbridge. The ones we spoke with are not. Caregivers seem tired and often only one on shift when two are required. A dangerous situation. They don't have all have training. A very disappointing reality. I also see where this facility has been turned into the state numerous time. The administrator doesn't seem to be aware of most of the issues. The nurses aren't don't give th care needed for a memory patient. Do your homework before choosing this facility.

Good tour....Awful when you move in!!

We had a relative who needed memory care so we took the tour at Brookdale. They showed us the cottages and they seemed really good. We were told of 2 caregivers to 12 residents. We we shown a calendar of daily activities. They spoke of bbq's in the enclosed courtyard as well as flower planting and so on. We moved our relative in and...it was awful!! Often there is only one staff in the cottage and when they are helping someone everyone else is out of luck. The caregivers are overworked ...they do caregiving which is labor intensive in a memory unit as you have to do showers and moving residents to chairs and various other needs they have as well as laundry and serving and preparing dinner plates. Impossible for them. Many times they are pulling double shifts and working alone. Administrator never calls back. Safety pull cords don't work. They have been turned into the state numerous times I have found in out. PLEASE spend some time there before you move a loved one into this facility!!!!

Good tour....Awful when you move in!!

Seems good at first but look close...

I have a relative at Brookdale. When we were given the tour before relative moved in it seemed great. We needed memory care so we had a tour of the cottages. They told us 2 caregivers for 12 residents at all times. They spoke of all the activities and in summer the outside bbq and summer activities. It seemed great . Then my relative was moved in... It went from bad to worse. They had a calendar with activities and NONE of them except once a month singing every happened. Residients just sat in chairs all day. Often there is only 1 caregiver to 12 residents so if the caregiver is busy with a resident the others are out of luck!
The staff is not well trained and the situations that occur and dangerous . There is also a lot of neglect of residents!!
Many of the safety features do not work such as the pull cords. Staff is also very overworked and at times often doing double shifts resulting in very tired worker.
Administrator doesn't return calls. Think long and hard before you put a loved one in this facility. Spend some time there and don't beleive everything they say on your tour. My relative is soon to move out of this facility

A break in the case

After moving my father into Brookdale I couldn't be happier. I really like the facility and couldn't be happier with the place. My mother said The staff is really patient with my father and understanding I said they are kinda like angels. I have no complaints they have been really good. My father can be difficult at times, but the staff is really patient with him and understanding of my concerns they would check it out with no problem. I know he is being very well taken care of. My Senior Living Advisor with A Place For Mom was extremely helpful. Monica, she was a break in the case and helped us re-gain control of everything.

Very Friendly Place

They are a very friendly place. They are very cordial with you and very caring with the residents. They seem to take an interest in them and they care about what the residents eat, so the food seems to be well.

smooth and easy

The transition process was very smooth and easy. There were no headaches to deal with. Everything was very stress-free and the whole process since getting them moved in has gone very good as well. I would recommend Brookdale Place at NorthPointe.

nice place

The loved one of mine that is going to live there at Brookdale Place at NorthPointe has not checked in yet so much remains to be seen, but based on what I have been able to gather so far I believe it is going to be great. It is a very nice facility with friendly staff.

Just not nice anymore

My relative lives there but thing have changed for the worse over the past six months or so. There have been 3 or 4 administrators in the past 6 months and the current one is unpleasant. The billing clerk is unpleasant as well. Looks like they are attempting to cut back on protein at meals and the food is not tasty. It looks to me like they are cutting staff back and not adequately training the staff. I think the place is going downhill and I'm probably going to move my relative. Just not nice anymore.

Brookdale did a fine job.

Brookdale did a fine job. There was never a concern with the cleanliness, or the staff. They were responsive and attentive. My loved one had an injury and just turned out to need more care than we thought originally so this turned out not to be the best fit. But that was in no way because of the community, they were great!

Mom is in a good place

I think they have been really trained to work both with the clients as well as the families to understand how to process the disease. They know when to call me when mom is having a tough time. Mom has been happy there and is in a good safe place.

It has been mostly a nightmare.

Some are really friendly some are not. They can't stand the food, I think it's how it's being cooked, and they run out of things like ketchup and syrup and ribs even, and the portions are tiny. The marketing director is hard to get in touch with about concerns. One of the reasons I chose them was because of the initial concern they showed. We also liked the location, we liked the size of the bathtubs. The heater/air conditioner doesn't work properly, and it hasn't been fixed. The care itself is lacking, and the staff needs better training. There has been trouble with the bills. They apparently changed management about 6 months ago and things have gone downhill since, from what I hear. When we push the buzzer it takes 30-45 minutes to respond. Some of these things could just be the assisted living thing, not the community, itself. Communication would be helpful, there were things that I didn't know, we would need, like toilet paper, shower curtains, those kinds of things. I even asked about a few of those and they told me no I would not need them, at first.

Not so good.

The facility has changed hands and is now owned by Brookdale. It's too bad. The administration bottom line is money. I've had a parent there for several years... And we moved out. Billing errors, lack of caregivers, overworked staff combine for a dangerous situation. State has been in several time. Do your homework before you move here.

A short temporary stay, but they did a good job.

This was a three week respite stay. They were right in the middle of the transition. The only thing that ever happened was that late at night he pushed the button, and I noticed it emits a high pitched tone, and it only goes off for 15 minutes. If you want something and you push the button it's supposed to take 5-7 minutes. Then they let me know they had a phone number to get to someone at night, that went straight to a cell phone, some how this tip was missed in the communication, but made sense. The quality of the food there is top, it's good food, they have a chef, it's not a hot dog or grilled cheese, it's more like a choice between beef tips or cabbage rolls, so much more of a dining experience.

We ended up wasting a lot of money he...

We ended up wasting a lot of money here. They underwent new management while my loved one was here. The food definitely went downhill, but I guess it was still okay. However, their care response time was not fast enough, and it was time to look at other options. This is definitely for someone who has a lot of money.

We are very happy, and my loved one is very happy.

We are very happy, and my loved one is very happy. They check in on him often, which is great! Our only concern or issue I guess, is that if he isn't feeling good and can't make it down to the dining room they will charge us to bring up a sandwich.

It's clean. We had some troubles with...

It's clean. We had some troubles with the billing situation. There were some discrepencies as far as honoring promotion prices. Other than that, it's been going pretty well. It was in a prime location for our family, and our loved one enjoys the food!

It WAS an excellent community.

This WAS an excellent place until the new ownership change last spring. Significant lack of administrative and medical leadership or accountability. Calls never returned. Marginal follow through. Huge staff turnover and minimal coverage. (A few excellent staff remained) .Medication errors. No responses from the corporate level in resolving local issues. This facility went from an all inclusive rate system based on levels of care, to itemization for every move the staff made- resulting in care charges that doubled and there have always been room rent increases each year.

Very nice

We looked at this place a lot before moving Mom there. She says she likes it a lot and the caregivers are very nice. The facility has very nice apartment-style assisted living rooms. Great view windows from all rooms. New enough to look modern and up to date. The staff are really outstanding in my opinion. Every resident has a call button they wear that when they push, the staff show up promptly. The folks at the front desk are observant about who comes and goes, knows each resident by name. The activities director Elaine is outstanding. They have had some ownership and leadership changes but they are not affecting quality of care with the staff. Dining room is very nice but they could upscale the chef's training just a bit.

Overall, great place, some transition problems

The activities don't really apply because my father doesn't particiapte in anything, he's deaf and just can't socialize very well. They're trying to get him to go on some of their outings where they're gone an hour and a half to sightseeing trips; so we're trying to talk him into that. I would guess the food's a 4, he really liked it at first but now he says he's bored because it's the same thing, he says they can't cook fish but other than that it's good. This was the first one we went to and we really liked it so we canceled the other tour we had lined up. Unfortunately, dad went in there at the time that they were changing corporate owners and so the transition as far as communication hasn't been very good. i can leave messages and I don't get call backs or anything but the fact that I'm in there a lot, they do make the effort to answer my questions and apologize. That's my only problem right now and I know it's because of the change in ownership, like their bookkeeping, I don't know if that's squared away yet but the past 3 months they didn't get us the right bill. They're aware of th fact that it's wrong and they fix it, I think they were understaffed for awhile so that was a problem too. I think it's going to be fine, overall it's a great, great place. My dad is flourishing, he's gaining weight despite the food being boring and I'm very happy with it.

Small units, even the 2 bdr...

Small units, even the 2 bdrms. 1 lrg bth, no 2 baths. No kitchens. Dirty entry collumns. Not for Mom.

Very nice place like Harbor Crest, bu...

Very nice place like Harbor Crest, but much smaller scale. Apt have no stove/oven. Only a few had balcony. Pets welcome. Incredible memory ward, private one to ea.bedroom. Awesome staff. 6 patients to one caretaker.

Very friendly and cozy apt.

Very friendly and cozy apt.

Good Alzheimers unit in Arbor House.

Good Alzheimers unit in Arbor House.

It was very nice, but I didn't get th...

It was very nice, but I didn't get the urge to move my parents here.

Brookdale Place at NorthPointe provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.