Atria Burlingame - Burlingame, CA

Beautiful facility. Too pricy

Attentive, Caring Staff

Atria has been great so far. The staff are very attentive and caring. They really do care for the residents there. The food is not bad at all, and my loved one enjoys it. He is also really enjoying participating in the creative writing workshops and the exercise classes there. It's a very clean, vibrant community, and I'd recommend it to others.

Very nice setup and community

Responsive and Caring

So far my mom is settling in quite nicely at the Atria Burlingame. It is a clean and well-kept community. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. They are very welcoming to our family members when we come to visit. The staff is very friendly and attentive to my mom's care needs. I have dined there with my mom and the food is reasonably good. I know they have activities available for the residents. I have not witnessed first hand if mom is engaging in them. We chose this community because the staff is very responsive and caring. I would recommend this community to others.

Constient Of Sister Properties

This community is very similar to the sister property in Daly City. The property was very clean and maintained. The staff was friendly and kind. The rooms were very nice but again on the smaller size.

Amazing staff!

My loved one's stay at this Atria location went pretty well! Though we faced a lot of personal turmoil, Atria's staff did a great job at keeping the family calm. The facility is very nice and dedicated to their residents.

A Visit For A Tour

I was able to look at this community. My tour guide did a good job and answered my questions. I did not see a lot of different residents for my mom to socialize with. The community is a nice and clean place.

Atria Burlingame is a clean energetic community!!

Dad is still getting adjusted to living at this community. The staff are really good and attentive to him. Dad is not crazy about the food. This is a smaller cozier community. I would recommend this community.

Kate Vance

Thanks for being a part of the Atria family and for reaching out – glad to hear you are happy with the care your father is receiving! We welcome you and your dad to attend our monthly ‘Food for Thought’ meetings, which are held specifically to discuss our residents' dining preferences. If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to email me any time at [removed].

Sister

My sister is staying at this community and she is very pleased and doing well with the community. She says the staff have been amazing and the community itself is very nice. My sister seems to like the food and says its prepared well. As far as I know my sister has having an amazing experience and has nothing but positive things to say. I would recommend this community

Worst place ever!!

The worst place you can send a loved one....they lie about every thing. Do not have enough help, or help is lacking all kinds of training. The top people have left and the place is dirty and stinky.
Ir
T is a discrase of how the place is run!!

Katy Miller

Hi, Nancy. You’re comments are concerning to us – we’d like to hear more about your experiences so we can help. Please reach out to us at [removed].

Tricia reflects the compassion and responsiveness we want from a community staff. But for the costs comparable to others, the building and facilities seem quite dated.

2 stars

The rooms are very small and dated. The person that toured us was not very good. I felt she was very weak as a director. The residents did seem happy. I can't rate the value or the care services because I didn't get into that during my tour. It is not applicable.

Kate Vance

Thank you for visiting our community. If you're comfortable sharing with us, we'd like to hear more about your feedback for how we can enhance our tour experience. If you're open to continuing the conversation, please connect with us at [removed].

Very clean and visually pleasing, the care has had some issues.

We were impressed with the cleanliness and the visual setting. The food is probably about a 2. The most troublesome aspect is the caregiving. There seems to be a little bit of avoidance. They seem less concerned with overall caregiving, they are more concerned with doing their task and getting things done. They are always on their walkie talkie, and it's seems that that's how they do all of their caregiving. It's tough to figure out the right way to confront issues, without causing more issues. There seems to be a lack of outreach to the families when it comes to decision making. A lot of the caregivers seem young and they are being directed from their walkie talkies, and I can't help but think the residents would maybe be better served if those on the other side of the walkie talkies were doing the caregiving.

Safe and Secure

We have two loved ones at the Atria Burlingame. My mother and my husband stay here. They provide a solid care and partnership for my loved ones. Otherwise, I would be distraught and could not leave them there. We are very happy with the overall services. Staff is professional and caring. Food is great. It really is a partnership.

NOT ALL THE SHINES IS GOLD !

I brought my father to Atria in Burlingame for respite care for a week, while I went on vacation. I thought the place was elegant, it smelled great the Seniors that lived in the bottom floor seemed happy. I liked that they had a person in the reception area and the rooms gave the appearance you were staying at a first class hotel, very impressive indeed. They also said they do laundry once a week. I loved that they promised activities and that they had nice comfy chairs in the living room area. The Executive Director and the Community business director both very professional. Unfortunately I can not say the same for the male nurse which plays the most important role. This was the first time I had left my father in this type of facility and for sure the last.

My father has Alzheimer’s and placed on the second floor in memory care and what at first seemed wonderful turned out to be a nightmare for our family. Please be careful when you sign the contract and make sure they add and specify what type of care they are going to be giving your senior. My contract had only rate information even though it was more then 25 pages long. Atria said they are 24 /7 care, but this is not true, they do not have enough staffing.
The problem started when friends and family went to see my Dad and called me frantic that when they walked in at 1100am, my father was fully dressed inside the bed sleeping with a breakfast tray next to his bed that had not been touch. My Dad need assistance to eat. Atria said that all residents eat in the dining area and assisted that is not true. I had to send my old care taker to go and feed him every night there after. My father was being left alone all day with the TV on and setting in a TRANSFER WHEEL CHAIR. My friends and family would visit at different hours and he would be alone in his room with no one around. With those not familiar with Alzheimer, it is inhuman to leave a mentally impaired or any person for that matter unattended and alone for long periods of time. That is why when my family and friends found him, he was shaking and confused.
You can imagine when I got off the plane on a Saturday night around 7pm , I went straight to see him, and he was asleep in the room, his dirty clothes in piles thrown on the floor of his closet, food crumbs and food remains all over the room and bathroom, the carpet had not been vacuumed in days , his room filthy dirty.
His eye glassed smudged and dirty and his hearing aids were broken. When I came back the next morning to pick him up and take him home the room was in the same condition as the night before and once again my dad was in his room alone with the door close, when he should have been doing some type of activity.

When I brought him home and took of his clothes, he had a huge blister in his forearm and he could not move his fingers or his hand same side as the blister was. I took him to the doctor the next day and doctor believes after intensive exams and scans, was caused by that the trauma he endured at Atria. The doctor says the blister was from long hours of exposure from setting in his transport chair.

I would not recommend Atria for memory care to anyone and don’t be fooled, the Activity calendar they present is a façade.
There is limited supervision.

" NOT ALL THE SHINES IS GOLD "

Kate Vance

We are so sorry to hear about your father’s experience at our community and would like to speak with you personally to gain a better understanding of the situation. Please contact us directly at [removed] and if you would kindly include “Atria Burlingame” in your subject line, we can quickly include the appropriate directors in the correspondence. Thank you for calling this to our attention, we are here to help.

It’s close to public transportation which is a five for me.

They weren’t very honest with my initial questions. I really needed a place when I got out of the hospital. The food could be better. They have an outside area. It’s close to public transportation which is a five for me.

Kate Vance

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for any confusion as a result of your initial inquiry and we welcome the opportunity to speak with you further to clarify where we may have missed the mark on our communication. We are always willing to look at areas that need improvement and it sounds like you may have some suggestions for the food as well. Please feel free to reach out via [removed] and if you include “Atria Burlingame” in your subject line we can quickly include all the right people on the correspondence. We’d love to hear from you.

Adequate, not great Community

The admission staff at Atria Burlingame was very supportive of me when I transitioned my father from the skilled nursing home into their Memory Care Community. They provided temporary furniture, a walker, linens and towels for him to use until his own belongings where delivered.

Now that my father has been in the community for 2 months, I do see some things that could be improved. And I wonder about the qualifications of the caretakers; some seem quite young, timid and inexperienced for a job with such demanding responsibilities. My father told me he felt one of the caretakers did not want to apply the hydrocortisone cream that the doctor prescribed for a rash he developed on his upper torso, we suspect from the laundry detergent used at the facility.

One thing that really bothered me early on, was that my father was not bathed within the first month after he arrived, even though his bathing frequency was on the schedule. I am not sure where this breakdown in communication occurred. Another issue arose when I informed the Life Guidance Director (Memory Care) that I bought an extra set of bed linens and asked that my father's sheets be changed; I was disappointed when I visited later in the week and the same linens were still on his bed.

I have never tried the food, but my father sometimes complains about it being bland or that the meat could be more tender.

I think the activities (i.e. dancing, flower arranging) are geared more towards the female residents. I have spoken to the Activities Director about this and asked if they could plan more activities that may appeal to their male residents. I asked them do something for the Giants home opener and they did.

And I have seen some things with other residents that concern me that I will not go into here.

The Life Guidance Director is good about managing my father's toiletries and medicines. If something is running low, he offers to go purchase it.

It is very convenient for me that they bring my father to the City for his doctor's appointments where I then meet them.

Is Atria Burlingame great? No. Is there room for improvement? Yes. I do not think one will ever find a community that will deliver everything it promises. I just keep my eyes open and realize I have to be my father's advocate in the community.

All in all, its an adequate community. The location is great and the weather is nice (on sunny days we like to sit on the patio out front).

Kate Vance

Thank you for making us aware of your father’s experience. I am happy to hear that you felt supported during his transition and with transportation to his appointments. We would like to connect with you personally, however, to make sure your current concerns are addressed. We always welcome feedback from our families as they can provide valuable insight to how we can constantly improve the experience of those we serve. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate directors but I encourage you to reach out via [removed] and be sure to include “Atria Burlingame” in your subject line.

Good Place for My Mom

When I first went and did the evaluation before we decided to move my mom there it was very clean and very friendly. I'm out of town so I don't get to visit that much but the friendliness of the staff, the activities that were available, the locations and the overall energy of the place was really good. It felt like a good place for my mom to be. She'd rather be at home but she does like it there. They have yoga and bingo and scrabble and they do party type things like they had a luau. They have other activities where they take people out into the community to do things.

Good Location, High Staff Turnover

The best part of Atria Burlingame is the location. The worst part is the staff turnover. It's okay to have turnover but when it's really noticable, it's not good.

My mom is in assisted living and she is not using a lot of the care services. The care is limited in what they offer. If you look at it in terms of actual quality it's probably a 4.5 but in terms of what they offer, it's average.

For the activities, I don't think the variety is there to account for the different levels of the residents. My mom has complained that a lot of the the activites are geared towards people who are less mobile and she's still fairly mobile.

Kate Vance

We realize that it has been some time since your review. While we have had some turnover at our community, we strive to make changes that are in the best interest of those we serve. We do hope that your concerns have long since been addressed but welcome you to reach out to us directly via [removed] if your mother has suggestions for activities that would inspire her to participate more. We appreciate your feedback and are here to help!

Friendly Place to Live

This place is just what my mother wanted. A small of enough community so she will not get lost in the shuffle, but large enough to have an ample amount of diversity. Friendly and conscientious staff administers the place well.

Staff was friendly; place was clean; ...

Staff was friendly; place was clean; nice location; room size felt like living in a hotel room;

Parking underneath building. Fee inc...

Parking underneath building. Fee includes everything but phone Fee includes all meals Veteran's Benefits Care charged per hour Alzheimer - no separate facility Good walking and neighborhood

Seems to me it is okay. Can have pet...

Seems to me it is okay. Can have pets in the apartment.

Lovely setting & I loved the place. ...

Lovely setting & I loved the place. Lots of activities, friendly staff. 67 residents, most of whom are smiling and happy. The rooms are clean, and, airy. Nice park across the street & Burlingame Ave is a couple of blocks away. My tour guide spent alot of time going over Mom's needs, and, I felt she had a good understanding of the situation and offered alot of advise on how to try to get Mom re-engage in life. No question in my mind, if a move needs to be made, this is the place for my Mom.

Set within the City of Trees on the San Francisco Peninsula, Atria Burlingame offers a progressive senior living community for active adults. We’re located across the street from Washington Park, which provides scenic views for nearly every apartment. We are also convenient to the shops and restaurants of downtown Burlingame and San Francisco, with easy access to the San Francisco International Airport.

Residents delight in our warm environment and intimate, family atmosphere. Our 24-hour staff sees every resident request as an opportunity to deliver a more fulfilling experience, and we’re always ready to provide discreet assistance whenever needed. We also offer specialized memory care services in our signature Life Guidance® neighborhood for residents with Alzheimer’s or dementia.

No matter what the request, our dedication to help every resident thrive makes Atria Burlingame one of the premier assisted living communities in the Burlingame, California area. We welcome you to visit us today to see more.

License #415600184