Consultant Hours
  • Mon - Fri: 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM PT
  • Sat - Sun: 5:00 AM - 5:30 PM PT

Kansas City Senior Realtors

Moving can be stressful for anyone, but seniors have to take a few new situations into account. You might be working with a tight retirement budget, downsizing, or thinking about long-term care. These add to the stress, and if your real estate agent doesn’t have any experience with these things, they might not be able to help you. Luckily, Kansas City has highly qualified agents to make your move as a senior simple.

What Does It Mean To Be a Senior Realtor?

To be considered a senior realtor, an agent must have some additional qualifications. In Missouri, an agent can go about this one of two ways. During their general training, they can add approved courses to their schedule and get the Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) qualification through the National Association of Realtors. Agents could also go to the Senior Real Estate Institute and get the Certified Senior Housing Professional (CSHP), but not in every state. Some agents decide they want both.

Along with extra training, these agents get the chance to work with other professionals that specialize in senior needs. Attorneys, CPAs, and social workers can help seniors with a variety of requirements, and your SRES or CSHP agent can refer you to one.

Working With a Senior Real Estate Specialist

You need to be 50 years or older to work with a senior realtor, but you don’t have to be retired. While newly retired adults do make up a significant portion of these agent’s clients, working professionals, empty nesters, and older adults moving to nursing homes are also common.

When Is It Best To Contact a Senior Real Estate Specialist?

When you’re ready to move, whether it's to a smaller house, new state, or into a new community, you should contact an SRES or CSHP agent. A qualified agent can make the whole process easier by learning and sticking to your budget as well as finding the best use of your money through things like reverse mortgages or other financial tools.

You can also contact an agent even if you’re not moving. If you have trouble getting around your house but want to stay there or have elderly parents with a similar problem, an agent can help you find the right professionals to make your home accessible. They can add lift bars around the house, wheelchair ramps at entrances, or stairwell chair lifts.

Agents will also work to time all sales with other plans going on at that point. If you’re selling your house and planning your estate, your agent can work with your attorney to make sure it all goes smoothly. An SRES or CSHP can even refer you to a lawyer if you don’t have one.

How Can I Find SRES or CSHP Agents?

If you have a firm in mind, you can ask if they have any qualified agents. You could also search online for firms with agents. CSHP directory lists all agents in the state along with their website link.

Enter your zip code into the search function of the National Association of Realtors website to find SRES agents. You can also find agents with various qualifications to make your move even easier. Some agents deal with retired military relocation, green building, foreclosures, and international real estate.

Learn more about Kansas City Retirement Planning here:

How Much Does It Cost to Retire in Kansas City, MO?

What's the Cost of Living in Kansas City, MO?

Kansas City Financial Advisors

Kansas City Elder Law Attorneys

Kansas City Senior Movers and Downsizers

Kansas City Neighborhood Guide

Live Like a Local in Kansas City

Kansas City Demographics and Lifestyle

Find assisted living in Kansas City near you.